Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
DELTA Link: Same Day Travel Changes | Delta Air Lines [as per web site July 2015, 2015]
Same-Day Confirmed

When You Need to Change Your Flight

Eligibility
  • You can use the same-day confirmed option for travel within the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection® flights.
  • You may request a same-day flight change up to 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight; however changes are limited to flights departing on the same day of ticketed departure.
  • If you have a flexible fare (usually a refundable ticket), you may be able to change your itinerary without a fee.
  • If you have an Economy fare, you can only be rebooked in the same fare class as your original flight.
  • If you have a premium cabin fare, -- including Delta One™, First and Business Class -- you may make a same-day confirmed change as long as a seat is available in the premium cabin
  • Award Tickets are same-day confirmed eligible.
  • Origin, destination or co-terminal (LGA to JFK) changes are not same-day confirmed eligible.
  • Same-Day Confirmed changes from connection to non-stop flights are not permitted.
  • Basic Economy fare (E) for flights flown on or after February 1, 2015 are not eligible for same-day confirmed travel changes.

Fees

Silver Medallion members, general SkyMiles members and non-members:
  • $50 USD Same-Day Change Fee - If your requested flight is same-day confirmed eligible
  • Applicable Change Fee -These fees vary based on your ticket and its fare rules, and will be due if you have a restricted fare and your requested flight is outside of same-day travel eligibility. Change fees are dictated by the fare rules.

Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members:
  • $50 USD Same-Day Confirmed Fee Waived - If the requested flight is same-day confirmed eligible the $50 fee will be waived.
  • Applicable Change Fee - These fees vary based on your ticket and its fare rules, and will be due if you have a restricted fare and your requested flight is outside of same-day travel eligibility. Change fees are dictated by the fare rules.

Basic Economy (E) fares are not eligible to make same-day confirmed or same-day standby travel changes, regardless of Medallion or other elite status, for flights flown on or after February 1, 2015.

Additional Rules
  • Medallion complimentary upgrades do not transfer to your rebooked ticket.
  • Trip Extras or seats purchased for the original flight do not transfer to your rebooked ticket. Please note the original terms and conditions for Trip Extras, Delta Comfort+™ and Preferred Seats.
  • The same-day travel program is subject to change and the rules in effect on the date of travel will apply.
Same-Day Standby

When There Are No Seats Available

If you are unable to secure a new flight(s) with the same-day confirmed option, you can choose to fly standby with the same-day standby option.

Eligibility
  • Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available.
  • You may request a same-day flight change up to 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight.
  • Silver Medallion members, general SkyMiles members and non-members may only fly same-day standby for a flight that is earlier than their original flight.
  • Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members may standby for a flight any time on the same day as their original flight.
  • No routing changes are allowed.
  • Eligible same-day standby flights must be on the same day as the original flight, starting 12am of the same day to 11:59pm the same day.
  • Change is only permitted based on the original ticketed paid cabin. For example, customers confirmed in RU class may only standby for flights in the Economy cabin
  • Basic Economy fare (E) for flights flown on or after February 1, 2015 are not eligible for same-day standby travel changes.
  • You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights.
  • You may request a same-day flight change up to 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight.

Fees

Silver Medallion members, general SkyMiles members and non-members:
  • $50 USD Standby Fee - Standby fee will be collected, but your card will not be charged until you are assigned a seat on the standby flight

Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members:
  • $50 USD Standby Fee Waived

Basic Economy (E) fares are not eligible to make same-day confirmed or same-day standby travel changes, regardless of Medallion or other elite status, for flights flown on or after February 1, 2015.

Additional Rules
  • Standby not permitted to/from Canada
  • Standby permitted for multi-segment flights. Customers must stand by for each individual flight segment. Standby fees are not refundable once you are assigned a seat on the first standby segment.
Same-Day Standby Upgrades

The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings:
  • Within North America (except JFKLAX, JFKSEA and JFKSFO).
  • To/from Aruba, Bermuda, Grand Cayman (Cayman Islands), Los Cabos (Mexico), Montego Bay (Jamaica), Nassau (Bahamas), Providenciales (Turks and Caicos), San Juan (Puerto Rico), and St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands)
  • Between Atlanta and Costa Rica, St. Maarten and St. Lucia
  • Between Cancun (Mexico)and Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Indianapolis, Memphis and Minneapolis

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska
Code:
Traveling                 Y/B/M Fares     S/H/Q/K/L Fares  U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles            $49             $119             $169

501 to 1,000 miles        $79             $149             $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles      $99             $209             $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles      $149            $249             $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles      $239            $269             $359

3,001 miles and up        $329            $369             $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling               Y/B/M Fares  S/H/Q/K/L Fares  U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles    $239         $269             $359

3,001 miles and up      $329         $369             $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling                     Y / B / M / H / Q/ K Fares

0 to 500 miles                $50

501 to 1,000 miles            $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles          $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles          $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles          $225

3,001 miles and up            $350
Print Wikipost

Improvements to Same-Day Travel

Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AKC6
Paging DwayneSkyMiles : Before this thread gets over a thousand posts (probably in in hour or so), could you share with us the reason for the rule "exact match" on fare codes, rather than "same fare class or lower"?
The 24-hr rule is a much appreciated benefit but here is the biggest problem. Changing the rule to same fare class or lower and the biggest hump is resolved. Far too often the same fare class is simply not available.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
The fare classes thing just makes this next to useless for me since I can and do plan my travel in advance.

I would think they would be looking at waiving the fare class restrictions for oversold flights but I'll take the extra $400 when all I wanted to do was get home earlier if thats what they want.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
The 24-hr rule is a much appreciated benefit but here is the biggest problem. Changing the rule to same fare class or lower and the biggest hump is resolved. Far too often the same fare class is simply not available.
As mersk862 said, if lower buckets are open, your bucket will be open. Can you give a specific example of what exactly you're trying to ask for here?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mersk862
If a lower booking class is open (i.e. X), then K is going to be open. There's never a time where K is closed but T is open.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ory-y0-b2.html
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by mtkeller
As mersk862 said, if lower buckets are open, your bucket will be open. Can you give a specific example of what exactly you're trying to ask for here?
If V,X has time restrictions for pre-sale but the L,U,T+ don't isn't it possible to sell out LUT but still have V,X remaining (but not for sale)?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:51 am

'cause DL IT has never had a momentary glitch before?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by jb008
If V,X has time restrictions for pre-sale but the L,U,T+ don't isn't it possible to sell out LUT but still have V,X remaining (but not for sale)?
No. E is a subset of V is a subset of X is a subset of T…B is a subset of Y. In other words, if you list the fare classes from lowest to highest, the numbers in those buckets (barring an occasional glitch) will always be increasing (technically, nondecreasing).
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by misterbean
Wow, this is interesting on many levels.
First, a change after three months means something was very wrong, and they felt it immediately. A quick rectifying effort makes it seem like they admit a mistake.
Second, it's refreshing to see that somebody finally recognized that the SDC change was a huge slap in the face to elites and that while revenue is important, there are lines you shouldn't cross.
Third, it will be interesting to see the Q2 profits tomorrow. My guess is we'll see a large number. I wonder if DL underestimated its own profits, and looking to do some elite damage-control by waiving the $50 fee, in sacrifice of some future revenue, since other revenue sources are performing well.
I have a slightly different take on all this. DL seems to be in the habit of making major devaluations, then giving back a small sliver of a benefit to make them seem responsive. (T-72, SDC, etc.) Then when they do so, half the people who were pissed off thank them and forget the gutting they did in the first place. I'm of the belief the major "enhancements" are now planned this way from the beginning.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtkeller
'cause DL IT has never had a momentary glitch before?
Just sayin' it happens. That one lasted about half an hour. Whatever the reason, the question remains: what if you were on a Y fare and wanted to SDC on to that flight?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
I have a slightly different take on all this. DL seems to be in the habit of making major devaluations, then giving back a small sliver of a benefit to make them seem responsive. (T-72, SDC, etc.) Then when they do so, half the people who were pissed off thank them and forget the gutting they did in the first place. I'm of the belief the major "enhancements" are now planned this way from the beginning.
It's possible, I guess.. I like to be more of an optimist
However, 3 months is long enough for those who got mad enough to jump ship, and I doubt this will get them back on board. If you want to limit the outrage, why wait so long?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: Skyteam
Indian giver?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The fare buckets work much more often like that in the Y region where the lower buckets are a subset of the higher, although there are exceptions as noted.

A bigger problem is with the first class fares, where I actually see fairly often situations where it is P2A0G1 so if you have an A fare you're screwed. A always seems to be a subset of P but the G can pop up when the others aren't available. I also see domestic routes with intl flight numbers where I or Z has inventory but no D.

Either way, it still doesn't fix the problem where the SDC rules hose pax sitting up front unless they have a full F.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
This actually seems like good news.

Not... Sure... How... To... Respond...
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
That is an anomaly.

mersk862 properly explained the deal.

I will say thanks, Delta. If any of you recall, I was pretty tough on them on this issue. And let the truth be known, I haven't used the SDC or SDS policy either way since then but that wasn't the point. The point was that it was overcomplicated. It still is (because of fare buckets, which clearly a lot of people don't understand) but less than it was.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Originally Posted by mersk862
If a lower booking class is open (i.e. X), then K is going to be open. There's never a time where K is closed but T is open.

Keep in mind this is from an inventory perspective, which is what matters; just because a T fare might not be selling on your exact route doesn't mean T is closed.
I can personally testify that this statement (if X is opened K must be opened as well), though should be true-given the pyramid structure of the fares- is incorrect. I was 'burned' by that.
I wanted to thank the OP for the update (seriously)^. It's nice to be able to receive update and be able to plan ahead accordingly. I hope that the issue of 'UP' fares would be addressed with the same programming update.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.