Companion SWU FUBAR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Companion SWU FUBAR

Hello All,
Apologies for the long post, but the details are almost laughable:

You may notice that this is my first FT post in a while. I've been a longtime reader, and the recent http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...u-madness.html thread, coupled with my frustration of Delta's mishandling of my recent attempts to use an SWU for a companion compelled me to seek your collective wisdom on the below matter. (Given how complicated the aforementioned thread got, I have about .1% confidence that Delta would be able to get my situation correct.)

Several weeks ago I was traveling SFO-JFK RT with a colleague who I wanted to have sit with me in J. I booked he and I both K class tickets, and called the DM line to have my SWUs applied to both his and my tickets. We were on the same PNR.

T-24 I checked us in online and went to view the upgrade list. I was #1 (and continued to be all the way through boarding). However I was listed as having only one person in my party. Because I know how often these situations get messed up I called the DM line to bring this to their attention. The lady placed me on hold to speak to her supervisor and came back to explain that my companion was listed in my PNR on Delta's back end, but that I wouldn't see him on the upgrade list. She explained however, that since we were on the same PNR if my upgrade cleared, so would my companion's.

Fast forward to SFO. We arrived at the SkyClub and asked the agent to confirm that my companion and I were on the UG list. She said that I was #1 but my companion wasn't in the system. So I called the DM line while at the SC and spoke to another agent. After explaining the situation and another fairly long hold (~10 minutes because I looked at the call time after a while) the agent came back on and explained to me the exact same thing that the agent the previous day had said; that my companion would be upgraded right along side me if I was cleared.

About 30 minutes before the flight we made our way to the gate, where I asked the gate agent to confirm that my companion would be upgraded if I was, per the DM agents. Lo and behold they had no record of my companion being on any sort of upgrade or standby or SWU lists. I tried to remain as calm as possible and had a pretty civilized/professional discussion with the other gate agent about it who shrugged his shoulders and apologized but said there was nothing he could do, and he encouraged me to file a complaint on Delta's website.

I wrote Delta an email (from the flight) explaining the situation, and received an email back a few days later (unacceptable IMO for a pissed off DM) offering "their most sincere apologies, blah blah blah" and saying that they don't know what happened at the gate but that it was probably mishandled although they couldn't be sure. They also offered between 4000 and 7500 SMs (I can't remember the exact amount).

I wrote back and asked what I could do to make sure the same situation didn't happen on our return flight. Just like the other two agents who I spoke to, she said "everything looks in order, etc."

Fast forward to JFK for our return leg as well as few similar phone calls prior to the flight with identical responses to the ones above from the DM agents and then the exact same situation occurred at the gate. When I got the shoulder shrug this time, however, I politely asked the gate agent to call over a supervisor which she did. This gentleman wasn't a a red coat but a man in business attire (slacks and button-up) and not a DL uniform (just a badge). He admitted that he had no idea how this was supposed to work and suggested that perhaps SWUs could only be used for the named recipient and not a companion. He again apologized but said there was nothing he could do. The gate agents and supervisor told me to call the DM line. There were two seats left in J, and yet again I was upgraded but my companion was passed over.

At this point I called the DM line and explained the situation (while the flight was boarding). The DM agent couldn't even find my companion on the upgrade or standby list and wasn't sure what the gate agents had done to kick him off. Of course the upgrades had already been cleared and I didn't want to make too much of a scene or delay the flight. But at this point the DM agent actually asked me to get off the plane and go put the gate agents on the phone, so I literally had the gate agents talking to the DM agent on my own personal cell phone. I thought this whole situation was one of the most unprofessional experiences in recent memory. Again, there was nothing that they could do at this point.

I emailed back the same DL agent who responded to my first set of emails who explained everything should work out properly on the return leg. She again told me she had no idea what had happened and would give us some miles (7500 each for my companion and I btw, which is a joke). I asked to have a supervisor call me the following week so I could understand what had happened, but she never acknowledged that request in her response.

Given the above details I have a few questions and thoughts:
1: Was I in the wrong regarding the ability to apply a SWU cert to a companion and have him placed on the standby list with me? (If I was not allowed to do this per DL rules that's totally fine, but one of the six agents I spoke to should have noticed that and told me.)
2: I'm equally if not more upset by the inconsistencies in messages I received from the DM line and the people "on the ground" at the airport than the fact that my companion didn't get upgraded.
3: Is there someone at the airport to contact in a situation like this who has the authority to "make it right?" I do not like causing a scene or being a DYKWIA at the airport especially when I know the gate agents probably don't have the ability to fix it.
4: Do you think I'm entitled to a phone call from a DL supervisor? I recall getting an unsolicited one last year as a PM on a Saturday morning hours after my flight had arrived. In that situation I wrote to them about something stupid like my SkyPriority bag coming out with the rest of the baggage. Clearly this situation actually upset me quite a bit. A luxury hotel or restaurant would never let a top-tier member of their loyalty program walk away so disgusted with his experience.
5: Do you think 7500 miles is sufficient compensation for this? I feel like the amount of miles they've been giving out lately have started to decrease. They used to send 7500 miles for not getting a pre-flight beverage or little stuff like that.
6: Any other suggestions for what I should have done or or can still do to make sure this doesn't go down the same way in the future?

Lastly I'll just tell you that the irony of the whole situation is that my companion is a frequent VX traveler who I convinced to take a DL flight with me so I could show him DL's superior J service

Last edited by jir224; Jul 8, 2013 at 10:51 pm
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:55 pm

I have used SWUs for a companion upgrade on TATL before, no problem.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
For an incident that happened in the last few days/weeks and was distressing enough to write 3+ pages, it's really weird that you don't remember, or at the least can't pull up the email to get it right in your post

Originally Posted by jir224
They also offered between 4000 and 7500 SMs (I can't remember the exact amount).
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:30 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
from my limited (read: 4 flights) experience, please see below:
1. Nope, not wrong. The rules specifically allow one companion to upgrade with SWU as long as he or she is on the same PNR (not linked, but identical PNR). The agent was misinformed
2. I guess this is a point of view situation - the gate agent has detailed knowledge and understanding of one facet of the process and everything is seen through that lens - res agent on the line sees it through different lens. Not excusable, terribly frustrating, but understandable
3. Honestly, the airport may be too late. The swu thread has some pointers (which apply in a companion situation as well), including order of segments and status for each. While others disagree, I opt to _refuse_ the complimentary upgrade request for both me and the companion at OLCI and wait for the OP/OU/whatever waitlist to do its magic. If standing on the list does not appear right (me at or about #1 and comp at #2), I call the medallion line to un-check in and re-check in when it's properly coded. by the time you get to the airport, there is little that can be done - you might not find a knowledgeable and willing agent and even if you do, gate control can make them sets disappear before you get it sorted out.
4. I am not sure a call is likely, but you can argue for more compensation, I have received 12.5k miles, the equivalent of a one-way upgrade for a bothed swu companion priority upgrade
5. I guess that's covered in #4. I also managed to have a swu reopened after another botched story - where the swu cleared on a 300-mile flight but was screwed up for the transcon.
6. Working with the phone line is your better bet. And unless you boh show waitlisted and near the top of the list upon checkin, start over and try again...

Originally Posted by jir224
1: Was I in the wrong regarding the ability to apply a SWU cert to a companion and have him placed on the standby list with me? (If I was not allowed to do this per DL rules that's totally fine, but one of the six agents I spoke to should have noticed that and told me.)
2: I'm equally if not more upset by the inconsistencies in messages I received from the DM line and the people "on the ground" at the airport than the fact that my companion didn't get upgraded.
3: Is there someone at the airport to contact in a situation like this who has the authority to "make it right?" I do not like causing a scene or being a DYKWIA at the airport especially when I know the gate agents probably don't have the ability to fix it.
4: Do you think I'm entitled to a phone call from a DL supervisor? I recall getting an unsolicited one last year as a PM on a Saturday morning hours after my flight had arrived. In that situation I wrote to them about something stupid like my SkyPriority bag coming out with the rest of the baggage. Clearly this situation actually upset me quite a bit. A luxury hotel or restaurant would never let a top-tier member of their loyalty program walk away so disgusted with his experience.
5: Do you think 7500 miles is sufficient compensation for this? I feel like the amount of miles they've been giving out lately have started to decrease. They used to send 7500 miles for not getting a pre-flight beverage or little stuff like that.
6: Any other suggestions for what I should have done or or can still do to make sure this doesn't go down the same way in the future?

Lastly I'll just tell you that the irony of the whole situation is that my companion is a frequent VX traveler who I convinced to take a DL flight with me so I could show him DL's superior J service
Originally Posted by flyerslc
I have used SWUs for a companion upgrade on TATL before, no problem.
The tricky part about using SWU on the transcon flights is that there is (almost always) no upgrade inventory upfront to clear right away - so you are playing the standby /priority list game at the airport.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by greathustle
For an incident that happened in the last few days/weeks and was distressing enough to write 3+ pages, it's really weird that you don't remember, or at the least can't pull up the email to get it right in your post
I looked it up for you. For the outbound leg they gave me 4k miles and for the return it was 7500. Here's the original email in case you want to read another page. Let me know if it helps you think of an answer to my questions

Dear Mr. XX,

RE: Case Number XX

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding the service provided while

traveling with us on June 9, 2013. On behalf of everyone at Delta Air
Lines, I sincerely apologize for your upgrade concerns.

I am truly sorry to learn of your experience when you and your travel
companion, Eric YY, waitlisted for an upgrade on Flight 1940 using

your Systemwide Upgrade Certificates (SWU). Although I am happy to
read that you were upgraded, I apologize that Mr. YY was not. Our

records indicate that both you and Mr. YY were listed so I do
apologize for the miscommunication.

Regarding your return flight on June 14, both of you are currently on
the waitlist using your SWU certificates. As you may be aware, if space

is not available at the time of booking, you are automatically added to

the airport standby list and receive an upgrade if there are seats
available on Delta operated flights. As a high valued member, your
feedback is extremely important to us as we are constantly enhancing our

loyalty program to keep it strong and of value to our customers. Be
assured I will be forwarding your comments to our SkyMiles Marketing and

Airport Customer Service leadership teams for their internal follow up.

As a gesture of apology for your upgrade discrepancy and poor impression

you received in this instance, I have added 4,000 bonus miles to each
of
your SkyMiles accounts. Please allow three business days for the miles
to appear.

Mr. XX, thank you for your support as a Diamond Medallion member
and for trusting your business to us. Be assured, we will make every
attempt to serve you well; we are focused on the future and look forward

to our continued business relationship.

Sincerely,

XX XXX
Coordinator, Corporate Customer Care
Delta Air Lines
Old Jul 9, 2013, 2:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Companion SWU FUBAR

OP, I believed you achieved your goal of showing your companion DL's superior service.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sounds like you had the proper UP2A coding while your companion was not coded properly for any sort of upgrade so the system did not give the correct priority (or any priority) on the gate upgrade list.

Yes another FAIL with the SWUs.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
Sounds like you had the proper UP2A coding while your companion was not coded properly for any sort of upgrade so the system did not give the correct priority (or any priority) on the gate upgrade list.

Yes another FAIL with the SWUs.
Precisely Ryan, you must get a Diamond agent who will code both as UP2A. Call until you get someone to do this otherwise it will fail... Been thru this many, many times.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:18 am

I will be trying this very scenario next week and will report back.

Had the cert and redemption code numbers manually entered, and will be on the phone to verify at T-24.

I wonder if it is a reservation split issue.

Should we request to have the reservation split, so the companion shows on the upgrade list separately?
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If the reservation is split, you're going to get a hard time from agents for using an SWU, since technically according to the T&C both pax must be on the same PNR (which is one of the most customer unfriendly things about an SWU and no good reason for it).
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:00 pm

I want to report a successful use of the SWU on a transcon with a companion.

Here's how I did it...

1. Purchased both tickets together - didn't try fooling with merging a reservation after purchase

2. When initially waitlisted before 24 hour window opens had a reservation agent make sure the certificate number and redemption code are listed in the reservation record for both passengers

3. The record on Delta.com showed two listings - one for coach, the other for the waitlisted 'O' class. It also said 'Upgrade Eligible' instead of 'Upgrade Requested.' This is key - because if your reservations ays 'Upgrade Requested' the Medallion upgrade waitlist could take over and screw up your SWU priority.

4. Checked in online and both passengers shot to the top of the list immediately, and stayed there. We were #s 1 and 2 for 3 seats remaining. Nice deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.