Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Beware: small flock of middle aged women barefoot in JFK t4 club right now

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware: small flock of middle aged women barefoot in JFK t4 club right now

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit having a foot fetish....
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Were they dressed in black?
OP hasn't shared that information. But there's a good chance they have "crows feet".
Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
I shudder to think of the germs hanging around security, particularly in warm weather climates where people just have slip-on shoes without socks. If you see a guy at security wearing shorts with shoes and socks, that's probably me. Fashion faux pas, but, ew, I don't want to know what's on those floors.

But definitely yucky to have to see that in the lounge.

Mike
I presume you don't have a pair of socks which you swap out once you have passed through security. In which case, as long as there are no open sores on your feet, being barefoot and having socks doesn't make a difference.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
I presume you don't have a pair of socks which you swap out once you have passed through security. In which case, as long as there are no open sores on your feet, being barefoot and having socks doesn't make a difference.
Socks only get worn through security. Put on before and taken off afterward.

I don't know if learning that it doesn't make a difference makes me feel better or worse.

Mike
Old Jul 19, 2013, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I can't imagine that bare feet present more of a health risk than shoes in a food service area. Unless, as noted earlier, they used their toes to serve themselves!
I'm not talking about comparative risk and hygiene, but the fact that most municipalities ban bare feed in food service areas.

Aren't they worried about stepping on broken glass?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Aren't they worried about stepping on broken glass?
They would appear disinterested in saving their soles.

Last edited by Sabai; Jul 19, 2013 at 9:28 pm
Old Jul 19, 2013, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Sabai
They would appear disinterested in saving their soles.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Here's the thing, the airline's Contract of Carriage states no barefoot flying, I don't think that covers the SkyClub/Greyhound bus terminal lounge.
Well in all honesty, I only became aware of this fact a few months ago when I saw an extensive discussion on this topic, I think in the aforementioned thread cataloguing photos of disgusting practices. My whole life I never knew you weren't allowed to fly barefoot. Does that mean I've ever done it? Nope, even before I knew it was against the terms. Slip-ons, yes. With socks. But never sandals or barefoot. That is just gross. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that flyertalk is the only reason I even know this is part of the CoC. I guarantee you almost none of the general public knows this. And if DL employees are aware of it, I've never seen them do anything about it. I've kept an eye out ever since learning about the no-no, but I've seen so many sandals or sockless feet in shoes, and often times these are removed from passengers' feet.

update: a guy just came into the ANC boardroom, wearing sandals and no socks...

Last edited by brocklee9000; Jul 19, 2013 at 9:48 pm
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Just wanted to give a heads up for anyone that might be caught off guard.

Shoes and socks seem to have become optional. They seem to be enjoying walking around and feeling the new carpet under their feet. Pedicures desperately needed. Saw manager of the club walk by without saying a thing. Absolutely fabulous.
And for all we know, 1 hour prior, they started off at 45th and 7th doing the exact same thing
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit having a foot fetish....
Tell your father to drag Lambeer and Walton up and down the court for 48 minutes!
Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by brocklee9000
Well in all honesty, I only became aware of this fact a few months ago when I saw an extensive discussion on this topic, I think in the aforementioned thread cataloguing photos of disgusting practices. My whole life I never knew you weren't allowed to fly barefoot. Does that mean I've ever done it? Nope, even before I knew it was against the terms. Slip-ons, yes. With socks. But never sandals or barefoot. That is just gross. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that flyertalk is the only reason I even know this is part of the CoC. I guarantee you almost none of the general public knows this. And if DL employees are aware of it, I've never seen them do anything about it. I've kept an eye out ever since learning about the no-no, but I've seen so many sandals or sockless feet in shoes, and often times these are removed from passengers' feet.

update: a guy just came into the ANC boardroom, wearing sandals and no socks...

Barefoot means without shoes. Sandals count as shoes.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by twtrvl
Barefoot means without shoes. Sandals count as shoes.
Agreed, but you still--to varying degrees, depending on the sandals--have to see the feet, and hear the feet. Flip flops are worst. And they're not only gross to look at and gross to hear, apparently they're bad for the wearer's feet, too. I suppose that's a kind of poetic justice.

(Something tells me I should probably duck about now.)
Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:57 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
It's not really a big deal if their nasty feet are on the floor; however, this is a slippery slope.

Q - where do you think the feet end up next?

A - the table. And you will come in a few minutes after they leave and put your plate of food there.

Keep it classy ladies.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Q - where do you think the feet end up next?

Ymmv?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:11 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Exactly my point. Where the feet could end up next... It's one thing if they're strappy sandals, but flip flops that can be slipped off in a flash are the wildcards. I went down to the gate to board my flight, and since the inbound was a few minutes late, i got to witness the deplaning of the entire 757, and you could definitely tell who was flying into ANC to start a cruise. Namely the family in tank tops, cut-off, flip flops, and the daughter who was practically wearing only her bathing suit and these big fuzzy monster feet shoes. I don't know, maybe it's just me but...I could never travel like that. Sure I don't wear a suit when I fly, but I do try to at least look decent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.