Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hanging up my wings (IDB)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, EXP. DL, DM 1MM. HHonors, Diamond. Hertz, PC. National, EE.
Angry Hanging up my wings (IDB)

I was just informed that I will be heading up a new software product for my company, which would normally be a reason to celebrate. Unfortunately, it requires no travel, at all

I'm trying to keep what I'm already booked for, but my VP wants me to try and assign those to someone else if possible.

I'm really going to miss my nomadic life, but my wife is looking forward to having me home (home office) I'll still drop by here to keep up with the changes in the program. So, I'll be going from DM, to PM, to Annual Silver Kettle in the next two years.

It was all fun while it lasted. And at least I'm going out with enough miles for two RTW FC tickets. Enjoy the good life my fellow Nomads!!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
Congratulations on the new assignment. Do stop by to share the fruits of wisdom accumulated during your Nomadic years.

Cheers!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Same here...new (much better) job, and the limited flying will be on United, my new company's preferred carrier.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mcmitchell
I was just informed that I will be heading up a new software product for my company, which would normally be a reason to celebrate. Unfortunately, it requires no travel, at all

I'm trying to keep what I'm already booked for, but my VP wants me to try and assign those to someone else if possible.

I'm really going to miss my nomadic life, but my wife is looking forward to having me home (home office) I'll still drop by here to keep up with the changes in the program. So, I'll be going from DM, to PM, to Annual Silver Kettle in the next two years.

It was all fun while it lasted. And at least I'm going out with enough miles for two RTW FC tickets. Enjoy the good life my fellow Nomads!!
Unfortunately, I might actually want to travel due to tax reasons.
(I make more money working in Canada. If I paid Canadian taxes, I would be better off working overseas where my base salary is less but I get to keep more of my money. Flats are very expensive in both places, but luckily when living off my expense account, I get to keep and save lots of my money.)
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Congrats, and good luck. Sounds like you had a good run. Everything must come to an end.....
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Maybe it's time to write my book about the life of a road warrior.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
I don't see a negative in spending more time at home with wife and family. For me the travel is part of the necessary evil for my job. I don't do my job because I get to travel while doing it. Sometimes I do get the impression that some upper level members see their travel achievements as a priority over family time.
To each it's own of course and I might be wrong here. I just can't wrap my mind around it ;-)

If I had a choice I'd gladly hang up my wings and be home more :-)
Old Jul 18, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
Congrats on the new gig... But think, now you can regale us with stories of sleeping in your own bed night after night, not waking up wondering which generic Marriott/Hilton/Westin/etc you've just woken up in - Something most of us here have only heard tales about.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Frogbone
I don't see a negative in spending more time at home with wife and family. For me the travel is part of the necessary evil for my job. I don't do my job because I get to travel while doing it. Sometimes I do get the impression that some upper level members see their travel achievements as a priority over family time.
To each it's own of course and I might be wrong here. I just can't wrap my mind around it ;-)

If I had a choice I'd gladly hang up my wings and be home more :-)
We do what we do for what we believe maximizes our own utility. It used to be a game but when you hit the wall you need to reevaluate priorities. YMMV.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
If my job suddenly required no more travel I'd be happy, except for the loss of free hotel nights and such. Hope you come to feel the same!
Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by orca15
If my job suddenly required no more travel I'd be happy, except for the loss of free hotel nights and such. Hope you come to feel the same!
Me too. I've been doing it for 7 years now. I do not envy people who have traveled extensively for several decades as many on FT do.
I don't blame business travel for my divorce, but I probably would have never married my ex if I hadn't been a business traveler because I would have seen the signs earlier.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orca15
Now that I've had some time to reflect. I am happy.

So what if I don't have top tier airline, hotel, or car rental status? Those things are only important when you live your life on the road, which will no longer be the case for me. I guess I was too caught up with the perks to put them in perspective.

I do enjoy it when I work from home on occasion, and now I'll actually have the time to put my own pilot's license to use. My first grandchild is going to be here in a couple of months, so while I missed a lot of milestones with my own kids, I won't be missing any of hers if I can help it.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by northwest_buckeye
Congrats on the new gig... But think, now you can regale us with stories of sleeping in your own bed night after night, not waking up wondering which generic Marriott/Hilton/Westin/etc you've just woken up in - Something most of us here have only heard tales about.
Thanks! And I'll be sure to do that
Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irfan23
Congratulations on the new assignment. Do stop by to share the fruits of wisdom accumulated during your Nomadic years.

Cheers!
Thanks! Buy the book when I get it published!

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Congrats, and good luck. Sounds like you had a good run. Everything must come to an end.....
Thanks! That is was, time to pass the torch.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:33 am
Suspended

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I'd love to have an Nomadic job and constantly travel between various cities. I know after a few years I'd grow tired, but I don't have kids, and they aren't in the cards.

I work in Sales (for a digital Marketing firm) and am curious what recommendations others have for Sales roles that require lots of air travel? Any info appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.