New BE Service...

Old Jul 13, 13, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

New BE Service...

I just received a quick "blurb" that BE service is going to go back to CART SERVICE. The target date is 9/25.

The FAs are waiting to hear if that now means removing 1 FA position out of BE.

Years ago, NW did this and removed a position out of BE to save money. So...

I'm really not sure of why the change. I can only speculate.

Also, I've been in contact with JDiver, and it looks like I may get my handle change! From NWAFA to X NWA FA. Certainly since my retirement, the X is appropriate.

Thanks for all the help JDiver!

X NWA FA (maybe)
Old Jul 13, 13, 3:03 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
I thought the purpose of cart service was to make life easier for the FAs! Isn't cutting down staffing defeating the purpose of introducing cart service?
Old Jul 13, 13, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wiirachay View Post
I thought the purpose of cart service was to make life easier for the FAs! Isn't cutting down staffing defeating the purpose of introducing cart service?
I know what you mean. All of this came out of the blue. The FAs were surprised. This is speculation on my part, but I think the change is possibly due to the BE service taking to long in its current form.
Old Jul 13, 13, 3:13 pm

Programs: US CP, DL PM, UA Silver, HU/TJ Air Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat (Yay!)
Probably - the service does take too long, although I also hate it when its too rushed.
Old Jul 13, 13, 3:28 pm

Programs: Delta plebe
Originally Posted by NWAFA View Post
I just received a quick "blurb" that BE service is going to go back to CART SERVICE. The target date is 9/25.

Also, I've been in contact with JDiver, and it looks like I may get my handle change! From NWAFA to X NWA FA. Certainly since my retirement, the X is appropriate.

X NWA FA (maybe)
Thanks for the info! Might I suggest NWAFAret or retNWAFA as a possible handle for your consideration?
Old Jul 13, 13, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Location: No longer spreadin' into your seat... down 187 pounds and at goal!
Programs: Delta360; DL Private Jets; Former KFC Golden Bucket

X NWA FA (maybe)
NWAFA -- could this be related to DLs focus on sleep for BE passengers? Ie, faster service, especially on TATL, gives passengers more sleep time.

Also, back in glamourous days of flying, wasn't service from the cart the norm? Didn't some airlines have a carving station on a cart that went down the aisle?
Old Jul 13, 13, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Location: No longer spreadin' into your seat... down 187 pounds and at goal!
Programs: Delta360; DL Private Jets; Former KFC Golden Bucket
CO use to receive high marks for their BusinessFirst meal service. Wasn't it plated in the aisles from carts?

Last edited by fattieonboard; Jul 13, 13 at 3:50 pm
Old Jul 13, 13, 3:46 pm

X NWA FA (maybe)
The entrees will still be plated and hand-served from the galley...is that right?
Old Jul 13, 13, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais View Post
Probably - the service does take too long, although I also hate it when its too rushed.
Perhaps this is the compromise solution for the execution struggles with offering full service and express service meal offerings.

If I want to sleep, I eat before the flight. Otherwise I prefer the slower meal service while watching a movie or reading a book. And I prefer meals to be plated in the galley restaurant style vs the rolling buffet.

I wonder if Delta is planning to sell advertising space on the side of the carts.
Old Jul 13, 13, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jb008 View Post
Thanks for the info! Might I suggest NWAFAret or retNWAFA as a possible handle for your consideration?
You're welcome. I basically want to get away from some confusing my handle with a connection to AFA.

Originally Posted by fattieonboard View Post
NWAFA -- could this be related to DLs focus on sleep for BE passengers? Ie, faster service, especially on TATL, gives passengers more sleep time.

Also, back in glamourous days of flying, wasn't service from the cart the norm? Didn't some airlines have a carving station on a cart that went down the aisle?
I believe you're right. Most passengers want to get to sleep or work. Hopefully a happy balance can be found.

Yes about the cart service in FC. I can only speak about my experience with Northwest. The service took a total of 17 carts! But they were the small 3 tiered cart that could just be folded up and put away. Not the big catering carts. We used to "set" a table with table cloth, silver, chargers and glassware from a small cart. The food was hand run. (We did used to carve "table" side)

The service timing was fine. We had a galley person and two in the aisle. Another to pour wine and keep drinks fresh. At that time, the 747 100 and 200 seated 18 in FC.

Before FF miles and upgrades, many times I remember going to NRT with only 6 or 7 passengers. Once we only had 1!
Old Jul 13, 13, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OHDL1 View Post
The entrees will still be plated and hand-served from the galley...is that right?
At this point, I don't know. I just received the quick heads up about the carts. If I find out more, I will post the information.
Old Jul 13, 13, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I'm in the camp of those who want the food service to be faster than one normally gets going to Europe and Asia. For me, I want to go to sleep and I can later finish the movie that I started and go from there.
Old Jul 13, 13, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
I'm in the camp of those who want the food service to be faster than one normally gets going to Europe and Asia. For me, I want to go to sleep and I can later finish the movie that I started and go from there.
^
Old Jul 13, 13, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL KM, GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓, CLEAR, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
I consider this good news. BE meal service IME takes on average 2 hours. On a 7 or 8 hour TATL, that doesn't leave you with much time to sleep. Even if they use the big clunky catering carts, if it speeds up the service, I'll be happy.
Old Jul 13, 13, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
On a recently flight AMS-SEA I noticed they were using carts in BE. I was seated in the bulkhead of EC so I could watch. They were low carts that folded up and went away when not in use... not regular beverage service carts with the meals in them. They were plating in the galley and then rolling the carts out. It actually looked very nice and i was wondering about this as I had not seen it before-- perhaps it was a test run? Has anyone else seen this recently?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: