Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In need of MQMs....Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:02 am
Original Poster

When I look at my remaining flights for 2013, I'm coming up around 30K short of re-qualifying for DM for a 3rd straight year. I have the Delta credit card and will get 10K MQMs from that, but that leaves me with a 20K gap. I may be booking a few more flights for work, but I'm curious on any recommendations to get MQMs. Mileage run? Specials from outside vendors? Thoughts?

In addition to general recommendations, does Hertz or Marriott give you MQMs or are they just miles?? I'm always in a rental car and hotel, but obviously not flying long enough flights to easily re-qualify...

Appreciate the help!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, AA, UA, WN, E+ Gold
Best way to earn another 20k MQM is to fly. Book your upcoming flights for high-travel days when oversolds are not uncommon, such as Mondays or Sundays, and build flexibility into your schedule. Then look for VDB opportunities. You may be able to bag a few vouchers to help pay for some extra mileage runs.
Good thing about that next year is vouchers are a form of cash payment. I plan on doing more of that in 2014 to help meet the MQD requirements.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You should always watch for hotel and car offers that give MQMs, but generally you only get RDMs (and sometimes even this results in an added fee on rental cars). There had been a Hilton family promo for 1000 MQMs on two-night stays, but I don't know whether this has ended or not.

Last year you could buy up to 10,000 MQMs in December and January for about $1000, but one can't count on the same offer happening at the end of this year. You could also get some MQMs for purchasing a SC membership, but DMs get SC for free. In previous years, DL gave some MQMs if one made a donation to certain charities.

It might be best to plan to fly--or spend more to get additional MQMs from a DL AmEx Plat card (which you seem to have).
Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
For 20k MQM you need to think SIN BKK SYD JNB
Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by tentseller
For 20k MQM you need to think SIN BKK SYD JNB
Yep! That!

I am in the same boat. Q3-4 travel is being cut in half for me and that is about 23K that I need for DM this year. I will be booking one of these SIN or JNB runs that come up.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
you can fly LAX-SIN in Nov for $800 and get your 20k mqms. Done
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by MarkCron
you can fly LAX-SIN in Nov for $800 and get your 20k mqms. Done
Not quite if you are direct, even with routing via SLC SEA PDX SFO you are under 20k MQM.
SIN and BKK only work if you are east side of US. They are good choice due to no additional visa cost.
LAX best bet is LAX ATL JNB, if you can handle it LAX JFK/ATL AMS/CDG JNG will net more MQM at a lower cost.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For 150% MQMs, check for B (use SWUs) or discounted BE fares.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: SQ
Two BOS-ANC runs would net close to 20k, and would only cost 750$.

There is a lot of availability for all kinds of same day turns and short stays later in the year. Routing is very flexible on this one so its easy to get between 9-10k per RT.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Crossin Jordan
Best way to earn another 20k MQM is to fly. Book your upcoming flights for high-travel days when oversolds are not uncommon, such as Mondays or Sundays, and build flexibility into your schedule. Then look for VDB opportunities. You may be able to bag a few vouchers to help pay for some extra mileage runs.
Good thing about that next year is vouchers are a form of cash payment. I plan on doing more of that in 2014 to help meet the MQD requirements.
We don't know whether vouchers will count for MQD. Never assume, especially with DL.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: SPG-Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For 150% MQMs, check for B (use SWUs) or discounted BE fares.
Thats what I am doing on any flight I have to reschedule or change and the last 2 I did, I was able to go from a U T fares to all M and it cost $3.20 and 15.80 respectively and the 150% bonus equates to 6200 additional MQM for $19.00
Old Jul 10, 2013, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by InsUW2
Thats what I am doing on any flight I have to reschedule or change and the last 2 I did, I was able to go from a U T fares to all M and it cost $3.20 and 15.80 respectively and the 150% bonus equates to 6200 additional MQM for $19.00
I thought M fares no longer earn 150% MQMs.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite

How was an M fare that cheap compared to a U/T fare?
Old Jul 10, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold
Have you considered the AMEX Platinum Delta SkyMiles card - you can get 30k MQMs if you can spend $60k by year end.

bert
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: SPG-Gold
Originally Posted by suvayanr
How was an M fare that cheap compared to a U/T fare?
when the fares were originally purchased they were 6-700

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.