Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help in choosing Paris flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2013, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Help in choosing Paris flights

I will be booking 5 tickets MSP >> CDG for July 2014. 3 airlines offer the most interesting options, 2 nonstop (Delta, Air France) and one discount (Icelandair). Here are my thoughts, tell me where I am astray:

1. It is nearly always best now to book as early as possible, not like the old days when it made sense to wait for a sale. Prices almost always rise gradually from the date 11 months out when tickets are first offered till departure, usually at least doubling during that time period. That's my domestic pricing experience, anyway.

2. Icelandair used to be a good choice with good service, free alcohol, free movies, free meals. Now this is no longer true, and planes are getting old?

3. If Air France and Delta offer the same price, Air France is a better choice for the better food and larger planes (A340 vs A330 for Delta)? Times of flights seem better for AF as well, although those can change.

4. Both Air France and Delta offer the same inflight service: free meal and free entertainment, right? Can't tell from websites.

5. Paying $1500 more for the 5 tickets to fly nonstop is worth it over flying Icelandair and having to do the weird Iceland thing at 6 am and walking thru the cold drizzle to and from planes and having to either pack or pay for food for the 13 hour time span (just kidding, only I can answer that question).
Old Jul 4, 2013, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
To clarify, do you plan on buying economy or business class tickets?

This could easily impact suggestions regarding Air France versus Delta metal to CDG.

I generally prefer DL over AF, especially in economy.

That said, this summer, DL is operating the A332 and AF is operating the A342. In economy, both are 2-4-2 configuration.

If going for the lowest economy price, I'd go with DL and consider paying for Economy Comfort. For details on EC, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...t-seating.html.

If you want to fly AF, I think their economy seats are less comfrotable, but the food is better. If you're looking for a little more room, consider looking at prices for Premium Economy.

In Business Class, opinions vary. DL and AF both have an angled J seat, although DL is slowly updating their A330s to have lie flat seats.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 9:58 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I can't comment on any of the airline comparisons but I would disagree with your pricing assessment. I find the best pricing to be between 3 months and 3 weeks before the flight.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Clarify: Pure economy, the lowest priced ticket.

Pricing: I check some fares a lot, and am finding NO deals at all less than 6 months before departure. For example, flights to Paris for July 2013 bottomed out last September at $900 and then rose to $1800 by April, by June well over $2000. Tucson rose from $300 to $1000 steadily between August 2012 and departure in March 2013. Deals 3 weeks out-- that's a Twilight Zone type statement.

Last edited by tom_MN; Jul 4, 2013 at 11:20 am Reason: Corrected year
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by tom_MN
Clarify: Pure economy, the lowest priced ticket.

Pricing: I check some fares a lot, and am finding NO deals at all less than 6 months before departure. For example, flights to Paris for July 2013 bottomed out last September at $900 and then rose to $1800 by April, by June well over $2000. Tucson rose from $300 to $1000 steadily between August 2012 and departure in March 2014. Deals 3 weeks out-- that's a Twilight Zone type statement.
If/when you find something <$1000, I'd book it. Summer fares to/from Europe this year have generally been higher than we've seen the past few summers.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
FWIW, prices fluctuate wildly. Just keep an eye on the fares. If I were traveling with 5 people, I would absolutely choose the non- stop.

For me, in J, I prefer the AF seat to the DL seat. I like AF food, but DL's is excellent too.

DL will be easier to deal with if there are wildcat strikes by AF in CDG.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL could have aircraft changes during the next year. In fact, the A330s are scheduled for updates and reconfiguration, so I'd be reluctant to put too much weight in the decision or pay extra for a preferred aircraft type on DL or AF. By then, MSP-CDG could be operated with a reconfigured 767 or an old or new version of the A330.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:18 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I flew on AF A340 DTW/CDG. This was a few months ago. I loved that flight. Try for the AF340. We were seated in J but the Y class cabin appeared to be pleasant and comfortable.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Icelandair is now $950 for the dates in July open for booking. Others $1250.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by rwoman
If/when you find something <$1000, I'd book it. Summer fares to/from Europe this year have generally been higher than we've seen the past few summers.
Totally agree with rwoman. As others have said, DL is well-known with the utilization of aircraft to meet the demand for capacity and numerous AB330s will be upgraded with new interior by the next summer.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 4:30 pm
Suspended

1. It is nearly always best now to book as early as possible, not like the old days when it made sense to wait for a sale. Prices almost always rise gradually from the date 11 months out when tickets are first offered till departure, usually at least doubling during that time period. That's my domestic pricing experience, anyway.
Not true.
I suggest setting an alert and buy when the fare drops to about $1000.

2. Icelandair used to be a good choice with good service, free alcohol, free movies, free meals. Now this is no longer true, and planes are getting old?
Movies are still free.

5. Paying $1500 more for the 5 tickets to fly nonstop is worth it over flying Icelandair and having to do the weird Iceland thing at 6 am and walking thru the cold drizzle to and from planes and having to either pack or pay for food for the 13 hour time span (just kidding, only I can answer that question).
There is no walking through the drizzle. You connect indoors via walkways. The airport seems brand new to me. Reminded me of an Ikea store
No need to pack food as there is a nice food court.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 6:11 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I flew on AF A340 DTW/CDG. This was a few months ago. I loved that flight. Try for the AF340. We were seated in J but the Y class cabin appeared to be pleasant and comfortable.
^ the AF A340 is a nice ride in J from CDG-MSP. Much nicer (IMHO) than their 777 or A330 rides. Not sure about the Y situation, but in extrapolating, one might imagine the whole plane would be somewhat nicer...
Old Jul 5, 2013, 6:16 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
Pricing: Usually DL and AF are exactly the same price. They coordinate their computer systems.

Food: It's the same thing for Economy on both airlines: FOOD IS AWFUL. Best thing is to bring a sandwich in your bag that you got in a local deli. Also, Delta uses some strange brands of water that taste very peculiar.

Note: The AF A340 has no air blowers in Economy seats. This is not only unusual, but not fun if you like the air circulation blowing on you like I do. (And I presume others do as well).

Last edited by menton1; Jul 5, 2013 at 6:27 am
Old Jul 5, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
DL v AF is an eternal debate here, and for everyone who says they're the same someone will like DL more and someone will like AF more. I'm in the latter camp; I genuinely find their food better in both Y and J, and the same goes for wine and the same goes for service. But it's subjective, and also depends on the types of things one values. For instance, I find folksy service tiresome and fake; I can't sleep in planes and am small so seats don't matter much; I don't like over-oaked, over-boozy wines, etc. So I prefer AF, but others will have good reasons for DL. And in fact one reason even I have recently been choosing DL over AF or KL is a better chance at Op-Ups.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
To me, $1500 seems like a hefty premium to get everyone on a nonstop. I'd go for FI - use the $1500 savings to buy everyone some take-onboard treats from French Meadow (better than any coach-class food you'll be served on DL/AF), and still have a boatload left for several nice meals in Paris. And don't fret about any drizzly walks at KEF - the transfers are via jetbridges from a nice terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.