FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Help with SWU (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1481668-help-swu.html)

gsorob Jul 2, 2013 4:56 pm

Help with SWU

Just bought a K fare ticket. All segments were available for upgrade with SWU, expect one, so I applied the SWUs to support the upgrade. I then logged into DL.com to verify the SWUs has been pulled, ticket re-issued and then selected seats. Usually when one of the segments is not available at the time of re-issuance, I see two flights listed for that particular segment. One segment is listed for the usual comp up and the other is the "standby" for the ug due to the SWU application, but I don't see this in my itinerary. When I call the Medallion desk to enquire, I was assured that all was OK and that a possible explanation was the newly revamped DL website :confused:. Sounds fishy to me. I was assured that the segment had been coded properly to put me higher on the ugrade list. Anyone had similar experiences recently, or is the segment still not coded properly?

orlandodlplat Jul 2, 2013 5:06 pm

As long as there's a second entry waitlisting you for an "OP" seat, you should be ok. IIRC the DM agents can't see the actual waitlist code until you're ON the waitlist, after you check in. Then you can call back and make sure you have the correct UP2A or UP2B code.

gsorob Jul 2, 2013 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat (Post 21030366)
As long as there's a second entry waitlisting you for an "OP" seat, you should be ok.

This is exactly the crux of the matter, there is no second entry for the "OP" seat.

Bicostal Jul 2, 2013 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by gsorob (Post 21030329)
Just bought a K fare ticket. All segments were available for upgrade with SWU, expect one, so I applied the SWUs to support the upgrade. I then logged into DL.com to verify the SWUs has been pulled, ticket re-issued and then selected seats. Usually when one of the segments is not available at the time of re-issuance, I see two flights listed for that particular segment. One segment is listed for the usual comp up and the other is the "standby" for the ug due to the SWU application, but I don't see this in my itinerary. When I call the Medallion desk to enquire, I was assured that all was OK and that a possible explanation was the newly revamped DL website :confused:. Sounds fishy to me. I was assured that the segment had been coded properly to put me higher on the ugrade list. Anyone had similar experiences recently, or is the segment still not coded properly?

Which segment - the RU or the RP do you see? I have had great success with SWUs when both segments are available and lousy luck having it work right when one is and one isn't. I have had the COMP clear and the SWU still waitlisted. I have had the short leg clear and the long leg waitlisted as a comp and SWU. I have had the short leg comped and the long leg I flew Y (I was at the top of the waitlist for 23.5 hours - then went to #2 with F=0). I have had the SWU waitlist stay in the record and gotten a BFUG (pulled form Y) upgrade due to a no show and kept my SWU in the Wallet. Granted, I speak from the perspective of DOMESTIC transcon and not INT experience - if its INT I cant even begin to imagine the IT fails that are possible. I do know that 3 out of four DM agents haven't a clue how this can get fixed when it doesn't work and not yet has a supervisor been successful in explaining it.

My experience has been if any of the waitlisted SWU legs does not have an offsetting coach with upgrade requested partner, you are not going to be happy. I also would suggest if there is a coach confirmed leg with no offsetting waitlist RP, you will not be at the top of the upgrade pecking order ala the SWU (2UPA or B) and when that goes to the gate, so ends your story.

Welcome to the SWU IT purgatory....and praying they got it right hasn't worked for me either.

rylan Jul 2, 2013 8:17 pm

I think you are in the same situation I was a couple months ago with an SWU... a few legs cleared but there was one that I was still on standby but it did not actually appear as waitlisted in my itinerary. I verified with DLAssist and several agents that I was in fact on the waitlist but there is something screwy about the website where it doesn't display all of the waitlisted segments.

When you check in, make sure that your waitlisted segment has UP2A or UP2B priority (depending if your DM or PM). In my case it was coded correctly and I cleared but the website never showed the waitlist segment.

orlandodlplat Jul 3, 2013 5:31 am

Originally Posted by gsorob (Post 21030487)
This is exactly the crux of the matter, there is no second entry for the "OP" seat.

My point is that in my experience, there's little you can do about it right now, and if you call back another agent is likely to mess something up.

The coding doesn't matter (or even kick in) until you check in online, so make sure you check in as soon as you are able to and THEN call the Diamond desk and ask them to tell you how you've been coded. If it's incorrect, they'll be able to fix it pretty easily at that point.

campbe79 Jul 3, 2013 5:43 am

This happened to me and the SWU still cleared on that segment 90 days out. I suspect it's all ok.

BusTrav8yrs Jul 3, 2013 8:59 am

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat (Post 21030366)
As long as there's a second entry waitlisting you for an "OP" seat, you should be ok. IIRC the DM agents can't see the actual waitlist code until you're ON the waitlist, after you check in. Then you can call back and make sure you have the correct UP2A or UP2B code.

If it is a K fare then it is a domestic UG, it would not be OP unless it is a BE marketed flight such as JFK-LAX. Otherwise it should be RP

FlyAO2 Jul 3, 2013 11:54 am

If you don't clear by the flight time, do not assume the SWU has been properly applied to your waitlist flight. Unforutantely this is usually not done correctly.

If you check in and don't find yourself #1 or #2 you should have the Twitter Delta people (the only ones that know how to process an SWU correctly for a waitlist) correct the status

gsorob Jul 4, 2013 8:30 am

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs (Post 21033722)
If it is a K fare then it is a domestic UG, it would not be OP unless it is a BE marketed flight such as JFK-LAX. Otherwise it should be RP

Correct. It is a domestic itinerary.
If I understand the process correctly, I think RP is the code for domestic UG using SWU or miles. RU is the code for the comp UG.

If the aircraft is equipped with business class (BE) and not first class, then the code would be OP for SWU/miles upgrade or OU for the comp UG.

The above codes change to UP2A/UP2B (depending on status) when one checks in, if the UG hasn't happened by this time. This is the code that will appear on the airport standby list.

gsorob Jul 4, 2013 8:35 am

Originally Posted by FlyAO2 (Post 21034807)
If you check in and don't find yourself #1 or #2 you should have the Twitter Delta people (the only ones that know how to process an SWU correctly for a waitlist) correct the status

+1, excellent idea. Haven't used @DeltaAssist in the past, but I will learn as colleagues give it high marks.

Lancer99 Jul 4, 2013 8:46 am

Help with SWU

Where can you see the UP2A code? Is that online or do you have to call in?

orlandodlplat Jul 4, 2013 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Lancer99 (Post 21039562)
Where can you see the UP2A code? Is that online or do you have to call in?

You have to call in, but because it refers to the gate waitlist, it generally isn't visible to the agents until 24 hours out, when OLCI is available.

Bicostal Jul 4, 2013 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat (Post 21039860)
You have to call in, but because it refers to the gate waitlist, it generally isn't visible to the agents until 24 hours out, when OLCI is available.

It refers to the upgrade list. It orders the upgrades and drives how the T-5, 3, and 1 works. I've asked and have had CS confirm we'll before T-24

orlandodlplat Jul 5, 2013 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Bicostal (Post 21041241)
It refers to the upgrade list. It orders the upgrades and drives how the T-5, 3, and 1 works. I've asked and have had CS confirm we'll before T-24

Well my experience is in the BE transcons, which IMO are the only flights where it's worth using a SWU. In those cases, upgrades are all battlefield and all based on the gate-controlled "list."