Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

IRROPS rebooking issues. Actual rules are...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IRROPS rebooking issues. Actual rules are...?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

This is exactly what I tried with DL!

Originally Posted by CJKatl
You should be telling them, rather than choosing between what they offer. Find other flights yourself and ask to be booked on those flights. Look for other airline options and ask to be put on the other airline if that is practical and would make sense. A two hour delay will not be grounds to get you on a new airline. Arriving the next afternoon when you're meeting is in the morning may be grounds, especially if you are on an expensive ticket or are a frequent flyer.

Your best bet is to do this by phone and if you don't like what the first phone agent is saying, hang up and call back. The second or third agent will accommodate you.

The rule when there is IRROPs is rules will be waived. As long as what you asking for is reasonable, you will likely get it.

If you leave yourself to the live agent's mercy, the agent will do whatever the agent needs to do to get you quickly served and gone. Phone agents will spend more times, have more tricks up their sleeves and will be more willing to get a supervisor to approve something.

Again, check your options, phone DL and ask the agent to help you with the option you know will work best.

You've advised exactly what happened. I had the flight numbers and everything. Logical, right.

BUT, it didn't work.

The phone agents said only the airport rep could put me on another airline. (I called from the kiosk line, from my cell, and had a friend call as well. I would have tried by payphone, too, but there weren't any.)

The DL airport staff said there was only one person at one help desk in the entire airport. The GAs would not help any of us, directing everyone to the "help desk."

In over two hours, only 6 people made it through the line. (A second rep came to assist - for about 15-20 minutes - after about 2 hours.) Both reps told me they could not put me on a flight with a different airline. Both were aware that not doing so would result in a 24 hour delay in my arrival to my destination. They were nice, and seemed to really believe what they were telling me.

I certainly don't believe everything I was told. I believe that some were deliberately misinforming me and some were merely confused/unaware and overwhelmed by the poor work conditions.

Even now, I don't see what else I could have done to achieve a successful outcome. Clearly, I am a nobody to Delta. Ironically, I just switched to DL for my flights this year.

The only thing I can think of that might be helpful next time would be to have a hard copy of the irrops rules on hand.

Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:52 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by twtrvl
...The phone agents said only the airport rep could put me on another airline....

...Clearly, I am a nobody to Delta.....
Sorry it didn't happen. For the record, I've always done this over the phone. But, as someone else pointed out, it may because of my status. It may also be that at least twice when I've done this I've been on expensive tickets. Once ticket was over $800 o/w, although not refundable.

I also remember on one of those tickets being told by a supervisor, over the phone, that I couldn't change my flight: even saying to her that if I hang up and call back, I'll be on the other airline. Sure enough, that's what happened.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
DL, thankfully, gives its agents a great deal of flex. Usually airport are much more willing to do non-routine things than phone.

In the hierarchy of reroute:
1. rebook on DL.
2. rebook on OW (realize not a biggie for OP, who is domestic)
3. rebook on other carriers
4. Refund

The key is to present the specific options you want, recognizing the hierarchy above. As others note, it's not unheard of for DL to rebook OA, it's a heavy lift and not likely unless there's a multi-delay, expensive hotels or some particularly sympathetic situation.

One thing to always consider is whether you can do better purchasing a new ticket and taking the refund. Might not be paid F, but there are sometimes last minute deals to be had.
I realize that DL has been flighting recently with many of its SkyTeam partners, but would they really rebook someone on a oneworld (OW) carrier before even one of their supposed JV partners? Maybe the situation within the alliance is much worse than we realize?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I realize that DL has been flighting recently with many of its SkyTeam partners, but would they really rebook someone on a oneworld (OW) carrier before even one of their supposed JV partners? Maybe the situation within the alliance is much worse than we realize?
Who are their JV partners, domestically?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by Vuelos
For WX delays, they aren't going to put you on another airline.
There was a guy on DL512 Friday night that I had been chatting with pre-weather flight cancellation. After the mayhem - he waited in line and I on the phone. He was rebooked on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.