Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying Colonel - Does Anybody Remember?

Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC

I worked with a guy back in the early 90s that was awarded FC status after assisting a FA with a belligerent pax. He was an infrequent traveler, but displayed the plaque in his office.

I always liked the "Flying Colonel" title; way cooler elite status name than DM.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
When I worked in reservations in the mid 1990s, the Flying Colonel was explained to us during training that it was some sort of recognition given out by the marketing department. But we didn't do anything special for them, like during IRROPS, like we did for SM/GM/PM. The pax's Medallion status determined the extent to which assistance was offered. Yes, "FC" showed up on the PNR next to the pax's name, along with their Medallion status if they had one.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
I have a cousin that was a FC in the mid-90s. I remember once he said something about them holding planes if his was late (as was mentioned already here). I always wondered how much truth there was to that.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
On the operations side, i.e., ticket agents, gate agents, etc., FC might have received special recognition and treatment; however, on the reservations side, before pax got to the airport, there was not much to nada. We weren't even instructed to address them with "thank you for being Flying Colonel" or something to that extent.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I guess time does dim painful memories.

Just ran across this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/500430-post1.html

Loss of Crown Room membership for FC was another bit of Leo Mullin skulduggery.

To relieve Crown Room overcrowding, no less.

Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
What an ironic coincidence... had an FA (older male FA) greet me today with "You're my FC on the flight today."

Yes, FC still shows on the manifest.

Interesting..., FA was emphatic that FO was the female equivalent of FC.

I'd never heard this suggested before.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL 3MM/FC/DM LT; LH FT LT; HH DIA

FO = flying orchid, female equivalent of FC.

FC still shows on manifest alongside with Medallion and MM status.

In the early 90's it was very helpful with IROPs. Also got inflight upgrades from C to F on my regular flights from CVG to FRA. Maybe was the Purser (Alexander) he flew the route regularly and welcomed me on board by last name at least 20 times :-) I start feeling old now...
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:30 pm

Here we are in 2019. I was a Flying Colonel and that card/status is long gone. I just hung up the phone with Delta reservations and the agent was gushing over me...that she was talking to a Flying Colonel and how much she appreciated my loyalty. I was quite surprised it is till in my profile.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Honestly I think that DL should bring back FC status. Would be a great brand to use versus other unpublished benefits.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by speedbird001
Here we are in 2019. I was a Flying Colonel and that card/status is long gone. I just hung up the phone with Delta reservations and the agent was gushing over me...that she was talking to a Flying Colonel and how much she appreciated my loyalty. I was quite surprised it is till in my profile.
FC status is lifetime, but discontinued. Ive only seen maybe 3 in the past 5 years.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:39 pm

FO did indeed indicate Flying Orchid, but it was coopted in the 1980s as new categories were established (Medallion levels).
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM Hilton Diamond WN A List
I"m an FC, getting it in the mid 90s. Was a nice touch. Picked up by DL marketing in TYS and taken to lunch and given the plaque which I've since lost.

Does the FC designator still show on our records? I've never had an FA mention it recently
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Delta Colonels

Has any old colonel seen that they have stopped noting you as one in your record?
Old May 15, 2019, 6:04 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Originally Posted by Gadot
Has any old colonel seen that they have stopped noting you as one in your record?
Just printed out a boarding card and FLYING COLONEL is printed in bold below my Sky MIles number.

I spoke to reservations a few months ago and the CSR commented that I must be close to or older than her as she remembers those great days gone by.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
The type of loyalty we used to see... Did NW have a similar program?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.