DL can't see CZ inventory

Old Jun 25, 13, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Amex Reserve
DL can't see CZ inventory

Hi all, long time board lurker, first post. Have done several complex award trips with the info found here, thx. Have got great use of SM, but for leisure intl trips with flexible dates and a mix of DL and partners.

Trying to complete a complex award trip in business through Asia for two. The issue is CZ 328 LAX-CAN on 12/12. Delta computers show O zero. In fact, it sounds like they show 0 for all classes. EF shows O2. KVS shows CS+. Talked to CZ office and they were very nice, they see O3.

Also had a difficult time getting another leg on this trip in O with CZ. Same thing, the inventory didn't show, and while I was talking to the intl desk agent she kept hitting the button and then it popped up.

I guess they have computer handshaking problems?

Note that O class is correct for business, it changes from I in late October.

They are doing long sell, using the Delta term system. Have tried with a dozen reps, now only talking to intl desk. My experience with all agents is very good, they are helpful and trying. Spent 4 hours one day, 3 hours yesterday. Took an hour to just initially put in the itin, which is 8 legs.

Any ideas on how to see the inventory?
Old Jun 25, 13, 6:37 am

Programs: DL DM
I had a hard time booking a leg on CZ as well. Agent was saying she couldn't see it...I told her the inventory was there (thanks to ExpertFlyer). She put me on hold and called some department and was able to pick it up.
Old Jun 25, 13, 7:27 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.1MM, EK Gold, SQ Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Called 5 different agents last week and despite seeing it on EF, was told it was not available.
Old Jun 25, 13, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, WN CP, HH Gold, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by Helopilot7 View Post
Hi all, long time board lurker, first post. Have done several complex award trips with the info found here, thx. Have got great use of SM, but for leisure intl trips with flexible dates and a mix of DL and partners.

Trying to complete a complex award trip in business through Asia for two. The issue is CZ 328 LAX-CAN on 12/12. Delta computers show O zero. In fact, it sounds like they show 0 for all classes. EF shows O2. KVS shows CS+. Talked to CZ office and they were very nice, they see O3.

Also had a difficult time getting another leg on this trip in O with CZ. Same thing, the inventory didn't show, and while I was talking to the intl desk agent she kept hitting the button and then it popped up.

I guess they have computer handshaking problems?

Note that O class is correct for business, it changes from I in late October.

They are doing long sell, using the Delta term system. Have tried with a dozen reps, now only talking to intl desk. My experience with all agents is very good, they are helpful and trying. Spent 4 hours one day, 3 hours yesterday. Took an hour to just initially put in the itin, which is 8 legs.

Any ideas on how to see the inventory?
Yeah - I've previously had similar problems. The hang up and call back method was very successful in these instances.
Old Jun 25, 13, 11:29 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by FlyAO2 View Post
I had a hard time booking a leg on CZ as well. Agent was saying she couldn't see it...I told her the inventory was there (thanks to ExpertFlyer). She put me on hold and called some department and was able to pick it up.
Apologies - read this thread to quikly...My experience was with OK not CZ
Old Aug 1, 13, 11:17 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
My brother is trying to book LAX-CAN on CZ in biz and getting no love. Tried multiple agents, calling asking for long sell and no luck. In fact, they're not finding *any* space on that route in any class for any date that he asks for. Any ideas?
Old Aug 1, 13, 11:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
DL has persistent problems with some airlines, like CZ and VN. 98% of agents just seem not to know how to do it. You have to keep trying until you get someone who knows what they are doing, unfortunately... if the availability is there, it is bookable, don't give up!
Old Aug 5, 13, 5:06 am

Programs: SW CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
DL has persistent problems with some airlines, like CZ and VN. 98% of agents just seem not to know how to do it. You have to keep trying until you get someone who knows what they are doing, unfortunately... if the availability is there, it is bookable, don't give up!
I've noticed KQ is another one they have issues with.
Old Aug 6, 13, 4:24 pm

still can't find available award space on LAX-CAN on CZ

Hi, I'm the aforementioned brother having trouble finding award space on LAX-CAN round trip from mid Sept to mid Oct. I have called about 10 times in the last couple weeks. All agents have understood "long sell". All agents have been helpful and put me on hold for considerable time while they search and/or contact other depts. They all "see" the flights but there is no award space (in any class). They have also searched +/- several days around my preferred depart/return dates, as well as jumping months into the future, and still nothing.

Last night I called Delta China and got essentially the same result. However, he was able to find award space departing in late March 2014, returning late April 2014. So, at least there was some indication that the search/searcher were competent.

This is despite EF and FlyingBlue showing biz award space for these flights, on my preferred dates.

It would seem the space is all used up. I'm curious about the people who have posted success, how long ago they booked and when their travel is.

Any other suggestions, before I abandon award booking for this trip and pull out my wallet? Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 13, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by timblaktu View Post
Hi, I'm the aforementioned brother having trouble finding award space on LAX-CAN round trip from mid Sept to mid Oct. I have called about 10 times in the last couple weeks. All agents have understood "long sell". All agents have been helpful and put me on hold for considerable time while they search and/or contact other depts. They all "see" the flights but there is no award space (in any class). They have also searched +/- several days around my preferred depart/return dates, as well as jumping months into the future, and still nothing.

Last night I called Delta China and got essentially the same result. However, he was able to find award space departing in late March 2014, returning late April 2014. So, at least there was some indication that the search/searcher were competent.

This is despite EF and FlyingBlue showing biz award space for these flights, on my preferred dates.

It would seem the space is all used up. I'm curious about the people who have posted success, how long ago they booked and when their travel is.

Any other suggestions, before I abandon award booking for this trip and pull out my wallet? Thanks!
If AF/KL FB shows it as available for award booking, at the low classic award (not some higher mileage version) as per their award chart, then it is indeed available. Just double check by trying to go as far as you can to book it on FB. If so, it is available, just DL agents (yes, all 10 of them, that wouldn't surprise me) haven't learned the hoops they need to jump through to get it. Some airlines DL can't even do long sell and needs to do a more time consuming process to manually contact a specific contact, verify availability and then somehow piece it all together (this is nuts, I know, DL operates like it still was the 1970s, and unlike any other airline out there, or for the last good 3+ decades!).
Old Aug 10, 13, 8:25 am

I booked our Asia trip on February 8 for traveling in December for family of 4, low level business class:

LAX-CAN CZ
CAN-KIX CZ (stopover)
NRT-TPE BR (using UA, destination)
TPE-CAN CI
CAN-LAX CZ

It was a VERY difficult task and I took off work and spent ALL day on the phone with DL. I had to give up on DL for NRT-TPE segment because DL couldn't find availability. What's weird about that leg is EF shows 2 in business and 4 in economy. When the phone rep did a long sell for 2 business and 2 economy while I'm constantly refreshing my EF page, I can see the inventory in EF go down respective to the seats I've request but within a minute, DL rep will come back with no availability while EF inventory will show the decreased inventory. At first I thought the seats were taken by another customer trying to book the exact same thing as me, but the inventory would come back to 2 business and 4 economy on the top of the following hour. I would call again and same thing happened; in fact it happened three times, three hours in a roll. So I'm confident that I have caused the decrease in EF's inventory, but somehow DL can't book it ...I'm confident to say that the reps I talked to knew how to book CZ because they knew how to get the other CZ segments. FRUSTRATING.

By the way, DL had great availability on DL.dum if I was traveling alone....they had ONE seat at low level everyday around my outbound date and for all the segment I need to go to Japan and Taiwan, but Just ONE seat per day...ridiculous! In the bright side, I get to try the A380 :-)

Another note, I was grateful that UA allows one-way redemption and provide lots of availability for family if 4. It literally took me less than ten minutes for me to book NRT-TPE and only 20,000 miles / person for business class. Good luck!
Old Aug 26, 13, 7:35 pm

Programs: SW CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, National EE, Hertz 5*
Just an update on this. I recently called in and dealt with this and the issue persists. Seems sometimes the agent will ultimately book you in the wrong class of service just to get you off the phone, that's extremely annoying and has happened to me twice since DL started blocking (I assume it is on DL side) CZ reservations. Has anyone tried booking that same space with other partners like Flying Blue or Aeromexico?
Old Aug 26, 13, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I said this at least 5 times before, but I will say it again: use the Beijing CTO to book CZ award flights. But, be careful not to follow the phonebot's prompts; otherwise your call will get routed to Singapore, which is the worst.
Old Aug 27, 13, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
Slippery Jeff Robertson and the entire SkyMiles team must be so proud that obtaining award travel reservations on SkyTeam carriers is every bit as easy and convenient as it is using UA miles within the Star Alliance.
not.
Old Aug 27, 13, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Sabai View Post
Slippery Jeff Robertson and the entire SkyMiles team must be so proud that obtaining award travel reservations on SkyTeam carriers is every bit as easy and convenient as it is using UA miles within the Star Alliance.
not.
Did someone at DL steal your wife or something?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: