Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A Simple GSP-YOW SkyMiles Redemption Question

Old Jun 24, 13, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club

So I live in Korea, but am due for a vacation to the US in July. While I'm there, a friend is getting married in Ottowa. My parents live near GSP.

The question at hand is:

Is 32,500 miles fair for GSP-YOW Thurs 7/18-Sun 7/21? The tickets sell now for 600$. To make an extra point, the 32,500 miles I would be using would come from miles earned on tickets that my school paid for to fly me to Korea when I moved here and to/from the US for last year's vacation...so technically they're not even miles that I paid for.

Make sense? Please help ASAP, I'm ready to pull the trigger...just need some FT rationalization!

This will actually be my first SkyMiles redemption ever.
Old Jun 24, 13, 8:39 am

The best I've got on Delta miles is $0.0495 a mile when I would pay the ticket if miles were not available (includes lost RDM)

It is possible to get $0.14 a mile value but I wouldn't pay $22,000 for a ticket so that is not a fair redemption value claim

Anything above 3 Cents is good in my mind

This trip is borderline, but depends on future earnings, the value of $600 to you etc
also bear in mind Delta's program keeps changing and when it does the miles will be devalued.
Old Jun 24, 13, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For "domestic" 32,500 is one direction low and the other medium, which is pretty decent if these are good flight times for you. It's not long haul BE, but saves you $600, so it depends on your circumstances.....
Old Jun 24, 13, 9:40 am
Original Poster

The flight times are good. Night out, afternoon back to maximize the short weekend trip. Besides, I can't think of when I'll ever have the reason to go to Canada in the near future.

Pardon my late night math, but what would the value of this ticket be?
Old Jun 24, 13, 9:53 am

60000 cents / 32500 miles = 1.85 cents per mile
Old Jun 24, 13, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Logic escapes me after soju and a long day of teaching. So if it's 1.85 cents a mile, isn't that more than the default 1 cent per mile I earned for sitting my ... on a plane on a ticket I didn't actually pay for?
Old Jun 24, 13, 9:59 am
Original Poster

I guess it's also worth noting I have 51,000 SkyMiles and I am thinking of burning them...so I can start fresh with KE SkyPass to earn real benefits for my paltry thrice annual vacation travel.
Old Jun 24, 13, 10:22 am

Programs: Enough
Heh, I've done GSP-YOW a dozen times. I usually went GSP-ATL-LGA-YYZ-YOW, or if I was lucky got on DTW-YOW. It is an awful trip. I often got 300-400$ tickets, so your mileage seems a little bad...
Old Jun 24, 13, 12:35 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

United has a 1 stop flight GSP-EWR-YOW and YOW-IAD-GSP for the dates you listed at $427.

But if you are wanting to get rid of the skymiles, use them up...especially with a one stop in DTW.
Old Jun 24, 13, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
If you are not adverse to driving check flying into BTV or PLB.

One of the money/miles saving trick of flying to Canadian cities close to the boarder to US is to fly to the closest US airport.
Old Jun 24, 13, 1:39 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
32,500 sounds good to me. I've never managed anything less than medium. GSP is I think a hard destination to score a completely low award.
Old Jun 25, 13, 5:13 am

Programs: DL PM, AA PLT, UA Premier Silver, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hazelrah View Post
32,500 sounds good to me. I've never managed anything less than medium. GSP is I think a hard destination to score a completely low award.
What about checking flights from ATL? Depending on where you live, the drive to the ATL airport may not be significantly further than GSP and vice versa...
Old Jun 25, 13, 6:25 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by jchan2 View Post
What about checking flights from ATL? Depending on where you live, the drive to the ATL airport may not be significantly further than GSP and vice versa...
OP will still have to connect in DTW flying from ATL.....it is 2 1/2 hours from GSP to ATL driving time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: