Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta and Virgin Atlantic Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Has anyone experienced if Delta's free bag with the DL credit card carries over on VS operated flights? I.e. I book on the DL site, using the DL card, DL operated outbound, VS back, will I have to pay for a couple of bags on VS, assuming Im booking a Economy basic fare.

And also whether VS also waves charges for Stollers etc?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL Amex First Checked Bag Free benefit is only applicable to flights that are both Delta marketed and operated. Codeshare flights are not eligible. Documented in the T&C's --

"The first checked bag fee waiver will only be applied on flight segments which originate on a Delta or Delta Connection® carrier when you check-in with Delta for both a Delta marketed and Delta operated flight. Codeshare flights are not eligible."
bgriff likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:55 pm

I asked this elsewhere, but have yet to receive any replies. Basically, me and my mother are booked on the one direct flight Delta has, from JFK-EDI, with seats in Delta One/Business Class. Specifically, the tickets lists us as "D." The flight itself is DL 208 with a codeshare with VS 4026. We have no special airline status.

I'm hoping that we'll be able to access the Clubhouse at JFK, as we are Delta One passengers flying from North America to the UK, as the Delta site says. I have seen some info here about it being open to "J" class Delta passengers, but I wasn't sure if that is shorthand for Business/Upper class or not, when it comes to lounge access. I've also heard some ~horror stories about the greeters at the JFK Clubhouse denying entry to passengers heading to EDI, saying it's only for passengers going to the UK, which...lol. But that may have been when this route first launched at they were not familiar with it's existence. I called Virgin Atlantic months ago and they could not say for sure either way. I called again today and the woman said that I should have access. I'm hoping some people here have experience with flying to the UK, but not LHR, and can help me out.

And yes, I know that we'll still have access to the Delta Sky Club, but I was really looking forward to showing my mother the amazing Clubhouse! Thanks in advance for any info.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by racheva
I asked this elsewhere, but have yet to receive any replies. Basically, me and my mother are booked on the one direct flight Delta has, from JFK-EDI, with seats in Delta One/Business Class. Specifically, the tickets lists us as "D." The flight itself is DL 208 with a codeshare with VS 4026. We have no special airline status.

I'm hoping that we'll be able to access the Clubhouse at JFK, as we are Delta One passengers flying from North America to the UK, as the Delta site says. I have seen some info here about it being open to "J" class Delta passengers, but I wasn't sure if that is shorthand for Business/Upper class or not, when it comes to lounge access. I've also heard some ~horror stories about the greeters at the JFK Clubhouse denying entry to passengers heading to EDI, saying it's only for passengers going to the UK, which...lol. But that may have been when this route first launched at they were not familiar with it's existence. I called Virgin Atlantic months ago and they could not say for sure either way. I called again today and the woman said that I should have access. I'm hoping some people here have experience with flying to the UK, but not LHR, and can help me out.

And yes, I know that we'll still have access to the Delta Sky Club, but I was really looking forward to showing my mother the amazing Clubhouse! Thanks in advance for any info.
Recommend reviewing the DL/VS FAQ page:
Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse lounge access is available at select locations to Delta One® passengers, Upper Class passengers, and Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members with a same-day nonstop transatlantic flight between North America and the U.K. that is operated by Delta or Virgin Atlantic. Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members may access Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses in London-Gatwick, New York-JFK, Newark, Washington-Dulles, Boston, Los Angeles and San Francisco Airports. Gold Medallion Members may only access Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses within the U.S. (New York-JFK, Newark, Washington-Dulles, Boston, Los Angeles and San Francisco Airports). Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members are allowed to bring one guest. While access to the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in London-Heathrow is not available to Gold Medallion Members, these Members may enjoy access to No1 Lounges, Heathrowopens in a new window at LHR’s Terminal 3. Please travel with and be prepared to show proof of your Medallion status to the Virgin Atlantic representative to receive these benefits.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ntic-faqs.html

Since you're traveling in D1 from JFK non-stop to the UK (EDI) you should have JFK clubhouse access.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by JAeX
Recommend reviewing the DL/VS FAQ page:

Since you're traveling in D1 from JFK non-stop to the UK (EDI) you should have JFK clubhouse access.
Thanks for your reply. I did in fact read that page, multiple times, as I said in my original post. But I also heard several anecdotes of people flying from NA to the UK being denied access because they weren't flying to LHR. So I was hoping some people here might have had other opposing experiences.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by racheva
Thanks for your reply. I did in fact read that page, multiple times, as I said in my original post. But I also heard several anecdotes of people flying from NA to the UK being denied access because they weren't flying to LHR. So I was hoping some people here might have had other opposing experiences.
A few years ago I had access when flying JFK-BHX (Birmingham, UK) on a VS flight ticketed through Delta. My access was as a PM. You should be fine.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Mar 2, 2019 at 9:55 pm
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM

A few years ago I had access when flying JFK-BHX (Birmingham, UK) on a VS flight ticketed through Delta. My access was as a PM. You should be fine.
Thanks! That's reassuring. I guess they've figured out that there are more cities in the UK than just London
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:42 pm

Exit Row Seats for DM

Just a tidbit regarding exit row seats as a Diamond. I booked a DL coded flight on VS. I could select a regular seat via the Virgin web site (a link on the Delta seat map will take you there). But it wanted $75+ for an exit row bulkhead. I called Delta but was told they can't help on Virgin metal. I sent a text message to the sms helpline posted on the VS site (UK number) with the booking code and date asking if I could have an exit row as a diamond. I never received a reply to the text message, but when I checked two hours later I found myself moved to a bulkhead exit aisle - what looks to be the best economy seat on the plane. Kudos to Virgin Atlantic! Not sure what status levels they'll do this for, but I'd assume at least Platinum and Diamond.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Based on the T&Cs cited above, is it safe to assume that I can arrive at any point during the day to JFK and access the VS lounge? There's no time limit or access limited to only 3 hours before actual departure of the DL/VS flight?

Details are that I'm flying with my wife on JFK - LHR (DL 1) which doesn't depart until 730pm. We are both on the same ticket for JFK - LHR - JFK (thank you DL for the 37k RT Y ticket) and will both have access via my PM status -- but due to work we are both coming to JFK from different places.

I can either fly in the night before our flight and stay in the city for free at my parent's apartment or I can just fly in first thing in the morning and spend the day working from JFK (also happens to be the cheaper option for flights). If I do the latter, I would want to primarily spend my day at the VS Clubhouse (definitely lunch over the limited options at the DL SkyClub) which more or less means 9am onwards (and having my wife join me when she arrives before going over to the SkyClub around departure time).

Have spent so much time at the DL T4 SkyClub that if I was going to be stuck there all day, I'd likely just end up flying in the night before and spending the day working from NYC and just take the train out to JFK early afternoon
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
Based on the T&Cs cited above, is it safe to assume that I can arrive at any point during the day to JFK and access the VS lounge? There's no time limit or access limited to only 3 hours before actual departure of the DL/VS flight?

I don't know what their hours are, but I believe that VS clubs are only open 3 hours before VS flights. I don't think there are VS flights all day from JFK, are there? Don't they all leave at night?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I don't know what their hours are, but I believe that VS clubs are only open 3 hours before VS flights. I don't think there are VS flights all day from JFK, are there? Don't they all leave at night?
Theres one morning flight around 8am. It closes after morning flight till just before the first evening flight.
bgriff likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Theres one morning flight around 8am. It closes after morning flight till just before the first evening flight.
Great point -- just went and checked and looks like it closes after the morning flight until 230pm.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
While I wouldn't book a full night right now, the new JFK TWA hotel has day rates. $129 for 6 hours (can be 8a, 10a, or noon checkin to 2pm, 4pm, or 6pm )
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Does anyone have any recent experience in upgrading on VS from PE/Delta G fare to UC?

The last time (last year IIRC) I looked into such a mileage upgrade the PE (Delta G fare) to UC rate was 25K SkyMiles. Today, I called to see about upgrading the TATL legs on an open jaw ticket that includes ATL-MAN and LHR-JFK. There was no availability but the agent said if it opened up it would cost 40K SM each way. Is that now the going rate for PE to UC or was the agent in error? She seemed otherwise to know what she was talking about.

Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
While I wouldn't book a full night right now, the new JFK TWA hotel has day rates. $129 for 6 hours (can be 8a, 10a, or noon checkin to 2pm, 4pm, or 6pm )
Hmmm tempating -- will look into that, though honestly the easier thing may just be to fly into NYC the night before given cost an lounge not being open until 230pm. RDU - EWR is $72 in BE or $100 in C+ with automatic PM upgrade given load for the night before and then I can just work from parent's apartment and arrive fresh at JFK for some Chicken Tikka Masala from the VS Clubhouse in the early evening

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.