Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta and Virgin Atlantic Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by tanglin
I just tried to do a LAX-LHR on 7/18. Not available non stop (which would be VS metal).

When will the bookings be available to place?
I'd suggest reading the thread you've posted in:

Originally Posted by dmorbust
Yes annoyingly the MQM link doesn't work yet. Here are some answers to some questions though from the FAQs: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ntic-faqs.html .
Members can earn miles on Virgin Atlantic flights or may use miles for an Award Ticket for travel on or after July 3, 2013. Flights will be available for booking on June 29, 2013.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)
Originally Posted by tanglin
I just tried to do a LAX-LHR on 7/18. Not available non stop (which would be VS metal).

When will the bookings be available to place?
June 29th.

In other news, is anyone else surprised that VS left all of the destinations ex-Atlanta out of this initial codeshare?

From the VS site, they are saying you can now book the DL LHR flights (MSP, DTW, ATL) direct from VS including it seems the additional frequencies DL can now provide on JFK and BOS. But as far as connections in the US they are only showing connections from JFK, BOS, and LAX...see here: http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...nes/delta.html .
Why wouldn't they include all the ATL connections???
Old Jun 24, 2013, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
June 29th.

In other news, is anyone else surprised that VS left all of the destinations ex-Atlanta out of this initial codeshare?

From the VS site, they are saying you can now book the DL LHR flights (MSP, DTW, ATL) direct from VS including it seems the additional frequencies DL can now provide on JFK and BOS. But as far as connections in the US they are only showing connections from JFK, BOS, and LAX...see here: http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...nes/delta.html .
Why wouldn't they include all the ATL connections???
I don't think VS flies to ATL.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I don't think VS flies to ATL.
They don't but wouldn't it still make sense for VS to want to put their code on destinations served from ATL, especially since there are so many that are unique to only ATL and not JFK, BOS, and LAX where they are adding their code ?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: Executive Club Silver
A major problem is that now there will be a load of rednecks wearing sandals and socks cluttering up the Clubhouse at Heathrow. Many advantages of course.

Virgin customers now have access to Atlanta, Detroit and Minneapolis, and whilst they may not be desirable leisure destinations they may suite business people. Domestic codeshares can be provided, which also seems good.

From the Delta point of view they can attract more UK based passengers, their brand awareness is significantly lower than AA and UA/CO in the UK. They may also perform better on the LHR-JFK route, where DL prices are significantly cheaper than BA/AA. Also a few slots perhaps, SEA-LHR perhaps?

This can narrow VS/DL huge gap between BA/AA in the UK-US market, together they will probably provide more fierce competition than the current arrangement. In regards to US-Greater Europe then DL has a far better network with AF/KL being good partners
Old Jun 24, 2013, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Being 100% selfish - THAT IS ME
+1
Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
According to the Delta website:
Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse lounge access is available to BusinessElite® or Upper Class passengers and Diamond or Platinum Medallion® members on same-day travel when flying on a Virgin Atlantic- or Delta-operated transatlantic flight to or from the U.K. Plus, Diamond and Platinum Medallion members are allowed to bring one guest. Clubhouses are located at London Heathrow, London Gatwick, New York-JFK, Newark, Washington, Boston and San Francisco airports. Please travel with and be prepared to show your Medallion card to the Virgin Atlantic representative to receive Clubhouse lounge access.
It seems that SC members (and those holding the Delta Reserve AmEx card) won't have entry. Correct?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
They don't but wouldn't it still make sense for VS to want to put their code on destinations served from ATL, especially since there are so many that are unique to only ATL and not JFK, BOS, and LAX where they are adding their code ?
I suspect that once the JV is approved, there will be reciprocal codesharing on almost every route between the US and UK. The initial codeshare relationship is a smaller endeavor, typically.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by PotNoodle
A major problem is that now there will be a load of rednecks wearing sandals and socks cluttering up the Clubhouse at Heathrow.
Conversely, those VS pax who have heretofore lead sheltered lives can have a Deliverance-like experience by accessing the Sam's SkyClub of their choosing. Budweiser on tap - it don't git no better than that.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
A major problem is that now there will be a load of rednecks wearing sandals and socks cluttering up the Clubhouse at Heathrow.
"Boy...you got a pretty mouth."

O/H
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:16 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Why?
A major problem is that now there will be a load of rednecks wearing sandals and socks cluttering up the Clubhouse at Heathrow. Many advantages of course.
Yeah, that is part of it. Delta has a lot of "trash" being thrown the way of what is typically is a very classy, very high-brown premium cabin. The lounges as well. I can honestly say that I have never seen a shorts/flip flops/Tommy Bahama Shirt wearing individual in business on a Virgin flight nor in a Virgin Clubhouse (the exception would be the LHR-BGI flight, but thats self explanatory). Thats not to say anyone that dresses like that is "trashy", but you should be able to read between the lines as to what me and the other poster mean.

**Waits for someone to give me and other poster some huge spiel about how he has the right to wear what he wants and no one has the right to judge him blah blah blah-honestly, as we have covered in previous thread, money does NOT buy you class! ).
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:34 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Interline Agreement for baggage?

Do I need to be concerned whether Virgin Atlantic would have Interline agreement for my baggage transfer, if I obtain an itinerary routing from AMS to LHR to YVR to SEA? The AMS - LHR route is KLM, and YVR SEA route is Alaska/Horizon.

I wouldn't be surprised with KLM segment but maybe not Alaska. Maybe this is too early to tackle on this expectations and book this routing.

Jiburi
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:39 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot

This can narrow VS/DL huge gap between BA/AA in the UK-US market, together they will probably provide more fierce competition than the current arrangement. In regards to US-Greater Europe then DL has a far better network with AF/KL being good partners
This is all about New York. It is a real war in that market to get the premium pax - this is why AA, UA and DL all are offering flatbed transcons from there. DL was in last place in the NY to London market which is the only reason they did this.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:49 am

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Yeah, that is part of it. Delta has a lot of "trash" being thrown the way of what is typically is a very classy, very high-brown premium cabin. The lounges as well. I can honestly say that I have never seen a shorts/flip flops/Tommy Bahama Shirt wearing individual in business on a Virgin flight nor in a Virgin Clubhouse (the exception would be the LHR-BGI flight, but thats self explanatory). Thats not to say anyone that dresses like that is "trashy", but you should be able to read between the lines as to what me and the other poster mean.

**Waits for someone to give me and other poster some huge spiel about how he has the right to wear what he wants and no one has the right to judge him blah blah blah-honestly, as we have covered in previous thread, money does NOT buy you class! ).
I don't see the "class" of clientele changing at the Clubhouses. I've flown the LAX-LHR route r/t a bunch of times; 3x on UA, 1x AA, 1x BA, 1x DL (via ATL) and 5x VS. The clientele is indistinguishable between all of them. I've never seen people wear shorts and flip-flops at a LHR lounge, whether it be DL, UA, BA or VS associated lounges (never used an AA-related one). I've not found the "redneck" crowd on any LHR flight regardless of airline. I have encountered English soccer holligans on a LHR-JFK flight on VS though. Believe me, you'd prefer the rednecks. Maybe it's the DL customers to feel sorry for.

Last edited by Oakshadow; Jun 25, 2013 at 12:58 am
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
What would be the point?

A Virgin Atlantic passenger cannot get to Atlanta on a Virgin Atlantic flight, so there are no Virgin Atlantic passengers arriving there that would benefit from having these onward codeshares you are talking about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.