Wiki Posts
Search

Delta and Virgin Atlantic Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by LBJ
What happened to the AF lounge at JNB? Looks like it is closed now as see AF lists the SLOW lounge for J passengers. Is it in the former AF lounge space?
I do not know where there AF lounge was located. In the almost two years I've gone to/from JNB, AF has used the SLOW lounge.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:34 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LBJ
What happened to the AF lounge at JNB? Looks like it is closed now as see AF lists the SLOW lounge for J passengers. Is it in the former AF lounge space?
Yes, it's the same space. They even kept the AF-themed furniture.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:37 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Do Delta Medallions get additional baggage when flying VS TATL? Do I get any extra bags over the 3x70lb UC allowance? Thanks!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
I'm flying VS from JFK-LHR in about a month and just earned gold medallion. I haven't received a physical card yet. Does anyone know if the clubhouse at JFK will let me enter with a digital card? Thanks!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:22 pm
C W

Originally Posted by Bretmd
I'm flying VS from JFK-LHR in about a month and just earned gold medallion. I haven't received a physical card yet. Does anyone know if the clubhouse at JFK will let me enter with a digital card? Thanks!
Delta no longer provides physical GM credentials. PM and DM only. Digital is fine, your bp with SM number attached will likely suffice.

Remember also that as a GM you will get access departing JFK but not departing LHR. Instead at LHR you can access the No.1 Lounge. I recommend eating beforehand, the food at No.1 is awful.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by C W
Delta no longer provides physical GM credentials. PM and DM only. Digital is fine, your bp with SM number attached will likely suffice.

Remember also that as a GM you will get access departing JFK but not departing LHR. Instead at LHR you can access the No.1 Lounge. I recommend eating beforehand, the food at No.1 is awful.
Thank you - this is very helpful! Thanks for the advice about the No. 1 lounge.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:57 pm
C W

Thank you - this is very helpful! Thanks for the advice about the No. 1 lounge.
My pleasure. Enjoy the trip
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Exclamation Issues with Info transferring over to VS on DL-issued tickets

Hi all,

Have booked many tickets at this point via DL or VS on mixed metal itineraries with no issue in status being passed between DL and VS.

Last week, booked a trip from LHR to SAN, with LHR-LAX on VS metal via the DM desk. When I pulled up my booking on the VS site to select a seat, VS wanted to charge me, not something I've had happen in the past. I called VS. Agent said my date of birth was missing so seats could not be assigned. She added in my info, refreshed and voila - she could give me a seat without charge and, after refreshing the app, everything worked for me.

Booked LHR-JFK via the DM desk last night. Same issue. I called VS and my DoB was missing again. Agent added it, refreshed, and I had access to seats.

Happy travels!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:59 am
C W

Originally Posted by C W
Do Delta Medallions get additional baggage when flying VS TATL? Do I get any extra bags over the 3x70lb UC allowance? Thanks!
Got my own question answered when I called to arrange my Upper Class Wing arrival. Delta PM/DM get an extra 23kg bag, so for UC 3x32kg + 1x23kg. Didn't ask for GM. I assume FO gets nothing since they get no VS benefits at all.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Clubhouses at IAD and LHR allowed my wife, a newly minted PM, in with a printed PM card with the barcode on it.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Quick Trip Report VS 22 / VS 21 (IAD-LHR-IAD)

Bought two PE tickets for $1.2k RT each (coach was offered at $850 RT each); tried to UG them with 20k SMs each, but Delta claimed they had no upgrade availability; the eastbound trip appeared to have a number of vacant seats. Nevertheless, we had a very positive experience in PE. I'm not quite sure the seats are 21" wide with 38" of pitch (more like 19" width and 36" pitch), but the seat cushions were comfortable both ways and I did not experience any lumbar discomfort like I have on longer Delta C+ flights. PE was maybe 60% full eastbound and 40% full westbound. We were on A330-300s both ways

We ate dinner in the IAD clubhouse (had the clubhouse burger with a really delicious brioche bun) so did not eat dinner eastbound; the breakfast was a bit more substantial than in DL C+, with a pastry, fruit plate and yogurt with granola. Enjoyed the Revivals lounge at LHR; the service was great; one of the servers overheard me complaining about not getting my ears to open up, and she brought me multiple hot honey and lemon waters (in addition to a delicious sausage roll and tea).

It was easier to check in with VS than with DL at LHR. I made a mistake in leaving my laptop in my backpack, and the security staff punished me by letting my bag sit for 15 minutes before someone came around for secondary screening. There was no visible signage at the "Fast Track" security relative to laptops, so don't make the same mistake that I did.

LHR Clubhouse was very enjoyable, as always.

Lunch westbound was a beef bourguignon; there was a tea service with scones and sandwiches 90 minutes from IAD. There was a separate cognac and Amarula service after lunch. The only service glitch on the westbound was that VS catering forgot the Herschel pouches that they normally give out in PE (they gave them out eastbound).

Landing at LHR was an adventure; after being in the "stack" landing pattern for 30+ minutes, they let us try to land; we were in some significant cross winds, and actually hit the ground before the captain aborted the landing and went around (he gunned the engines at about the precise moment the back wheels touched the runway); we got down safely on the second attempt.

The westbound flight faced relatively light headwinds, and we made the 3,677 miles in a very respectable 7 hours 40 minutes.

I'm looking forward to going back to the UK next year on this routing.

Last edited by ND76; Dec 1, 2017 at 5:34 am
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:22 pm
C W

Originally Posted by ND76
Bought two PE tickets for $1.2k RT each (coach was offered at $850 RT each); tried to UG them with 20k SMs each, but Delta claimed they had no upgrade availability; the eastbound trip appeared to have a number of vacant seats. Nevertheless, we had a very positive experience in PE. I'm not quite sure the seats are 21" wide with 38" of pitch (more like 19" width and 36" pitch), but the seat cushions were comfortable both ways and I did not experience any lumbar discomfort like I have on longer Delta C+ flights. PE was maybe 60% full eastbound and 40% full westbound. We were on A330-300s both ways

We ate dinner in the IAD clubhouse (had the clubhouse burger with a really delicious brioche bun) so did not eat dinner eastbound; the breakfast was a bit more substantial than in DL C+, with a pastry, fruit plate and yogurt with granola. Enjoyed the Revivals lounge at LHR; the service was great; one of the servers overheard me complaining about not getting my ears to open up, and she brought me multiple hot honey and lemon waters (in addition to a delicious sausage roll and tea).

It was easier to check in with VS than with DL at LHR. I made a mistake in leaving my laptop in my backpack, and the security staff punished me by letting my bag sit for 15 minutes before someone came around for secondary screening. There was no visible signage at the "Fast Track" security relative to laptops, so don't make the same mistake that I did.

LHR Clubhouse was very enjoyable, as always.

Lunch westbound was a beef bourguignon; there was a tea service with scones and sandwiches 90 minutes from IAD. There was a separate cognac and Amarula service after lunch. The only service glitch on the westbound was that VS catering forgot the Herschel pouches that they normally give out in PE (they gave them out eastbound).

Landing at IAD was an adventure; after being in the "stack" landing pattern for 30+ minutes, they let us try to land; we were in some significant cross winds, and actually hit the ground before the captain aborted the landing and went around (he gunned the engines at about the precise moment the back wheels touched the runway); we got down safely on the second attempt.

The westbound flight faced relatively light headwinds, and we made the 3,677 miles in a very respectable 7 hours 40 minutes.

I'm looking forward to going back to the UK next year on this routing.
Nice report, glad you had a good experience.

The go-around sounds fun, I'm still waiting to experience one!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by C W
Nice report, glad you had a good experience.

The go-around sounds fun, I'm still waiting to experience one!
I had one at BTR a few months ago, in the middle of a thunderstorm. Those 717s have rocket engines on them, I swear. It was even cooler since the pilots piped the ATC over the intercom so FAs were aware that something was happening. "GO AROUND GO AROUND!!!"
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:35 pm
C W

Originally Posted by WWads
I had one at BTR a few months ago, in the middle of a thunderstorm. Those 717s have rocket engines on them, I swear. It was even cooler since the pilots piped the ATC over the intercom so FAs were aware that something was happening. "GO AROUND GO AROUND!!!"
That sounds great! I need to start flying to places that actually have storms
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by C W
That sounds great! I need to start flying to places that actually have storms
Deep South airports during storm season, and SFO are your best bets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.