Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta and Virgin Atlantic Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
I was just perusing the VS site and wow, they have an amazing Upper Class deck! I also just priced a flight from LAX-LHR in said upper class for $3,800 in June/July. Pretty good price for the product IMO.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by MSUspartans
Well I'm used to the united schedule where it's a fixed number of points for save domestic, intl, etc. will the amount of points required for an award using virgin points on delta metal be based on the delta award chart? (Ie can I search delta.com for an award and assume it will cost me the same number of virgin miles )
I think it will be fixed.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:35 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Well I'm used to the united schedule where it's a fixed number of points for save domestic, intl, etc. will the amount of points required for an award using virgin points on delta metal be based on the delta award chart? (Ie can I search delta.com for an award and assume it will cost me the same number of virgin miles )
Not necessarily, VS will have to publish an award chart for DL, which it appears they have not done yet. For example, until recently to redeem VS miles on US Airways the prices were:

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/us...bfSubmit1.x=29

Which are not the same as US Airways' award chart.

Note also that you will not be able to get Delta awards through VS miles (nor through KE miles) at anything higher than the "low" award level. So if you want a domestic coach ticket, you would have to find it on Delta.com for 25K miles -- anything more than that and it won't be available for spending partner miles at all.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:39 am

I live near a delta hub so this interests me. I only really use miles for Hawaii or international. Is this something I could use the vs miles for on delta? (Assuming low) can they be used for first or business class awards?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:47 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I live near a delta hub so this interests me. I only really use miles for Hawaii or international. Is this something I could use the vs miles for on delta? (Assuming low) can they be used for first or business class awards?
Yes they can be used for premium class seats but low availability is very, very hard to find on Delta. (And the seats made available to book with partner carrier miles may be even a subset of the low availability Delta offers its own members.) There is a good chance you would be better off transferring UR points to United, even if you have to connect. United has much better availability of free seats, and by transferring direct to United instead of to a partner you'd have the option to redeem for non-"low" seats.

Virgin Atlantic has also traditionally charged a lot of fuel surcharges on its award ticket bookings. No way of knowing right now whether that will be the case on Delta or not. Probably won't be surcharges on domestic awards but there may be on international awards.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by colerc
Note that (if you did not already know) VS Premium Economy is a separate cabin, like on AF or BA, and often much more expensive than economy (3-4x), not a minor pay-up or elite freebie like Economy Comfort on DL. That said, it is also quite a lot better than Economy Comfort, so there's some justification for the price.
I know exactly what it is. Though I think its not usually 3-4x the amount of coach. I just did a sample booking for JFK-LON in August. Coach is $1380 and PE is $2136 r/t. This is not even twice as much. Is it work $700-800 to sit in a domestic first type of seat? Not sure, it would depend on the length and time of the flight, and also, for me, the MQM/MQD reward.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
MQM link worked for me: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-atlantic.html

Basic upshot is that it's similar to DL:

Upper Class J,D,C --> 200% MQM
Upper Class I,Z --> 150% MQM
Premium Economy W,S,K,H --> 150% MQM (but K,H only 125% RDM)
Economy Y,B --> 150% MQM (and 150% RDM)
Economy R,L,U,M,E,T,X,V,Q,N,O --> 100% MQM
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by irfan23
MQM link worked for me: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-atlantic.html

Basic upshot is that it's similar to DL:

Upper Class J,D,C --> 200% MQM
Upper Class I,Z --> 150% MQM
Premium Economy W,S,K,H --> 150% MQM (but K,H only 125% RDM)
Economy Y,B --> 150% MQM (and 150% RDM)
Economy R,L,U,M,E,T,X,V,Q,N,O --> 100% MQM
Finally VS is giving 100% for N and O.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by mendel k
Its interesting that gm don't get access to the virgin club. How come?
That really makes this a bummer for me, as I have always wanted to visit the Clubhouse in IAD. I wonder whether AF will let me into their club while waiting for a VS flight? Also, this means no club access at LHR T3 for SC members as well as GMs.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Finally a place to redeem my millions of miles!
+1
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:57 am

Assuming all credentials are in order, if you're flying out of an airport with both a Delta SkyClub and Virgin Clubhouse can you select the lounge you would like to use regardless of what airline your ticket is on (Delta or Virgin)? I've heard the Virgin Clubhouses are a real treat and I'd imagine probably less crowded at say JFK?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:12 am
k2

Originally Posted by colerc
Not necessarily, VS will have to publish an award chart for DL, which it appears they have not done yet...
I'm in the VS program and they sent an email a couple of hours ago with links to more info, including a redemption chart here:

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/us...taairlines.jsp

Everything is priced at DL's low tier, it will be interesting to compare availability using my Flying Club vs. Skymiles accounts once things are running.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
It says we get access to the Clubhouse, but does it also include access to the other lounges? I'm curious about the Revivals Lounge, and if we'd have access to that after landing at LHR.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:20 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Can't wait to see if I will have to pay fuel fines surcharges on VS-operated flights when using my SkyMiles.

But I've got to say their VS partnership and Business Elite enhancements are great. Someone needs to knock AA and BA off their high horse @ LHR.
I think it is a safe bet that we will have to pay very hefty fees to use miles for VS Upper Class. At least they actually have award availability!
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ND76
That really makes this a bummer for me, as I have always wanted to visit the Clubhouse in IAD. I wonder whether AF will let me into their club while waiting for a VS flight? Also, this means no club access at LHR T3 for SC members as well as GMs.
For me, it makes the difference between continuing to fly JFK-CDG-LHR on AF vs flying JFK-LHR on VS. I like the Premium Voyager product and was excited to fly VS's equivalent, but club access is important to me. If VS is going to deny GMs access, I'd rather just keep giving my money to AF - it's a longer trip but more miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.