Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access (2009 - June 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by defrosted
I also find it strange all the fuss about this considering, if I understand correctly, this only effects people that have no status yet can afford first class tickets but can't afford $29 entry fee and a Delta Amex. Anyone with GM or higher gets in regardless of cabin.

I mean I guess the few FO that got upgraded could have a more legitimate gripe about declining benefits, but really how many could that actually be since first upgrades (even to Canada) are hard to come by even for GM.

Or is this just an argument for argument's sake?
Outright Paid F also gets in. It's an argument only for those that see it as an arguement. DL Corporate has confirmed, DL SC managers have confirmed, and station managers have confirmed that Canada/Mexico F still gets access. When you scan your BP it tells the agents if you qualify. Scan the BP for the Canada/Mexico leg confirmed in F and in you go.

Don't ask if you get access, don't scan another BP, just scan the BP for the qualifying leg and in you go. The fact that DL employees are confused after a policy change is nothing new. Also, as I noted above, agents have wrongly insisted for years that Canada F doesn't get SC access.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:22 am

I don't see how the SkyTeam rule is really binding on DL if they have excluded Caribbean flights this long.

In any case, even if that rule actually does obligate them and if they actually do want to exclude Mexico and Canada, they'll just rebrand that cabin to Premium Select as they have with routes to Iceland etc.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi, a data point from me flying to Canada this week.

I flew in paid First two nights ago, Atlanta to Toronto. I went to the SC in the international terminal (F), and upon scanning my boarding pass, the agent told me that flights to Canada no longer have access to the lounge due to a recent change in policy. I persisted (not actually having rechecked in the last couple of weeks since initially asking on here) insisting when I booked the ticket I absolutely had access and is why I selected Delta over another carrier, and she relented, and told me I could have access 'just this once' as it was such a recent change, but in future I would not be allowed.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL Corporate has confirmed, DL SC managers have confirmed, and station managers have confirmed that Canada/Mexico F still gets access.
All indications are this is not the case, can you provide some recent proof of this for others to reference when they are denied access. As there are now two recent examples of denied access "due to a recent change".

Not arguing, just need some tangible evidence, because pretty sure "I read it on an internet forum" isn't going to help anyone that can't get in.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by defrosted
I also find it strange all the fuss about this considering, if I understand correctly, this only effects people that have no status yet can afford first class tickets but can't afford $29 entry fee and a Delta Amex.
Strongly disagree with the "you can afford it" justification of taking away this perk, if that's what DL's official explanation is. It's not a matter if someone can "afford" club entrance, it's that they ALREADY PAID for it in the international First Class ticket price that was several times more than the Economy tickets and that's always been one of the incentives to get people to pay more for FC. DL might as well say, "If you can afford a First Class ticket, then why would you expect a complementary meal? It's only about $10 more. If you can afford First Class, then why would you expect a complimentary checked bag? It's only $30 per bag. We think you can afford these things since you already paid us at least twice the Main economy fare, so pay for it!"

Taking this perk away is devaluing of the First Class product any way you look at it.

Last edited by Oakshadow; Apr 12, 2019 at 6:09 pm
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:49 pm

While I agree that this devalues the F product, I think you're wildly overstating what an F ticket to canada costs.

Tanzguy and defrosted like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:40 pm

Just a data point. My husband and I flew paid F class from MSP to Mexico in January and were denied access to the sky club. No big deal. They said it had changed and F class on Delta metal was no longer allowed access. Our tickets were scanned. Denied. Only true D1, which Mexico most definitely is not (more like domestic first class in service).
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Strongly disagree with the "you can afford it" justification of taking away this perk, if that's what DL's official explanation is. It's not a matter if someone can "afford" club entrance, it's that they ALREADY PAID for it in the international First Class ticket price that was several times more than the Economy tickets and that's always been one of the incentives to get people to pay more for FC. DL might as well say, "If you can afford a First Class ticket, then why would you expect a complementary meal? It's only about $10 more. If you can afford First Class, then why would you expect a complimentary checked bag? It's only $30 per bag. We think you can afford these things since you already paid us at least twice the Main economy fare, so pay for it!"

Taking this perk away is devaluing of the First Class product any way you look at it.
Not Delta's explanation.

It is obviously devaluing First Class (international) product. Something was included that no longer is.
I am not saying I agree with it.

I was pointing out that first class is clearly a luxury item, and of all the "devaluation" of products at Delta this is basically a non issue. It effects such a small group of people that in many cases have the budget for luxury items and can simply purchase additional benefits without much impact. If you have the budget for luxury items what is another half a percent increase in cost.

And to your examples, that is exactly what Delta and every other airline have been doing forever. Stop including things so they can charge for them. They are also trying to reduce crowding in Skyclubs. So this isn't surprising.

Someone made the example of death by a thousand cuts. All I am saying the percentage of Delta customers this effects is very small, and it is a very minor cut.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:43 am

I'm travelling MAN-JFK-BOS soon, with MAN-JFK on Virgin Atlantic Upper Class (I'm flying on a DL flight number if that makes a difference), and JFK-BOS on Delta First.

Will I have access to the Sky Club at JFK? I don't have any status with Delta (or any other SkyTeam member).
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by racklam
I'm travelling MAN-JFK-BOS soon, with MAN-JFK on Virgin Atlantic Upper Class (I'm flying on a DL flight number if that makes a difference), and JFK-BOS on Delta First.

Will I have access to the Sky Club at JFK? I don't have any status with Delta (or any other SkyTeam member).
Yes. Delta does a poor job of documenting this on the website but any J ticket on DL or VS metal between the US and UK will get you both Sky Club and Clubhouse access.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Yes. Delta does a poor job of documenting this on the website but any J ticket on DL or VS metal between the US and UK will get you both Sky Club and Clubhouse access.
Thanks. You're not wrong that the website doesn't make things easy!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
I said I’d report the result of my no-status friends attempting to enter the SC on an LAX-Mexico itinerary with F tickets. The answer is yes they got in, but not necessarily due to their F ticket. The BP incorrectly indicated they were Gold - when they purchased the tickets in January they were Gold but are not anymore. Perhaps this is an ongoing issue and there are probably other threads about this.

I do have another question. When flying on VS in PE (Premium Economy) and being an AMEX Platinum card holder, might there be a chance to get SC access? When I flew LAX-LHR on VS in PE last month (non DL-codeshare), I didn’t bother trying and used Priority Pass at the TBIT KE lounge (lousy) and ate at P.F. Chang’s (good) and took the cumbersome bus to T2 for my flight. Yes, I know the SC is meant for AMEX Plat holders only when flying DL, but I was wondering in a practical sense has any AMEX Plat holders flying non-Business VS been let in.

Last edited by Oakshadow; Apr 23, 2019 at 2:46 pm
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
I do have another question. When flying on VS in PE (Premium Economy) and being an AMEX Platinum card holder, might there be a chance to get SC access? When I flew LAX-LHR on VS in PE last month (non DL-codeshare), I didn’t bother trying and used Priority Pass at the TBIT KE lounge (lousy) and ate at P.F. Chang’s (good) and took the cumbersome bus to T2 for my flight. Yes, I know the SC is meant for AMEX Plat holders only when flying DL, but I was wondering in a practical sense has any AMEX Plat holders flying non-Business VS been let in.
I think AmEx Platinum cardholders get access to the VS Clubhouse at LAX, no? I remember seeing a sign at the counter which points this out.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Akiestar
I think AmEx Platinum cardholders get access to the VS Clubhouse at LAX, no? I remember seeing a sign at the counter which points this out.
They do via Priority Pass I know. However hours are limited to morning before VS flights.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:57 am

I do have another question. When flying on VS in PE (Premium Economy) and being an AMEX Platinum card holder, might there be a chance to get SC access?
Assuming no status, by the letter of the policy, no. I would guess you might be able to find an agent who would let you in if you have an 006 ticket, but even that seems unlikely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.