Sky Club Access (2009 - June 2022)

Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Xeno
I do have PP so spouse would cost $29 for either SC or "The Club".
I'm not sure which PP membership you have, but if it's through any of the major credit cards offering it (Amex Plat, Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige), I think they all offer two free guests now. This was a recent change for the Amex Plat.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I'm not sure which PP membership you have, but if it's through any of the major credit cards offering it (Amex Plat, Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige), I think they all offer two free guests now. This was a recent change for the Amex Plat.
Thank you. I must investigate this.

I have a corporate PL AMEX (+ personal DL PL AMEX that does not offer PP). My PP account used to say "select" but I do not see that on the digital card.

Edited to say that @mattp1987 is correct. The PP app would not provide this info so I went to the web and see that it is no problem to guest my spouse on this trip. I do not know when this changed because I had to pay for my spouse late last year.

Last edited by Xeno; Jul 24, 2017 at 9:33 am
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:02 am

Thank you. I must investigate this.

I have a corporate PL AMEX (+ personal DL PL AMEX that does not offer PP). My PP account used to say "select" but I do not see that on the digital card.

Edited to say that @mattp1987 is correct. The PP app would not provide this info so I went to the web and see that it is no problem to guest my spouse on this trip. I do not know when this changed because I had to pay for my spouse late last year.
I just tried to guest spouse into MCO SC and was told they do not take PP. Spouse did not want to go to The Club.

At the moment, it looks like we fly out of ATL F for ATL-OKC so can I guest her into the SC or must I go to "The Club" at F?

If no SC for spouse then I guess that means when my DM SC membership expires - that is not selecting this option for 2018 DM choice benefits - that I will not be able to get into DL SC in the USA, right?

Last edited by Xeno; Jul 30, 2017 at 9:59 am
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just tried to guest spouse into MCO SC and was told they do not take PP. Spouse did not want to go to The Club.

At the moment, it looks like we fly out of ATL F for ATL-FCO so can I guest her into the SC or must I go to "The Club" at F?

If no SC for spouse then I guess that means when my DM SC membership expires that I will not be able to get into DL SC in the USA, right?
DL left Priority Pass way back in 2009. Not sure why you thought that would work for an SC. Skyteam Elite Plus on international flights (save the Caribbean) are allowed one guest.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-of-terms.html
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:29 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

At the moment, it looks like we fly out of ATL F for ATL-FCO so can I guest her into the SC or must I go to "The Club" at F?

If you're STE+ and you're flying MCO-ATL-FCO then you are entitled to one guest at the MCO and ATL skyclubs.

If no SC for spouse then I guess that means when my DM SC membership expires that I will not be able to get into DL SC in the USA, right?
I mean, if you're no longer diamond then you would need some other method to access the club (credit card, international flight, $$$ etc).
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:58 am

First, sorry for the typo or auto-correct as I meant to type OKC not FCO.

90% of my flights are D1.. On the occasional domestic flight I do not have to worry about SC when alone because of being DM

To get my spouse into F for this 3 hour layover, I paid $29 using my DL PL AMEX.

The more important point for me is what happens when I have the option of not taking SC membership as an option for being DM in 2018. The last time I needed to use PP to get into a SC it worked, but I have no memory of when that was so apparently it was prior to 2009.

When I return home, I need to find the thread that explains why so many 2018 DMs were quite happy to give up DM SC membership.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:05 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
When I return home, I need to find the thread that explains why so many 2018 DMs were quite happy to give up DM SC membership.
The short version is, if you have another means of entry (DL Reserve AMEX, unbranded Plat AMEX) you effectively get a third Choice Benefit (the tradeoff being, Sky Club access only when flying DL)
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
First, sorry for the typo or auto-correct as I meant to type OKC not FCO.

90% of my flights are D1.. On the occasional domestic flight I do not have to worry about SC when alone because of being DM

To get my spouse into F for this 3 hour layover, I paid $29 using my DL PL AMEX.

The more important point for me is what happens when I have the option of not taking SC membership as an option for being DM in 2018. The last time I needed to use PP to get into a SC it worked, but I have no memory of when that was so apparently it was prior to 2009.

There's now also a SC guest pass option for those with other SC access. (Ie a DL Reserve AMEX) Thus you can select it and bring a guest into SCs.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
The short version is, if you have another means of entry (DL Reserve AMEX, unbranded Plat AMEX) you effectively get a third Choice Benefit (the tradeoff being, Sky Club access only when flying DL)
I showed MCO SC my unbranded Corporate PL AMEX and that did not qualify for guesting purposes.

I am not inclined to move from this particular AMEX to the Reserve card since I use PP a great deal outside the USA.

Last edited by Xeno; Jul 30, 2017 at 3:41 pm
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I showed MCO SC my unbranded Corporate PL AMEX and that did not qualify for guesting purposes.

I am not inclined to move from this particular AMEX to the Reserve card since I use PP a great deal outside the USA.
I think you are missing the point. The individual SC membership that came with DM status didn't allow for guests either. So if you already have a Plat Amex or DL Amex Reserve, most people would like another Choice Benefit instead as the individual membership provides little additional value (you can't combine multiple forms of entry to bring in a guest). So they have now added a third choice benefit instead, and one of the new options is a SC "guest pass" option to bring in up to two guests with a Plat Amex or Amex Reserve card.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
I think you are missing the point. The individual SC membership that came with DM status didn't allow for guests either. So if you already have a Plat Amex or DL Amex Reserve, most people would like another Choice Benefit instead as the individual membership provides little additional value (you can't combine multiple forms of entry to bring in a guest). So they have now added a third choice benefit instead, and one of the new options is a SC "guest pass" option to bring in up to two guests with a Plat Amex or Amex Reserve card.
Perhaps we are talking past one another. DM gave temporarily an executive SC membership which was downgraded to an individual membership with no guesting privileges. I am not confused on that point nor how choice benefits work for 2018 DMs.

I am seeking clarity on why my unbranded corporate PL AMEX did not allow me to guest my spouse if your account of DL's policy is correct. For example, is this particular AMEX excluded because it is a corporate card that gives me a PP membership?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Perhaps we are talking past one another. DM gave temporarily an executive SC membership which was downgraded to an individual membership with no guesting privileges. I am not confused on that point nor how choice benefits work for 2018 DMs.

I am seeking clarity on why my unbranded corporate PL AMEX did not allow me to guest my spouse if your account of DL's policy is correct. For example, is this particular AMEX excluded because it is a corporate card that gives me a PP membership?
Your corporate unbranded platinum Amex should have allowed you to purchase a single-entry guest pass to the DL Skyclub for your spouse for $29.

The Amex cards (unbranded Plat or DL Reserve) do NOT provide free access for anyone other than the person named on the card. Even if the cardholder has access by other means (membership, status, premium cabin ticket, another credit card), you cannot "pass off" your Amex-provided access to a companion.

Priority Pass does not apply at all to this situation because DL Skyclubs are not part of the PP network. The PP benefit of some Amex cards is completely separate and in addition to DL lounge access.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:16 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Oddly, the Sky Club page does not list the unbranded AMEX Plat under "NUMBER OF GUESTS PERMITTED WHEN ACCESSING A DELTA SKY CLUB":

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-of-terms.html

However if you expand the section above for Platinum Cardholders from American Express, it does say: "... Platinum American Express cardholders may enter the club with up to two guests for an additional fee."
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess we are. The DM SC membership changing from Executive to Individual is old news (3 years ago) and has been discussed here many times already. More recently, they stopped adding new memberships when you qualified for DM if you already had an existing paid SC membership (this happened a couple years ago). Another good reason for going with the 3rd choice benefit instead of an automatic SC membership as the benefit has not provided me with anything for the last couple years (I already had an existing paid SC membership).
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Your corporate unbranded platinum Amex should have allowed you to purchase a single-entry guest pass to the DL Skyclub for your spouse for $29.

The Amex cards (unbranded Plat or DL Reserve) do NOT provide free access for anyone other than the person named on the card. Even if the cardholder has access by other means (membership, status, premium cabin ticket, another credit card), you cannot "pass off" your Amex-provided access to a companion.

Priority Pass does not apply at all to this situation because DL Skyclubs are not part of the PP network. The PP benefit of some Amex cards is completely separate and in addition to DL lounge access.
As mentioned upthread, I used my DL PL AMEX to pay $29 when my spouse joined me in ATL F yesterday.

The point I must now pursue is if my unbranded corporate PL AMEX will give me SC access so I can select something else as one of three DM choice benefits. I used DM for access at the MCO SC.

While flying yesterday, I misread @LBJ upthread who I thought suggested an unbranded PT AMEX also provided guest privileges different than the $29 when using DL PL AMEX.

Of course, I could have used The Club at MCO (but spouse said no) and I did not want the ATL F Club because ATL F SC is one of my favorites.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.