Search

SkyMiles to Vietnam?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2013, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyTeam, OneWorld
SkyMiles to Vietnam?

Hi all.
So, I have posted on this topic before but now I think I have a better handle but really could use your help...Trying to get 3 business class tickets to Asia for next year. Have 360K miles so its lowest tier. I know its crazy but still trying. Have looked at:

JFK > ICN > SGN with Korean Air/Vietnam Airlines
JFK > LAX > CAN > SGN with China Eastern (they run an A380 from LAX)

There have been little to no availability on these routes. My two questions:

1-Does Delta have any options? Was thinking Narita but I dont see any seats ever?
2-Air France shows (although the long way) plenty of seats JFK>CDG>SGN. I assume it may be easier to use SkyMiles on this route as well? Is this route practical and does anyone have experience with this?

Thank you very much for your help. It is much appreciated.

David
Old Jun 22, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by davidr
Hi all.
So, I have posted on this topic before but now I think I have a better handle but really could use your help...Trying to get 3 business class tickets to Asia for next year. Have 360K miles so its lowest tier. I know its crazy but still trying. Have looked at:

JFK > LAX > CAN > SGN with China Eastern (they run an A380 from LAX)

There have been little to no availability on these routes. My two questions:

1-Does Delta have any options? Was thinking Narita but I dont see any seats ever?
2-Air France shows (although the long way) plenty of seats JFK>CDG>SGN. I assume it may be easier to use SkyMiles on this route as well? Is this route practical and does anyone have experience with this?

Thank you very much for your help. It is much appreciated.

David
I wish you good luck.

In all the many ways that SkyMiles sucks for redemption, premium class travel to SE Asia is where DL is far, far below *A or OW.

When I had buckets of miles and could not get DL flights US-BKK, twice I surrendered and did a double redemption on AF/KL through Europe (your option #2 above.). Basically you pay 100k miles JFK-CDG-JFK (or AMS) and then another 120k CDG-SGN-CDG for each passenger.

By comparison, I just booked online a J class award ticket on UA/TG for 120k for BKK-IAD-BKK for travel in July - there must have be 6 or 7 different flights, routes, and partners to choose from.

Try doing that with Delta.stupid.

This won't help you, but it's why all my paid international travel is booked on AA or UA. DL deliberately makes SkyMiles all but useless for award travel to Asia.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: DL-PM, HHonors-Silver, Marriott-Gold
You could but you have to fly from HAN/SGN to NRT on VN
Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:12 am

If you're trying to book three business class tickets on a same route then I wish you the best of luck. Meanwhile, here are few of the options for three business ticket that you may want to consider for your trip to VN.
1. JFK-NRT(DL)-SGN(VN)
2. JFK-PVG(MU)-SGN(MU/VN)
3. JFK-ICN(KE)-SGN(KE/VN) (restriction due to blackout dates for KE)
4. JFK-LAX(DL)-CAN(CZ)-SGN(CZ/VN)
5. JFK-LAX(DL)-ICN(KE)-SGN(KE/VN) (see 3 for additional information)
6. JFK-LAX(DL)-PVG(MU)-SGN(MU/VN)
7. JFK-LAX(DL)-KUL(MH)-SGN(MH)
8. JFK-SFO(DL)-PVG(MU)-SGN(MU/VN)
9. JFK-DTW(DL)-ICN(DL)-SGN(KE/VN) (see 3 for additional information)
10. JFK-DTW(DL)-PEK(DL)-SGN(VN)

Remember, Chinese New Year is the end of January 2014.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Vietnam Airlines also has its own service between CDG and HAN/SGN.

If you're flying via CAN, that's China Southern, not China Eastern. China Eastern is another option you should check, via PVG. Delta's flights into PVG have decent SkyMiles award availability. Or you could fly MU metal from JFK, LAX, or SFO. Availability between PVG and SGN on MU seems decent.

I'm trying to book one of these tickets myself. Let us know what you find.

Dalat767 is right: if you want three Business Class awards on the same flights, good luck.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sabai
I wish you good luck.

In all the many ways that SkyMiles sucks for redemption, premium class travel to SE Asia is where DL is far, far below *A or OW.

When I had buckets of miles and could not get DL flights US-BKK, twice I surrendered and did a double redemption on AF/KL through Europe (your option #2 above.). Basically you pay 100k miles JFK-CDG-JFK (or AMS) and then another 120k CDG-SGN-CDG for each passenger.

By comparison, I just booked online a J class award ticket on UA/TG for 120k for BKK-IAD-BKK for travel in July - there must have be 6 or 7 different flights, routes, and partners to choose from.

Try doing that with Delta.stupid.

This won't help you, but it's why all my paid international travel is booked on AA or UA. DL deliberately makes SkyMiles all but useless for award travel to Asia.
I know...Its very frustrating to get this done. Three tickets will be a near impossibility but...I am going to give it all the effort I can...Maybe will be victorious. I am not broken you so wish me luck!
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dalat767
If you're trying to book three business class tickets on a same route then I wish you the best of luck. Meanwhile, here are few of the options for three business ticket that you may want to consider for your trip to VN.
1. JFK-NRT(DL)-SGN(VN)
2. JFK-PVG(MU)-SGN(MU/VN)
3. JFK-ICN(KE)-SGN(KE/VN) (restriction due to blackout dates for KE)
4. JFK-LAX(DL)-CAN(CZ)-SGN(CZ/VN)
5. JFK-LAX(DL)-ICN(KE)-SGN(KE/VN) (see 3 for additional information)
6. JFK-LAX(DL)-PVG(MU)-SGN(MU/VN)
7. JFK-LAX(DL)-KUL(MH)-SGN(MH)
8. JFK-SFO(DL)-PVG(MU)-SGN(MU/VN)
9. JFK-DTW(DL)-ICN(DL)-SGN(KE/VN) (see 3 for additional information)
10. JFK-DTW(DL)-PEK(DL)-SGN(VN)

Remember, Chinese New Year is the end of January 2014.
Thank you. These are good routes. I knew some but not all... Thank you!!
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Vietnam Airlines also has its own service between CDG and HAN/SGN.

If you're flying via CAN, that's China Southern, not China Eastern. China Eastern is another option you should check, via PVG. Delta's flights into PVG have decent SkyMiles award availability. Or you could fly MU metal from JFK, LAX, or SFO. Availability between PVG and SGN on MU seems decent.

I'm trying to book one of these tickets myself. Let us know what you find.

Dalat767 is right: if you want three Business Class awards on the same flights, good luck.
I will. I am booking for Summer next year so hopefully I can make it work. Getting ready to take on SkyMiles and getting warmed up for the possible hundreds of calls its comes with...Good luck on your search as well.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Remember to check the blackout periods for using DL miles on KE flights.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
2 additional notes.

On the routes via partners via LAX/SFO/etc., the problem might be the Delta leg. If that is not available in low, they will have to break the fare. Consider the options of either Y trans-con, or paying for that leg of the ticket,

Also, you might have to consider breaking up into 1+2, with you traveling alone on some legs.

Getting this down to 120K might be a Herculean task, but you should be able to get under 200K w/o becoming an FF nerd :-)
Old Jun 22, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: Delta 3MM/PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Oh. That's going to be tough.

As others have pointed out - see if you can split up the flights. Two of you go to Haneda and one to Narita or v.v. then all join up on the VN flight NRT -> HAN.

It seems (from my limited experience) that HAN can be easier the SGN. Once you're there it's cheap/easy flights between and all domestic locations. Both airports are easy to navigate even if you have to split up landing destinations.

Don't forget LAX as a gateway also.

Good luck and it is totally worth any planning drama. Great destination!
Old Jun 22, 2013, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by davidr
Hi all.

Don't forget to check the KE blackout periods. For North-America to Asia in 2014 these are:

1/1-1/5, 1/29-2/3, 5/16-7/1, 7/18-8/24, 9/5-9/10, 12/10-12/31.
http://www.koreanair.com/local/kr/gd...sp_rm_ka02.jsp
Old Jun 22, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Don't forget to check the KE blackout periods. For North-America to Asia in 2014 these are:

1/1-1/5, 1/29-2/3, 5/16-7/1, 7/18-8/24, 9/5-9/10, 12/10-12/31.
http://www.koreanair.com/local/kr/gd...sp_rm_ka02.jsp
Dullta blackout of KE is wider than that and is always system wide, if KE only has blackout for domestic. Here are the 2013-2014 blackout dates for DL:

***KE****
IF THE FARE COMPONENT IS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY KE FLIGHT OR IF THE FARE COMPONENT IS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY KE FLIGHT IN COMBINATION WITH ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AE FLIGHT ANY AF FLIGHT ANY AM FLIGHT ANY AS FLIGHT ANY AZ FLIGHT ANY CI FLIGHT ANY CZ FLIGHT ANY DL FLIGHT ANY G3 FLIGHT ANY HA FLIGHT ANY KE FLIGHT ANY KL FLIGHT ANY KQ FLIGHT ANY MH FLIGHT ANY MU FLIGHT ANY OK FLIGHT ANY RO FLIGHT ANY SU FLIGHT ANY TN FLIGHT ANY UX FLIGHT ANY VA FLIGHT ANY VN FLIGHT ANY AR FLIGHT ANY FM FLIGHT ANY MF FLIGHT ANY ME FLIGHT ANY SV FLIGHT TRAVEL IS NOT PERMITTED 01MAR 13 THROUGH 03MAR 13 OR 17MAY 13 THROUGH 30JUN 13 OR 19JUL 13 THROUGH 25AUG 13 OR 14SEP 13 THROUGH 23SEP 13 OR ON 03OCT 13 OR 05OCT 13 THROUGH 06OCT 13 OR 07DEC 13 THROUGH 05JAN 14 OR 29JAN 14 THROUGH 03FEB 14 OR 03MAY 14 THROUGH 06MAY 14 OR 16MAY 14 THROUGH 01JUL 14 OR 18JUL 14 THROUGH 24AUG 14 OR 05SEP 14 THROUGH 10SEP 14 OR 03OCT 14 THROUGH 05OCT 14 OR ON 09OCT 14 OR 11OCT 14 THROUGH 12OCT 14 OR 10DEC 14 THROUGH 31DEC 14.

***CI***
IF THE FARE COMPONENT IS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY CI FLIGHT OR IF THE FARE COMPONENT IS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY CI FLIGHT IN COMBINATION WITH ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY 9W FLIGHT ANY AE FLIGHT ANY AF FLIGHT ANY AM FLIGHT ANY AS FLIGHT ANY AZ FLIGHT ANY CI FLIGHT ANY CZ FLIGHT ANY DL FLIGHT ANY G3 FLIGHT ANY HA FLIGHT ANY IT FLIGHT ANY KE FLIGHT ANY KL FLIGHT ANY KQ FLIGHT ANY MH FLIGHT ANY MU FLIGHT ANY OK FLIGHT ANY RO FLIGHT ANY SU FLIGHT ANY TN FLIGHT ANY UX FLIGHT ANY VA FLIGHT ANY VN FLIGHT ANY AR FLIGHT ANY FM FLIGHT ANY MF FLIGHT ANY ME FLIGHT ANY SV FLIGHT TRAVEL IS NOT PERMITTED 01JUN 13 THROUGH 31AUG 13 OR 10DEC 13 THROUGH 31DEC 13.

***AE***
ANY AR FLIGHT ANY FM FLIGHT ANY MF FLIGHT ANY ME FLIGHT ANY SV FLIGHT TRAVEL IS NOT PERMITTED 01JUN 13 THROUGH 31AUG 13 OR 10DEC 13 THROUGH 31DEC 13. IF THE FARE COMPONENT IS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AE FLIGHT OR IF THE FARE COMPONENT IS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AE FLIGHT IN COMBINATION WITH ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AE FLIGHT ANY AF FLIGHT ANY AM FLIGHT ANY AS FLIGHT ANY AZ FLIGHT ANY CI FLIGHT ANY CZ FLIGHT ANY DL FLIGHT ANY G3 FLIGHT ANY HA FLIGHT ANY KE FLIGHT ANY KL FLIGHT ANY KQ FLIGHT ANY MH FLIGHT ANY MU FLIGHT ANY OK FLIGHT ANY RO FLIGHT ANY SU FLIGHT ANY TN FLIGHT ANY UX FLIGHT ANY VA FLIGHT ANY VN FLIGHT ANY AR FLIGHT ANY FM FLIGHT ANY MF FLIGHT ANY ME FLIGHT ANY SV FLIGHT TRAVEL IS NOT PERMITTED 01JUN 13 THROUGH 31AUG 13 OR 10DEC 13 THROUGH 31DEC 13.
I would suggest to the OP to fly via KIX, NGO or FUK (e.g. on DL to either of these three) and out from there on VN to SGN. VN has wide open availability pretty much every day for flights from KIX, NGO and FUK to SGN. Or could also do to any of these, KE to PUS and VN from PUS to SGN, as that route is also always wide open with VN.

The hard part will be getting there on DL though, as DL, from my experience, never ever has more than one award seat available at low. On each flight there seems to be only one seat at low (if any), and when it's gone then it never opens up again.

Only KIX-SGN on VN is A330 with good seating though, others are regional aircraft w/ just domestic "first" style recliners.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
You can book USA-Vietnam via Europe on one award.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by amolkold
You can try to book USA-Vietnam via Europe on one award.
AF I presume. Lovely relationship with DL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.