Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

FAA Investigating DL near miss over NYC

FAA Investigating DL near miss over NYC

Old Jun 22, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
Originally Posted by us2
This is why TCAS exists. Each aircraft likely got a resolution advisory long before there was a chance of collision. To me, this is, for the most part, a non-story.
+1
Old Jun 22, 2013, 9:52 pm

What, exactly, is a "near miss"?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:16 am
aua

Programs: skymiles
There are vertical and horizontal spatial designations that airplanes are expected to maintain. When an aircraft, or both in this case, are not at or greater than the spatial parameters, it is considered a violation and based on the speed of the aircrafts and the degree of violation, it is considered a near miss.

Last edited by aua; Jun 23, 2013 at 7:17 am Reason: punctuation
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by motytrah
It seems like the 744 knew the plane was there. When the controller advised traffic the crew responded "We see them on our fish finder here." Obviously a MSP based crew.
Only 744 pilot base is DTW.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
A few things I've always wondered about that this situation has brought to light:

1. In parallel runway landings (e.g. 4L/R at JFK or 28L/R at SFO), how do simultaneous go-arounds work? Apparently 4R turns right but 4L should also turn right unless another plane just missed their approach.

2. Why was LGA using rwy 13 which heads right into the path of 4L/4R at JFK? Both airports are close by, have the same runway setup (4/22 and 13/31) so LGA should have been using 4 as well. I'm sure winds prevented it but there are no mountains between LGA and JFK so unless there was a local seabreeze at JFK they almost always have the same winds as well. Just interesting.

3. When landing at SFO on the parallels you always hear the tower telling the aircraft that is slightly behind the other parallel landing to "not overtake the plane on your <left/right> side". I always thought this is because if both planes have to go around that they'd be able to.

Anyway, I think the FAA is probably going to change their rules about parallel landings because of this - or at least in NY when you have a situation where LGA takeoffs are heading right into the path of takeoffs/go-arounds at JFK (assuming JFK was using 4L/4R for takeoffs at that time as well). The media has made a big deal of this and now the public is worried

-RM
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
1. In parallel runway landings (e.g. 4L/R at JFK or 28L/R at SFO), how do simultaneous go-arounds work? Apparently 4R turns right but 4L should also turn right unless another plane just missed their approach.
There is only one missed approach procedure for each of 4R and 4L and nothing on the charts changes them when simultaneous approaches are in progress. The published MA procedures are similar:

4R: climb to 800 on runway heading then climbing right turn to 4000 to a heading of 100. Go to the Deer Park VOR and hold.

4L: climb to 2000 on runway heading then climbing right turn to 3000 to a heading of 70 or so and then back to 62. Go to DUFFY intersection (about 14.8 miles from JFK on that 62 heading) hold.

At first glance these appear to provide adequate separation. I'd have to play with them a bit to see if they are adequate in various SA situations. And will bet the FAA will be doing that, too!

IIR, at some point fairly soon after the 747 initiated the MA for 4L, the tower gave a left turn instruction, for reasons currently unknown, deviating from the published procedure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.