Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Chances Between ATL & MCI?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Question Upgrade Chances Between ATL & MCI?

Does anyone have any experience with the typical upgrade chances for a DM for flights between ATL and MCI? This would be for a Friday outbound to MCI at 08:12 and a Sunday return at 07:10?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, AA, UA, WN, E+ Gold
Flown in/out of MCI a couple times this year, and a couple times last year. Each time on an MD-90. I'm only PM and i've gotten it every time and in every direction. I don't believe MCI is that heavy a route, and a DM shouldn't have a problem.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Flew that back in March. Missed on a Fri to MCI, got it on a Sat to ATL, PM on K fare.

Last edited by DLdweeb; Jun 18, 2013 at 2:25 pm
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM
May - Saturday morning got it going to KC, Monday morning I didn't get it coming back to ATL.

I'm a FO.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: Independent
If you are talking about the last weekend this month, I think you may find flights are a little more crowded.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL-PM/SC; UA-1K; HH Diamond
This was my primary route last year and in 2011. I imagine I took that RT 20-30 times (all different days and times) and maybe missed it 2-3 times, as a DM.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: WFBF, Marriott Titanium
This is my regular outbound flight, and I am about 50/50 as an FO at peak times (like 5:30PM Fri or 7:00AM Mon). IIRC, there is at least one 757 running nonstops - I believe it is up to two daily based on the higher summer demand, so if you can jump for those flights...
Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oshkosh105
This is my regular outbound flight, and I am about 50/50 as an FO at peak times (like 5:30PM Fri or 7:00AM Mon). IIRC, there is at least one 757 running nonstops - I believe it is up to two daily based on the higher summer demand, so if you can jump for those flights...
Thanks everyone for the opinions so far. At least for the mid-July dates that I am traveling, on the Friday the only 757 is the last flight of the day--definitely wouldn't work for me--am running a race the following morning. On the Sunday return--all the flights are M90s.

I'm currently on an award ticket, so my upgrade chances won't be nearly as good as my DM status would indicate.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA EXP
As a DM in MCI, I've never missed an upgrade on MCI-ATL and v.v., even on an award ticket. MCI-MSP and MCI-DTW, however, I've had flights w/o an upgrade even on M and B fares (typically when purchased 2-3 days before the flight).
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by atl runner
Does anyone have any experience with the typical upgrade chances for a DM for flights between ATL and MCI? This would be for a Friday outbound to MCI at 08:12 and a Sunday return at 07:10?
Do it all the time. I am based in MCI and PM - regularly get UG. As a DM your odds are extremely good.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I am a PM who flies to MCI regularly.
Pre-FCM, I almost always cleared at the window.
Now, it's a bit of everything - clearing at the window, clearing after 5 days but before the gate, clearing at the gate.

A DM should be fine.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
I'm also based in MCI, and a segment flyer.

Back when I was gold, I got about 20-30% of the upgrades from MCI-ATL (and back), but missed even more of the ATL-wherever legs...

As a Platinum, I have not missed an upgrade in over a year.

As a Diamond, I'd be shocked if you missed it. (award or no award)

Best of luck!
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'll report back, after-the-fact.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
I am on MCI-ATL this sunday the 23rd, evening flight, MD90 - X fare. PM, upgraded at window.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: DL 5MM/PM/FC, UA Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Life Plat, HLT Gold, Club Carlson Concierge
Did this every week for the past 18 months. Always flew outbound on Monday evenings and back on Friday afternoons. As PM, I was probably 50/50. As DM, I missed an upgrade maybe once or twice -- although it was a close call a couple of times. The availability of the A fares on this route sells a lot of first class seats, it seems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.