Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Advice re: flight change due to subpoena

Old Jun 15, 13, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO

I have a long ago booked family trip using 1 purchased ticket and 1 Amex companion certificate scheduled for early next week. Unfortunately, my wife was subpoenaed at the last minute to testify on behalf of the state at a criminal trial during our trip. We cannot change the court date and, thus, need to change our Delta flights. Ideally, we'd like to travel later in the same day.

Based on my initial call with Delta it doesn't look like SDC will work because there is no availability in the appropriate fare class (U). As far as I can tell, my only option is to change my ticket (which at $200 change fee + fare differential costs well more than the original ticket) and buy my wife a new one at last minute fares.

Has anyone heard of DL waiving fees or not charging the fare differential for this sort of situation? If so, who should I speak with about this? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
adl_dlflyer
Old Jun 15, 13, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver   |   Former: DL Diamond, HA Pualani Gold
Since you're a PM, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find someone to accommodate you if you actually explain the subpoena situation. I'd try calling a second time if the first person won't help, and then I'd recommend politely asking for a supervisor if the second try fails. I've had supervisors help with all sorts of things that are technically against policy, when there are extenuating circumstances.

BTW, even though same day confirmed is mostly gone now, you can still go standby for a later flight, even if the fare class isn't available.
Old Jun 15, 13, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately I'm not PM anymore. I was PM last year but curtailed my travel due to a new addition to the family and am now just silver. I expect my travel to ramp back up but I'm not sure that helps now. (Sorry for the confusion - should have updated my profile)
Old Jun 15, 13, 1:24 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by adl_dlflyer View Post
I have a long ago booked family trip using 1 purchased ticket and 1 Amex companion certificate scheduled for early next week. Unfortunately, my wife was subpoenaed at the last minute to testify on behalf of the state at a criminal trial during our trip. We cannot change the court date and, thus, need to change our Delta flights.
Have you talked to anyone at the DA's office about this, they're the one's that have created your problem

At a minimum, they might pay your change fees.

Bob H
Old Jun 15, 13, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

We tried this, but were told that it wasn't an option. My wife needs to make herself available at her own expense, apparently. They were helpful with scheduling the testimony early in the trial so we miss as little of the vacation as possible.
Old Jun 15, 13, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Any chance of getting the judge to issue an order mandating that DL accommodate you?

GA judge, GA-based airline, you're departing from a GA airport.

Just brainstorming here...
Old Jun 15, 13, 6:05 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL Silver, HHonors Gold
More brainstorming:
1. Is it absolutely necessary for you and you wife to take the same flight? (That could save you refaring and change fees at least).
2. This MIGHT be a situation where redeeming miles for your wife's replacement ticket might actually be a good value versus a last minute ticket purchase.

My condolences and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my wife and I never get caught in a similar situation with our booked companion tickets.
Old Jun 15, 13, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of working with the judge but timing is tight as the trial starts Monday.

My wife and I could split up and save the cost of rebooking my flight, but this is complicated by the fact that we are traveling with our young baby and would strongly prefer to travel together.

We may well end up using miles for a last minute ticket although it's painful to use 120K miles for two domestic coach tickets.
Old Jun 16, 13, 3:01 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG LT Gold
I'd try again calling, and as someone upthread suggested, politely asking for a supervisor if the agent can't help. It's definitely worth trying another time or two before you resort to spending all those miles.
Old Jun 16, 13, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Delta might also open up U-class closer to departure, but it's a gamble.
Old Jun 16, 13, 7:48 am

Programs: Delta, United, AA, Jet Blue .... Whichever is Cheapest
Was your wife get called to testify as a private citizen, or as an expert witness?
Old Jun 16, 13, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Spent a couple of hours on the phone with Delta. The various agents I talked with were willing to waive the $200 reissue fee, but not the fare differential for my ticket. One agent tried to rebook my wife's companion fare but was unsuccessful and ultimately I was told variably that it either can't be reissued or only reissued in L,U,T classes (none of which are available on any flight the day we need to leave).

Currently I think the best options are either
(1) Wife and I fly separately, use 60K miles for her flight
(2) Change my ticket (~$400) and use miles for wife's ticket (60K).

None of the agents I've spoken with think the chance of U class opening up is good, although you never know. I plan to call again this afternoon and see if I can get a supervisor. I'm not optimistic, however, as I was told by multiple agents that "nobody at DL" has the authority to rebook the companion certificates in non-LUT fares. I guess I could try Amex, which apparently has the authority, but I'm not even sure who I would talk with there. Technically I think she's testifying as a private citizen.
Old Jun 16, 13, 11:34 am

Programs: UA GS
Trip Insurance?

While this is not an option for this specific trip, I was wondering if purchasing trip insurance would have covered this situation?

Several years ago, my father in law, booked a very expensive cruise. He is a consultant who serves as an expert witness. He mentioned that he had to cancel the cruise, due to a change in the trail dates. However, he was covered by the trip insurance policy.

I'm not sure if the Trip insurance policy offered by Delta/Allianz would have covered your situation. I'm not a fan of trip insurance, but this may be one situation where it may make sense.
Old Jun 16, 13, 12:06 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by PBAudit View Post
While this is not an option for this specific trip, I was wondering if purchasing trip insurance would have covered this situation?

Several years ago, my father in law, booked a very expensive cruise. He is a consultant who serves as an expert witness. He mentioned that he had to cancel the cruise, due to a change in the trail dates. However, he was covered by the trip insurance policy.

I'm not sure if the Trip insurance policy offered by Delta/Allianz would have covered your situation. I'm not a fan of trip insurance, but this may be one situation where it may make sense.
If somebody needs insurance for something where they can not afford the loss, that is one thing. The buyer expects to lose money, but avoids catastrophy.

But change fees and repricing? Give me a break. The OP CAN afford to pay for the new tickets if he has to, he is just looking for the best option at this point.

Other than medical (or some weird circumstances) if one can not afford the loss that the insurance would cover, they should just avoid the trip. The guys who sell this (and stuff like protection plans on electronics) live off those who do not understand that those 20$ add-ons add up.
Old Jun 16, 13, 12:33 pm

Is it possible for her to give a deposition to the court?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: