Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award travel to SYD and AKL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I enjoyed Port Douglas a lot. The Great Barrier Reef is quite close to shore, and you're an easy drive from the Daintree, which has some great trails and things to explore.
It's a great area (plus with Cape Trib). I always wonder why it's off Americans' radar. And those Americans that make it to the area just stop at Cairns, which given what else is in the area, doesn't seem to me to be worth staying in.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mojo2121
Cool - ill give that a try! So you can book the domestic legs through VA as well? I'm having trouble finding anything in low.

When are you headed out there? We were originally thinking feb-march but it sounds like that's the wet season and there are "stingers" around. Is April-May better and how cold would SYD and New Zealand be then?
We are heading up there in December - I'm kind of indifferent about the rainy season since most people equate it to summer in FL (pop up showers and downpours, but not a daily soaking). The only thing that would truly put a damper on things would be a typhoon, but we'll figure it out if it happens! Currently trying to figure out stops on the SYD-BNE drive and not get gouged on a one-way rental car - best of luck with your trip planning!!
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I enjoyed Port Douglas a lot. The Great Barrier Reef is quite close to shore, and you're an easy drive from the Daintree, which has some great trails and things to explore.
Care to write a mini-trip report in the Australia forum for those of us planning a trip to the Daintree and PD ?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by taylorc418
Care to write a mini-trip report in the Australia forum for those of us planning a trip to the Daintree and PD ?
Yeah, that's probably not going to happen anytime soon. I'm way behind on my NZ trip report from this year's trip, but that one's been started, so I need to finish it. I do recommend Wavelength for a snorkel trip out of PD. Small boat and with a marine biologist on board. Was a great day out for me. Other than that, I say book accommodation (lots of self-catering options in PD) and go. The front desk will help you figure out what's best and check the weather so that you snorkel on the day with the right tides, etc.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Here is an example itinerary of what we were looking at (dates are a bit flexible)

Fly out from LAX 2/28
Arrive in CNS 3/2
Stop over in Cairns for 3 days
Fly to CHC on 3/6
Stay in NZ for 5 days
Open Jaw to SYD on 3/12 from some other airline
Check out Sydney for a day
Fly back 3/14 to LAX

I would like to get feedback from this great community as to whether or not this itinerary seems decent or not (and possible to get with low miles - the domestic trip will be tough :X ). Is 3 days enough in Queensland? 5 days enough for the lower island of NZ? Should we be worried about the season for snorkeling in Cairns (is the water choppy since its the wet season?) and will it be cold in NZ? Any extra recommendations on stuff to do?

Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Anyone have further insight here? Looking to book this weekend.

Thanks to everyone for the help thus far.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:22 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Why not use your stop over in AKL as flights in australia are cheaper
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flymanbeast
Why not use your stop over in AKL as flights in australia are cheaper
Doing so allowed me to also stay a bit over a day in SYD as well. Otherwise, if I did the OJ from BNE to CNS with CHC as the final destination wouldn't I have to travel all the way home from there without stopping?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.