Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Booking trip with SkyMiles inside 72 hours...

Old Jun 9, 13, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec

I'll keep it short:

I'm looking at booking a ticket within the 72 hours from departure rule but outside 24 hours from departure. Does the "24 hour rule" (until midnight the day after booking) still apply, or does the 72 hour rule override?
Old Jun 9, 13, 1:20 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lsugolfer View Post
I'll keep it short:

I'm looking at booking a ticket within the 72 hours from departure rule but outside 24 hours from departure. Does the "24 hour rule" (until midnight the day after booking) still apply, or does the 72 hour rule override?
I've been told by Delta folks that the 24-hour rule doesn't apply to award tickets. That's why you can still put award itineraries "on hold." No first-hand experience, though.
Old Jun 9, 13, 1:20 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM
When I did a last-minute (<72 h) award booking, the Delta agent on the phone told me that I could not change after she had completed the transaction. I think the 24-hour rule is only for non-award travel.
Old Jun 9, 13, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I was granted special exception when I booked some tickets within the 72 hour period outbound... but only because this was a bereavement situation and it was not yet clear that the funeral schedule was set.

I did not have to use the flexibility granted to me... but did have to provide a lot of info for the PNR record. Name of deceased, funeral home, relationship, etc.
Old Jun 9, 13, 1:43 pm

" For SkyMiles Award tickets, please call Delta Reservations to request cancellation. "

The 24 hour cancellation policy does apply to award tickets. Not sure if it does within the 72 hour rule.
Old Jun 9, 13, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL DM
The 24 hour rules does not apply (on award tickets) when you book within 72 hours of flight time. Of course special circumstances may get a waiver.
Old Jun 9, 13, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

That's why you can still put award itineraries "on hold."
How long can you put an award itinerary on "hold"?
Old Jun 9, 13, 7:08 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, DL Silver, EK Silver
How long can you put an award itinerary on "hold"?
In my experience, usually 48 hours.
Old Jun 9, 13, 8:53 pm

If you are booking within 72 hours (or maybe 48 hours) you cannot put on hold. You must complete the purchase.
Old Jun 9, 13, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

If you are booking within 72 hours (or maybe 48 hours) you cannot put on hold. You must complete the purchase.
So any award transaction performed within 72 hours is non-refundable?
Old Jun 9, 13, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
So any award transaction performed within 72 hours is non-refundable?
Yes. It states that when you are booking the ticket

Award Tickets cannot be redeposited or changed within 72 hours of scheduled flight departure time.
Old Jun 9, 13, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Yes. It states that when you are booking the ticket
That's been confirmed and I'm aware of that.

But I'm still not clear on the ability to put a flight on hold...can I put the flight on hold at 96 hours and let it release at 48?
Old Jun 9, 13, 9:37 pm

If booked outside of 72 hours (or there about) it should hold for 48 hours, then auto cancel.
Old Jun 9, 13, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond; SPG Gold; MR Platinum :)
I'll keep it short:

No changes are allowed to initial departure on award tickets within 72 hours of departure regardless of when the ticket was booked. Outside of 72 hours you can cancel and change at will. As such the 24 hour rule technically will apply to award tickets outside the 72 hour window. Paid non-refundable tickets can be changed and cancelled at anytime within 24 hours of purchase as long as its prior to departure of the first flight.
Old Jun 10, 13, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by monsrt View Post
No changes are allowed to initial departure on award tickets within 72 hours of departure regardless of when the ticket was booked. Outside of 72 hours you can cancel and change at will. As such the 24 hour rule technically will apply to award tickets outside the 72 hour window. Paid non-refundable tickets can be changed and cancelled at anytime within 24 hours of purchase as long as its prior to departure of the first flight.
Are you sure? Is this coming from the USA government regulation? If so, it would only apply to USA originations.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: