Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Booking trip with SkyMiles inside 72 hours...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking trip with SkyMiles inside 72 hours...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
So I'm still confused...

I want to travel on the morning of June 24th. But won't know if I need to take the trip until June 21st at 5pm at the earliest and June 22st at 8pm at the latest.

Do I book now, or wait until the 6/21-22 time frame?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
So I'm still confused...

I want to travel on the morning of June 24th. But won't know if I need to take the trip until June 21st at 5pm at the earliest and June 22st at 8pm at the latest.

Do I book now, or wait until the 6/21-22 time frame?
Time to consider Type I versus Type II errors:

What happens if you book now and can't go?

What happens if you don't book now but ultimately want to go?

What are the probabilities?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

+1 And I'll add: What if there is no award availability now?

This is all moot if OP doesn't know if it is even available.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Christ, I don't need an excel sheet of data points. I'm trying to figure out when/if I can cancel the flight...I don't want to lose 75,000 miles.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

This is all moot if OP doesn't know if it is even available.
I know what's available now.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL DM
I think you are thinking too much. If you want to travel on June 24 and you cancel by end of the day on June 21, and you are fine. As a PM, you can redeposit for free. After Midnight on June 21, you own the ticket. No money back, no deposit, no return.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
I think you are thinking too much. If you want to travel on June 24 and you cancel by end of the day on June 21, and you are fine. As a PM, you can redeposit for free. After Midnight on June 21, you own the ticket. No money back, no deposit, no return.
Just don't forget and let the June 21 deadline slip past if you do want to cancel.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

So it isn't a 72 hour from departure rule? More like 3 (numerical) days at any point during that day?

Flight would be June 24th at 6am. So that would only be approximately 61 hours if I were to cancel at 5pm on June 21st.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:33 pm

So it isn't a 72 hour from departure rule? More like 3 (numerical) days at any point during that day?

Flight would be June 24th at 6am. So that would only be approximately 61 hours if I were to cancel at 5pm on June 21st.
AFAIK it's exactly 72 hours but I've never tried this.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
If you are booking within 72 hours (or maybe 48 hours) you cannot put on hold. You must complete the purchase.
The workaround is that if you do not have sufficient miles in your account, you CAN put the itinerary on hold.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond; SPG Gold; MR Platinum :)
Are you sure? Is this coming from the USA government regulation? If so, it would only apply to USA originations.
This is coming from DL
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond

I was told by a PA that it is until midnight the day of the day it expires...just my experience.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by JBJ2435
I was told by a PA that it is until midnight the day of the day it expires...just my experience.
Midnight in what time zone?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 6:50 am

Midnight in what time zone?
I believe EST.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by JBJ2435
I asked this question 2 weeks ago and was specifically told it is 72 hours exactly, not the midnight threshold.

Needless to say, I have no interest in testing out to see which phone agent is correct!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.