Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Public Transportation Strike in Venice - what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold

o.k., so here's the scenario...

We have two award tickets booked to VCE that have a return on Friday, June 14th.

I just learned that all public transportaton workers will be on strike that day.
Other than yelling and screaming at the stupidity of European governments for allowing this, what are my best options with Delta?

We can return the next day, but it looks like DL will hit us with mileage penalties.

What would you recommend? I am Platinum if it matters.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
Did you try calling? As PM you shouldn't get any penalties per se with free redeposit, but the flights may be more expensive if you got low tickets, for example, and they are no longer available. I think agents can work around this though, especially in this situation.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
...Can always take a water taxi but they are like 100X the price of the water bus.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Water Taxi is expensive but worth the price IMHO. It takes you door to door right up to the airport without having to schlep your bags and in less than 30 mins.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
The water taxi would be cheaper than the ticket difference. Tip the concierge at your hotel to make sure he/she has you one scheduled the day before.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Swim?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA G; DL G

I took the bus last summer due to wife preference but really wanted to take the water taxi option. Use this as an excuse to take. Cost will be more than justified if it gets you to VCE and eventually home as planned.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
If all public transportation workers will be on strike, will the airport even be open and flights operating? I was on an award ATH-ATL about 7 years ago and there was a strike and DL re-ticketed all passengers for the next day.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by amolkold
Swim?
Not Helpful!
Old Jun 6, 2013, 3:43 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Water Taxi is expensive but worth the price IMHO. It takes you door to door right up to the airport without having to schlep your bags and in less than 30 mins.
It is pricey - I had an early morning flight and the Vaporetti wasn't running. The cost from the Gritti Palace to VCE was about €130 on the water taxi. It was kinda fun - it was dark and we couldn't go very fast because of noise.

We had come by train - it is about 100 feet from the station to the Vaporetti stop. It's also easier to get luggage on and off the Vaporetti than the water taxi.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL DM
FYI, Alitalia workers will allegedly be striking that day as well. Not sure who handles ground ops for DL in VCE.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller
If all public transportation workers will be on strike, will the airport even be open and flights operating? I was on an award ATH-ATL about 7 years ago and there was a strike and DL re-ticketed all passengers for the next day.
That's a great question. There is really not meaningful private transportation in VCE. How will all of the airport employees get to work (although I suppose many of them probably live on the mainland)? It's not like your typical terrestrial city where people just leave hours early in their private cars and battles the traffic... but eventually can still get from point A to point B. Most people in VCE don't have their own boat.

I can't even imagine being stuck in VCE during an ACTV strike.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL GM; AA; UA; BA
If it were me, I'd call now and try to get a flight out the next day. Nothing wrong with an extra day in Venice. But if you don't want or can't stay an extra day, how about moving to an airport hotel the night before. There is a Marriott close by with a shuttle service to the airport. I am assuming that the shuttle is privately operated and not affected by the strike. And also assume that the strike doesn't affect the airport/airlines workers. If it does, then definitely rebook now and don't wait.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...3-75b66089dd79
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
We were in Paris 3 years ago, when a general strike was called for the day we were ticketed to fly home from CDG. We had been told that, on general strike days, all busses and trains shut down, and taxis are generally unavailable.

We called Delta and plead our case to a supervisor, who rebooked us out of Brussels. We were able to get the Thalys high speed train up to Brussels and ended up having a really nice time, and had a good flight home the next day.

That might be what you'll have to do; leave Venice early, and take a 2.5 hour train ride plus a 1 hour bus ride to MXP.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 7:57 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ND76

That might be what you'll have to do; leave Venice early, and take a 2.5 hour train ride plus a 1 hour bus ride to MXP.
The Malpensa Express departs from Milano Centrale, the same station that a train from Venice would arrive. It is less time than the bus and the train will dump you off in the lower level at MXP where it is just an elevator ride to check-in. The train is designed for travelers with luggage.

The Malpensa Express to Centrale is a recent addition, it used to depart Cadorna which wasn't an easy connection from Centrale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.