SkyMiles redemption on Aeroflot

Old Mar 28, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM
Originally Posted by rb.sr
even though I believe the Delta info available to GA (from Timeatic) says visa required for transfer from SVO2 to SVO1, there is a sterile transfer available (they collect the pax and drive a van across the runways to the other terminal). So, if you are will to risk being denied boarding for lack of Russian visa, you can transit at SVO to CIS destinations without an (expensive) Russia visa.
Except that -- at least at present -- SU 563 to ULN departs from SVO2-D, same arrival terminal as the SU flights from the US. So a simple visaless transit should be no problem, though with a 20:00 departure you'll want the second of the two daily SU flights from NYC to minimize your stopover in SVO.

Although I haven't booked eastward award tix on SU, I have booked many headed west from Moscow using my DL miles. In my experience, expertflyer is good but not perfect in showing availability (SU evidently holds some back for its own); Russians tend not to book their award travel too far in advance (so my guess is there should be summertime availability right now); and, anecdotally, award availability seems to be based on a fixed number for each flight that does not vary based on revenue bookings (e.g.,. I have booked award tickets on otherwise rather full flights, but have never seen previously-unavailable award seats suddenly open up shortly before departure of half-full flights).
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:30 am

Skymiles Redemption on Aeroflot

I am hoping someone can help me get past an issue with booking Aeroflot tickets for internal Russian flights. I have confirmed that Aeroflot has award seats allocated for the dates I want to travel on Wandering Aramean, the Delta agents can see the flights as available, but they quote me 120,000 miles needed to fly business class round trip. The Skymiles award chart (taking the lowest tier) shows it should be 45,000 miles. I spoke with a SM agent 4 months ago who agreed it should only be 45,000 miles, but that at that time Aeroflot had not released the seats... What can I say to get past the automated mileage requirement??

Thanks...
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
Originally Posted by Birdways
I am hoping someone can help me get past an issue with booking Aeroflot tickets for internal Russian flights. I have confirmed that Aeroflot has award seats allocated for the dates I want to travel on Wandering Aramean, the Delta agents can see the flights as available, but they quote me 120,000 miles needed to fly business class round trip. The Skymiles award chart (taking the lowest tier) shows it should be 45,000 miles. I spoke with a SM agent 4 months ago who agreed it should only be 45,000 miles, but that at that time Aeroflot had not released the seats... What can I say to get past the automated mileage requirement??

Thanks...
Could you be a little more specific about the origins/destinations? Aeroflot uses zones for award travel, so that may be your problem.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:52 am

SVO - KJA outbound and IKT - SVO return. But I can return KJA if needed.

Thanks
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:11 pm

SVO - KJA outbound and IKT - SVO return. But I can return KJA if needed.

Thanks
It is strange, 120K is not the right number no matter what -- the high award on SU would be 50K at most for that zone (zone 3) if you use SU's charts. ST chart is 100K (high). You confirmed that O is open on your flights? I'd say try calling DL again, maybe a different agent would be able to figure it out. They must be using a wrong award code or there is a glitch with the open jaw. Try SVO-IKT-SVO to check that. Sorry, don't know anything better to help you. Good luck!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:15 pm

OK... I will keep trying the SM agents... Do you know if asking them to try a manual processesing might help?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by glbetrotter
It is strange, 120K is not the right number no matter what -- the high award on SU would be 50K at most for that zone (zone 3) if you use SU's charts. ST chart is 100K (high). You confirmed that O is open on your flights? I'd say try calling DL again, maybe a different agent would be able to figure it out. They must be using a wrong award code or there is a glitch with the open jaw. Try SVO-IKT-SVO to check that. Sorry, don't know anything better to help you. Good luck!
SU's charts won't apply if using DL miles. Should be 45K r/t (it's a valid open jaw that's being proposed, so still 45K) using DL miles. The only thing that I can think of is if the DL computer is trying to treat those cities as Northern Asia rather than Europe, as Europe-Northern Asia r/t in J would be 120K. Sounds like this pricing issue needs to be escalated to a supervisor.

Oh, and Birdways, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:21 pm

OK... I will keep trying the SM agents... Do you know if asking them to try a manual processesing might help?
It may (although I am not sure what exactly manual processing is), give it a try or better yet ask for a supervisor -- s/he may be able to override the mileage that the system spits out.

Not sure if you have status -- PM me the dates if you want, I can call the Diamond desk, they are usually very helpful and creative. If it works, I'll pass the info to you.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller
SU's charts won't apply if using DL miles. Should be 45K r/t (it's a valid open jaw that's being proposed, so still 45K) using DL miles. The only thing that I can think of is if the DL computer is trying to treat those cities as Northern Asia rather than Europe, as Europe-Northern Asia r/t in J would be 120K. Sounds like this pricing issue needs to be escalated to a supervisor.
I thought about that too, but I used my DL miles to fly on SU for 20K in Zone 1 (no such mileage level in ST charts), making me think that somehow SU's mileage levels make their way into DL systems. Neither destinations of OP fall into ST/DL's definition of North Asia (although they are certainly there ...)

And welcome, Birdways, indeed!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:05 pm

Does anyone know if SU releases J seats at the last minute? I booked my wife on a J redemption using Skymiles, but one leg (SVO-CMB) was booked in Y because that was all that was available.

I know Delta will charge me the redeposit fee, but I'm happy to open up a expertflyer account and start checking because one it's a 9 hour flight but also she'd be able to use the lounge on her eight hour layover in SVO.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Does Delta charge YQ on Aeroflot flights?

I redeemed Aeroflot 3 years ago with NW, and really enjoyed the SU J experience, way above anything Delta can offer, on their new A330s
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:13 pm

Yes. On my redemption which was IAD->CDG->SVO->CMB and return, I was charged $450 in taxes of which $250 was for fuel surcharges on SU.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Does Delta charge YQ on Aeroflot flights?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
Skymiles for FF ticket on Aeroflot

...any suggestions on how to search Aeroflot metal award availability. DL.com does not appear to do it (unless there are zero award seats for the dozens of dates I tried).

KVS does not appear to cover SU (aeroflot) as far as i can tell.

Any suggestions...or does aeroflot simply not release award seats to skyteam partners?

-bubu
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
ExpertFlyer shows Aeroflot award availability. SU-metal awards are not bookable on delta.com. The supported carriers are listed as DL, AF, KL, AS, HA.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
There was just recently a thread related to award availability on Aeroflot. Search is your friend!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.