FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Airline Partner Mileage Accrual Updates (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1472913-airline-partner-mileage-accrual-updates.html)

SkyMilesTeam Jun 4, 2013 9:17 am

Airline Partner Mileage Accrual Updates

You know the ins and outs of our program better than many, but even so, we’ve seen frequent questions about miles earned with partner airlines within the forum. And you aren’t the only ones with these questions - we get them from many feedback channels. We’ve made some updates to clarify benefits across our airline partners.

We will be publishing a new mileage earning chart on delta.com today – effective for travel on and after September 1, 2013 – that organizes partner airlines into four groups. The new chart allows you to quickly see an overview of the base miles, Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs), elite-tier bonuses and class-of-service bonuses you’ll earn for flights marketed and operated by our partner airlines.

The chart also includes a few modifications to miles earned with airline partners. We’d like you to understand that each airline determines its level of participation in partnership with us, so there are varying levels of customer rewards when flying with our partners. You earn more miles with some partners and less with others.

The changes will all be included on our airline partners page later today.

hoth300 Jun 4, 2013 9:25 am

I'm sure that by modifications, you mean that Delta is increasing the number of SkyTeam partner fare classes that earn MQMs and redeemable miles, right?

rylan Jun 4, 2013 9:31 am

So is KE leaving skyteam? I see that they will no longer earn MQM regardless of class. With no MQM earning as far as I'm concerned they are not a skyteam partner as it makes flying on them worthless unless it is one of the limited DL codeshares.

I also see that the asian 'partners' in general are getting additional reductions to bonus earning for high fare tickets.

HongKonger Jun 4, 2013 9:31 am

Originally Posted by DwayneSkyMiles (Post 20864074)
You know the ins and outs of our program better than many, but even so, we’ve seen frequent questions about miles earned with partner airlines within the forum. And you aren’t the only ones with these questions - we get them from many feedback channels. We’ve made some updates to clarify benefits across our airline partners.

We will be publishing a new mileage earning chart on delta.com today – effective for travel on and after September 1, 2013 – that organizes partner airlines into four groups. The new chart allows you to quickly see an overview of the base miles, Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs), elite-tier bonuses and class-of-service bonuses you’ll earn for flights marketed and operated by our partner airlines.

The chart also includes a few modifications to miles earned with airline partners. We’d like you to understand that each airline determines its level of participation in partnership with us, so there are varying levels of customer rewards when flying with our partners. You earn more miles with some partners and less with others.

What is your explanation for why so many partners have chosen to reduce their level of participation with DL?

DLroads Jun 4, 2013 9:37 am

Let me guess how hard was that decision... :rolleyes:

Was it:
(a) The wrong one?
(b) The left one?
(c) The ham one?
(d) The right one?

hoth300 Jun 4, 2013 9:38 am

Originally Posted by DLroads (Post 20864205)
Let me guess how hard was that decision... :rolleyes:

... but it was the right one.

DLroads Jun 4, 2013 9:58 am

You know, I really like the retroactive changes to the T&C of mileage earnings... the ones where you buy a flight ticket under certain earnings and then finding yourself and your team earning less miles than planned in the fall. I wonder what would consumer affairs associations have to say about that.

HongKonger Jun 4, 2013 10:01 am

Originally Posted by DLroads (Post 20864325)
You know, I really like the retroactive changes to the T&C of mileage earnings... the ones where you buy a flight ticket under certain earnings and then finding yourself and your team earning less miles than planned in the fall. I wonder what would consumer affairs associations have to say about that.

First thing I thought too. The shadiness continues.

jrkmsp Jun 4, 2013 10:03 am

Man, this sure makes it seem like Delta and Korean are as far away as ever from some sort of JV/further integration across the Pacific. And that's too bad. Would dramatically increase Delta's Asian network. I hope Delta adds some more TPAC flying sooner, rather than later.

sr_tipitinas Jun 4, 2013 10:07 am

There is zero incentive to fly Korean Air now with no MGM. They basically are out of Skyteam. That greatly reduces Delta's Asian footprint.

MSPeconomist Jun 4, 2013 10:10 am

Originally Posted by sr_tipitinas (Post 20864380)
There is zero incentive to fly Korean Air now with no MGM. They basically are out of Skyteam. That greatly reduces Delta's Asian footprint.

And yet, DL recently ended their ICN-NRT service.

roknroll Jun 4, 2013 10:14 am

Originally Posted by HongKonger (Post 20864161)
What is your explanation for why so many partners have chosen to reduce their level of participation with DL?

Exactly.

"We’d like you to understand that each airline determines its level of participation in partnership with us, so there are varying levels of customer rewards when flying with our partners."

You can't lay the blame completely on partner airlines, as Delta sets the prices they charge partners for us to earn miles/mqm's with them. Sounds like DL is pricing partners out of the market.

Zomba Jun 4, 2013 10:21 am

NO MQM for KE? Wow, what a stick in the eye.

StayingHomeIsBetter Jun 4, 2013 10:23 am

More bad news ineptly "disguised" in upbeat PR spin.

This crap is becoming so transparent that it is risible.

The message becomes clearer: "We're so successful that we don't need no steenkin' loyal elites... in fact, we're coming to realize that we don't need no steenkin' partners.".

As I suggested, they are timing these announcements so that each one takes away a bit if the outrage momentum created by the last. This one is no doubt meant to distract us away from the SubClub downgrades.

Death by 1000 cuts...

================================

DLCorpGuy... I see that you are logged on, monitoring how this latest fecal matter in the punch bowl is being received. Are you finding this gratifying?

OnTheSlopes Jun 4, 2013 10:29 am

Airline Partner Mileage Accrual Updates

Wow. SkyTeam no more. Awesome.