Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Airline Partner Mileage Accrual Updates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline Partner Mileage Accrual Updates

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL ♦, Marriot Plt, NATL EE
Looks like UA is getting all my TPAC business now
Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:23 pm

Does Anyone Know How Airlines Compensate Each Other for Miles/Award Tickets

Lots of speculation here about which airlines are upset at which airlines and who is hosing who (the only thing we know is that we are being hosed.)

Anyone KNOW how the airlines settle the frequent flyer stuff between themselves - in other words, who pays who for what, and do they offset each other with credits (e.g., does DL give a free ticket to an SU member, and SU gets a certain number of Skymiles to dole out in return)?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dll
What I take issue with here is the lack of clarity - the e-mail they sent to members stated this:

"In short, we have 25+ partners, and each airline determines its level of participation."

I have difficulty that a Skyteam carrier would say to another: "you cannot reward your own members with miles toward qualification status while traveling on our metal" while still providing actual base miles for the same trip.

All I'm saying is it smells fishy and sounds like a cop out. But what else should we expect from DL?
DL SkyMiles management still seems at least as sleazy as ever.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
How does DL expect us to get to places in Asia and Australia; especially those of us who are based in Europe? If I want to get to Australia, VA is the only airline I could fly with full MQM, and I'd have to change in CDG, AMS, PRG or FCO, and then again in AUH. I was looking forward to the "enhanced" partnership with VS, but now I am at a loss. Where can I go as a LON based flyer who doesn't want to join BA Executive Club?
DL and AF-KL may eventually borrow from the NW-KL playbook, shoving you around based on geographical address on file.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:29 pm

I think the answer is you fly KE but as a DL codeshare. For example, looking at SFO-ICN for October, I see non-stop availability and through NRT and LAX, all coded as DL all the way.

Similarly, If I look for SFO-CGK there are connections using China Airlines codeshares coded DL all the way through. Same for SFO-KUL.

Originally Posted by DaveNC
1. How can Delta continue to market itself to international business travelers without giving any MQM credit for destinations in SE Asia (at least those reachable only by KE)?

2. Aside from the specific issues with KE, the whole thing is too complicated. Now when I'm planning an international trip, in addition to all the other things I have to look at, I will need to come back to this chart to be sure I'm going to get MQM credit.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I think the answer is you fly KE but as a DL codeshare. For example, looking at SFO-ICN for October, I see non-stop availability and through NRT and LAX, all coded as DL all the way.

Similarly, If I look for SFO-CGK there are connections using China Airlines codeshares coded DL all the way through. Same for SFO-KUL.
Are those DL codeshares cheaper or more expensive than the tickets where the operating carrier is also the marketing carrier for purposes of ticketing the very same flights?

If I had a contracted party buy a more expensive ticket for the very same flights, I'd be considering my options in dealing with the fleecing and putting a stop to it.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
No MQMs for KE Flights?

Received an email today outlining ST partners (plus some others like AS, GOL, and VA), and it appears that KE will not earn MQMs!

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...3101101-A01B-A
Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:45 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Here's a post from just a few hours ago from DwayneSkyMiles - an official rep of DL here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l-updates.html
Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:51 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Are those DL codeshares cheaper or more expensive than the tickets where the operating carrier is also the marketing carrier for purposes of ticketing the very same flights?
I swear, I wasn't even looking for an example of where DL was way more expensive... this was just the first itin I priced out. Decided to look for NYC-SGN, for one week in October (10/12-10/20):

KE (JFK-ICN-SGN) in Q class, $1501 all in

DL codeshare, on the same flights, has only B class available, so it's $4,904 all in
Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by naranjero
Cmon, delta!
What's next - reduced earnings on DL flights?
That is basically the definition of EOS!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dw
I swear, I wasn't even looking for an example of where DL was way more expensive... this was just the first itin I priced out. Decided to look for NYC-SGN, for one week in October (10/12-10/20):

DL codeshare, on the same flights, has only B class available, so it's $4,904 all in
Yeah, I regularly fly the LAX-ICN KE route on the A380... and J class it's typically about 50%-100% higher to book as DL coded ticket ($4500 RT vs $8000 RT).

Have also been on CZ LAX-CAN several times lately... Their difference between CZ coded and DL coded on the same flight can be closer to 150% ($3000 RT vs $8000).

So... don't think just booking as DL will be an option for me. More likely a shift to SQ for TPAC flights.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:04 pm
Suspended

UA Insider looking at this thread very recently?

Certainly browsing the DL forum today.

Originally Posted by MSP2SEA
So... don't think just booking as DL will be an option for me. More likely a shift to SQ for TPAC flights.
There ought to be increased audits and other investigations done when someone purchases DL-coded flights operated by other airlines. Actually given the MQD scam, it wouldn't be shocking if DL is counting on DL customers scamming employers/clients for the benefit of DL -- thus increasing the need to scrutinize "loyal" DL customers more frequently even when dealing with just DL-operated flights.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 4, 2013 at 4:11 pm
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:11 pm

Yes, but you would earn zero miles on KE in Q class under the current chart.

When I checked this in the past, I remember concluding that the cheapest DL fare on KE was equivalent to the cheapest fare on KE that earned full RDMs and MQMs.

Originally Posted by dw

Last edited by BigFlyer; Jun 4, 2013 at 4:54 pm
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, the puzzle is that the KE non stops aren't competing with DL non stops.
Not yet. But it is highly speculated that DL will launch SEA-ICN in 2014, and I hope DL has its own ATL-ICN flight eventually. DL will add capacity for DTW-ICN from this August, 777 to 747.

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Edit: I wonder if this decision by KE may be in response to DL's decision not to pay KE for mileage accrual for any fares lower than K.
KE's Skypass recently stopped DL's L,U,T accrual from 2012 Nov. and taking Delta suddenly became unattractive to many Korean people as budget tickets are all in those booking classes. I do have a feeling that it's KE's decision.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by GUWonder
UA Insider looking at this thread very recently?

Certainly browsing the DL forum today.
Sorry. Did not mean to tread on your "Scoop."

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...age-alert.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.