Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Given 300,000 DL Miles for our wedding, where should we go?

Old May 30, 2013, 2:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I know these honeymoon and "where can I go for X amt" get tedious, but I'm driving myself to drink playing with these DL miles.

Was given 300,000 miles for a wedding present. Only time available I have to travel is the first 10 days in January. Basically, high season for anywhere worth going.

Best use of these miles? Only requirement: want to go somewhere warm. Anywhere from Hawaii to Peru to S. Africa to SE Asia. Seriously. Anywhere.

Help please!! 300k miles and lost!
Old May 30, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
for one or two?
Old May 30, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
This doesn't seem too hard (assuming JAX is your starting point). You can get 2 first class award tickets from JAX-HNL/OGG for 270K miles. 2 economy award tix from JAX-Johannesburg for 300K miles.

Other options:
Aruba first class for 200K
Turks and Caicos for 200K in first
Sao Paulo for 225K in coach
Senegal for 210K in coach

You're 30K short to get coach to Sydney

Check this out for some other Caribbean options:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tinations.html

The good news is...my gut reaction that 300K Delta miles will get you about as far as Little Rock didn't prove to be true (no offense to my friends on here from Little Rock!).
Old May 30, 2013, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by pricesquire
I know these honeymoon and "where can I go for X amt" get tedious, but I'm driving myself to drink playing with these DL miles.

Was given 300,000 miles for a wedding present. Only time available I have to travel is the first 10 days in January. Basically, high season for anywhere worth going.

Best use of these miles? Only requirement: want to go somewhere warm. Anywhere from Hawaii to Peru to S. Africa to SE Asia. Seriously. Anywhere.

Help please!! 300k miles and lost!
You can never go wrong with Hawaii. I'm heading there on my honeymoon in a couple months. And it looks like you'll have enough to go First Class. In fact, wherever you go, I would go First Class/Business Elite. My (soon-to-be) wife and I are going in First Class to Hawaii, for both comfort and because it's a special occassion. Also, I can tell you from going through it right now, you'll be fairly exhausted and worn out and stressed out in the months leading up to the wedding (assuming you're not eloping), and if you're looking to go somewhere far away, you may only be further exhuasted if you fly in Economy. I'm very much looking forward to the FC experience as a great way to start unwinding and relaxing before reaching Hawaii.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

Originally Posted by MarkCron
for one or two?
"Honeymoon" would imply "two".
Old May 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCron
for one or two?
Two people, of course

And yeah, would definitely want to go business/first class. Special occasion!

Hawaii is definitely an option, as the points per person requirement seem to be reasonable.

Before I started looking, my first instinct was SE Asia, but 350k miles per person to Thailand?! Forget about it.
Old May 30, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Consider LAX-SYD or BNE for 2 x 150,000 Skymiles in "low".

Likely that you will have to pay for a separate ticket to position to LAX.
Old May 30, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
For whats it worth

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Two people, of course

And yeah, would definitely want to go business/first class. Special occasion!

Hawaii is definitely an option, as the points per person requirement seem to be reasonable.

Before I started looking, my first instinct was SE Asia, but 350k miles per person to Thailand?! Forget about it.
I would do Fiji, Bali, Sydney or Thailand in Coach and buy up for Economy comfort. hawaii is nice but if you do not think you will ever get the chance to go to Asia again i would go in coach. With IFE, better pitch, more leg room it's not that bad. I have done roughly a 50-50 split between BE vs coach to asia and BE is nice but not as nice as the what you experience when you are at some of these remote locations.
Old May 30, 2013, 2:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I'm willing to pay for a separate ticket to get me to the west coast, IF the final destination warrants it (i.e., Asia, South Pacific, Sydney, etc.) If I'm just trying to get to Hawaii (not leaving the United States!), I want to do the full thing on miles!

Willing to get creative with routing, and again, willing to pay for a positioning ticket.

Also willing to leave from ATL or MCO if it dramatically reduces the milage requirement (so far it hasn't).
Old May 30, 2013, 2:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
I would do Fiji, Bali, Sydney or Thailand in Coach and buy up for Economy comfort. hawaii is nice but if you do not think you will ever get the chance to go to Asia again i would go in coach. With IFE, better pitch, more leg room it's not that bad. I have done roughly a 50-50 split between BE vs coach to asia and BE is nice but not as nice as the what you experience when you are at some of these remote locations.
If it were just me, hell, I'd go cargo. I've flown EC TPAC and TATL many times and find it bearable. But, with the significant other, it's business or first class or nothin'! Let's just say...her tastes are more discerning.
Old May 30, 2013, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
You can never go wrong with Hawaii. I'm heading there on my honeymoon in a couple months. And it looks like you'll have enough to go First Class. In fact, wherever you go, I would go First Class/Business Elite. My (soon-to-be) wife and I are going in First Class to Hawaii, for both comfort and because it's a special occassion. Also, I can tell you from going through it right now, you'll be fairly exhausted and worn out and stressed out in the months leading up to the wedding (assuming you're not eloping), and if you're looking to go somewhere far away, you may only be further exhuasted if you fly in Economy. I'm very much looking forward to the FC experience as a great way to start unwinding and relaxing before reaching Hawaii.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!
"Honeymoon" would imply "two".
I have to totally agree with you^
Old May 30, 2013, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
What are the awards like these days to PPT? Bora Bora and Moorea are both great destinations and a short flight from there.
Old May 30, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL SM
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I have to totally agree with you^
If you come here to Hawaii, pack your suitcase, then remove half of the items. You won't need them.

Then pack your wallet full of cash. Once it's packed, double the amount of cash. You will need it.

Then scrap all of your Hawaii plans and travel somewhere else that you'll have a hard time getting to ever again. Occasionally there are $400-$500 fares to Hawaii depending on the time of year. In other words, the Hawaii option will likely always be there. But will the SE Asia or Africa option exist as easily?
Old May 30, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
You can never go wrong with Hawaii. I'm heading there on my honeymoon in a couple months. And it looks like you'll have enough to go First Class.
Depends where you are flying from/to. LAX-OGG FC is nothing special with no special attention or service on a tired old 752. It is not worth the miles.
Old May 30, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
I can only imagine the amount of aggravation and irritation there is surrounding the planning of a wedding. I would never want to add the irritation of trying to redeem skypesos for a honeymoon. It may make sense to contact one of the bloggers that run a booking service and pay the fee to let them do the work. I recently used the folks at onemileatatime to try and book a trip - while it did not work in the end because of the lousy redemption opportunities to the destination I had in mind, I found the people at the booking service to be very helpful and polite. That specific booking service does not charge a fee unless they find something that works for you. May be a worthwhile expense so you can instead go to a cake tasting at ease.
Old May 30, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
While generally a horrible use of miles, depending on your situation, the OP might want to look at using the miles for the hotel also. Or maybe a night or two at a hotel, depending on how many the OP uses for the actual flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.