Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MSP Hub Captives - Anyone left DL this year? Stories

Old May 28, 13, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich

After rumors of DL's SDC policy changes (and the eventual change) started floating around, I finally called it quits with DL for UA. It hurt to move, especially with 400K Sky Pesos lingering, but I am much happier with my move. Granted the network isn't fantastic, but I'm fortunate enough to not require direct flights all the time.

I'd love to hear from others!
Old May 28, 13, 6:20 am

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - 2 Million Miler; Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson GOLD. ParknGo loves me
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota View Post
Granted the network isn't fantastic, but I'm fortunate enough to not require direct flights all the time.
That's what it's really all about, isn't it? Whether or not one is willing to add connections on (virtually) every trip.

I try to stay with DL as much as possible, but prices on some routes, especially the Northeast and with less than 1-2 weeks advance purchase are bit much.

For me unless I absolutely have to...I will take the DL direct rather than adding the time, complexity of connecting in Chicago, Houston, Newark etc.
Old May 28, 13, 8:27 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice platinum, Marriott gold
I switched the other way (from UA/CO to DL) a couple of years ago and I'm very glad I did. CO was a great airline but they went down the tubes when they were assimilated by United, IMO. Check the UA board to read all the complaining over there.
Old May 28, 13, 10:58 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy View Post
CO was a great airline but they went down the tubes when they were assimilated by United, IMO.
Seems to me that those who were UA flyers said CO took over and just calls it UA. Others like you talk about assimilation by United. I am sure it was a combination of both.
Old May 28, 13, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
After rumors of DL's SDC policy changes (and the eventual change) started floating around, I finally called it quits with DL for UA. It hurt to move, especially with 400K Sky Pesos lingering, but I am much happier with my move. Granted the network isn't fantastic, but I'm fortunate enough to not require direct flights all the time.

I'd love to hear from others!
I find connecting in ORD early in the AM to be a breeze.
Old May 28, 13, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by hazelrah View Post
I find connecting in ORD early in the AM to be a breeze.
How has the rest of their elite program been treating you?
Old May 28, 13, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.4 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium
Granted the network isn't fantastic, but I'm fortunate enough to not require direct flights all the time.
Sadly I am not fortunate enough given the time needed and 35 weeks per year on the road or I would be gone.
Old May 28, 13, 4:11 pm

Location: Minneapolis, MN - At least that's where I receive mail...
Programs: DL (DM), AA (EP), SPG (Ambassador), HHonors (Gold)
I'm leaving DL for American this month. Since they canceled the direct flight to Tucson, I had to start connecting. (SLC was super expensive and ATL is out of the question.)

More details are over at http://flyingconsultant.com/2013/05/...lines-for-now/.

I'll see where we're at three months from now, but I am looking forward to trying American. :-)
Old May 28, 13, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP
Originally Posted by aaronhurd View Post
I'm leaving DL for American this month. Since they canceled the direct flight to Tucson, I had to start connecting. (SLC was super expensive and ATL is out of the question.)

I'll see where we're at three months from now, but I am looking forward to trying American. :-)
I'm fairly certain MSP-TUS is just a seasonal cut. Shows as coming back October 1. Definitely a little surprising that they cut it this summer but Tucson isn't exactly a great place to visit in June-September. Cutting the MSP flight though makes DL extremely uncompetitive in the TUS-Midwest market. SLC doesn't have great options and has CRJs and ATL is out of the way to a good part of the Midwest.

I'm definitely interested to see how AA goes for you. Hopefully the new American is a lot better than the old AA and doesn't go the direction of US. The times I have flown them domestically and internationally I was underwhelmed. Ill fly LAN now to South America but AA will never get my business (unless I could catch a 77W - which appears to have a product on par with DL + LAN and possibly even better) because the hard product is atrocious compared to the rest and employees don't seem too helpful but YMMV. I did like a few of the meals but it didn't make up for how poor the Business class product was on the 767s...and coach looked much worse.
Old May 28, 13, 11:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
I am sticking until MQDs kick in. I will hit DM this year but doubt it for next. I fly primarily to FLL/PBI so once spring break is over, I have to connect in DTW/ATL or sometimes more than one place to get there reasonably. If i have to connect, flying UA or AA is not much different.

The biggest drawback is that when IRROPS hit AA or UA from MSP, there is nowhere to go. This is especially true when IRROPS is abound in Chicago or DFW. Not much choice for alternate routings as there is with DL being hub captive as we are.
Old May 29, 13, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, BA Silver
Originally Posted by aaronhurd View Post

If you're doing a status challenge, switch after June 1, 2013 for your AA status to last longer upon completion of the challenge.
Old May 29, 13, 8:25 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
How has the rest of their elite program been treating you?
I can't say:

1) I don't have status on UA.

2) I have been crediting my miles to US. I will note with a degree of irritation my SkyWest UA connection flight miles did not credit to my US account *&@? I will miss US as an option on *A.
Old May 29, 13, 8:45 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice platinum, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by fti View Post
Seems to me that those who were UA flyers said CO took over and just calls it UA. Others like you talk about assimilation by United. I am sure it was a combination of both.
I guess it depends on whether you were premerger CO or premerger UA. Being pre CO (and EA before that), I didn't like the direction CO was headed when they combined with UA, and all the complaints on the UA board seem to confirm to me that I made the correct choice, despite the less than desirable changes happening at DL. YMMV. Technically, it was UA that bought out CO. It's been a while since I flew Continited but I'm flying them from HNL to KWA next month so I'll see how that goes.
Old May 29, 13, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy View Post
I guess it depends on whether you were premerger CO or premerger UA. Being pre CO (and EA before that), I didn't like the direction CO was headed when they combined with UA, and all the complaints on the UA board seem to confirm to me that I made the correct choice, despite the less than desirable changes happening at DL. YMMV. Technically, it was UA that bought out CO. It's been a while since I flew Continited but I'm flying them from HNL to KWA next month so I'll see how that goes.
agree ... probably 75% of the conversation on the UA board refers to "COdbaUA"
Old May 29, 13, 12:34 pm

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
I left MSP a year ago as a DM for PHL and ended up splitting my biz with US Air and as of today I hold PLAT with both DL and US.

I like the DL product better than US, but US has been much better for me in terms of UGs and luggage handling. My last 4 trips with a companion in US I received UGs in 7 of 8 legs with US. With Delta I did 1 trip with a companion and did not get UGs.

As DL and US Plat I have a much better UG record with US than DL, then again I go through the ATL-MSP route so maybe that explains it but my PHL to SLC flights on a Thursday AM did not get UGs either.

I certainly would not leave DL just because a flight is not available for a seasonal period of time. You can use that to rack up extra miles and segments.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: