companion flight change question

Old May 22, 2013, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
companion flight change question

I'm using a companion ticket from my DL amex for an upcoming RT (SFO-ATL-SFO, out on a thur). It now looks like I will be in PHL the right up till this particular thur.

Is there an option whereby I can not take the outbound - but have my companion take the outbound - and then both of us take the return on Sun as planned? My initial reaction is, if i don't take the outbound, the return for me, if not both of us, will be canceled.

At this point the only option i see is to fly PHL-SFO on Wen night and turn back to ATL on Thur which is no bueno.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:19 am

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Your right, the companion can't fly without you, which would cause the ticket to be cancelled
Old May 23, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Originally Posted by mendel k
Your right, the companion can't fly without you, which would cause the ticket to be cancelled
They are seperate ticket numbers, and I can tell you 1) you do not need to fly the ticket to have the companion still use the ticket, it does not cancel when you do not fly with the person, and 2) you can call, and SDC just your flight, both your flights, or the companions, I have done all 3, and as I have reported before, once you SDC your flight or both, you instantly become eligible for upgrades as well (experience is with the old SDC rules only).

Just have your companion check in seperately and nothing will happen. Now you will not be able to just fly the return portion with your companion as your ticket will cancel out.
Old May 23, 2013, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
kss5555, when was the last time you did those things with a companion ticket? DL has put inhibitors on companion tickets that carry along even after doing an SDC. Only way around that is if the ticket has to be fully reissued for some reason, and then you have to hope the agent doesn't put the designator back on.

Its risky to not fly with the companion... odds are it is probably ok, but there is the risk of getting pulled off the plane or denied boarding because the primary pax did a no-show. If you want to no-show, then check in both of you online but only companion go to the airport and board.

As for the question once you miss the outbound, the remaining legs and return are canceled so you cannot do what you are suggesting and still take the return segment.
Old May 23, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
kss5555, when was the last time you did those things with a companion ticket? DL has put inhibitors on companion tickets that carry along even after doing an SDC. Only way around that is if the ticket has to be fully reissued for some reason, and then you have to hope the agent doesn't put the designator back on.

Its risky to not fly with the companion... odds are it is probably ok, but there is the risk of getting pulled off the plane or denied boarding because the primary pax did a no-show. If you want to no-show, then check in both of you online but only companion go to the airport and board.

As for the question once you miss the outbound, the remaining legs and return are canceled so you cannot do what you are suggesting and still take the return segment.
Last time I did this was last fall, I SDC'd to a later flight as a meeting went late, and my companion flew to destination with no issues, I checked in online, and flew later that evening, got upgraded at gate as well. No problem on return, both flew together home, we now had seperate PNR's. Now maybe this has changed, but last Fall no issues.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kss5555
Last time I did this was last fall, I SDC'd to a later flight as a meeting went late, and my companion flew to destination with no issues, I checked in online, and flew later that evening, got upgraded at gate as well. No problem on return, both flew together home, we now had seperate PNR's. Now maybe this has changed, but last Fall no issues.
I am fearing this same scenario....I'm due for a SEA-SLC-SEA rt with my wife, and may be flying back from JFK-SEA hours before. If I can't switch to return the night before, I'm gad to know there are potentially some work around to the companion ticket without jeopardizing the flight.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Thanks for the insight, sadly i dont think I can SDC as I either need to return on Wen to make the Thur flight. If i wait till Tur to try and SDC and it doesnt work i'm SOL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.