JFK T4 SkyClub open?

Old May 24, 13, 8:38 am
  #31  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Posts: 8,144
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
They don't serve Spam in SCs, only fake cheese.
did you really have to spoil all the fun with that comment?
DL2SXM is offline  
Old May 24, 13, 8:40 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC (LGA, JFK, EWR)
Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Posts: 2,059
I'm flying out of JFK a few times this summer on trips to SFO and LAS. Looking forward to visiting this club.
Adelphos is offline  
Old May 24, 13, 9:05 am
  #33  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,797
Originally Posted by Burj View Post
There are more Delta/Pres/Event people here right now than Pax.... It is nice here...and looks like the sun will finally come out so the SkyDeck will be usable... Was really wet this morning...

A gaggle of Virgin Atlantic people here too....rumor is that both Richards are coming...
T4 was necessary because T3 was absolutely disgusting. Also T4 allows the airline a lot more flexibility in later years when replacement aircraft for the 747-400 eventually come online.

But I wouldn't call the expansion of some gates at T4 a huge deal. And there are still many Terminals nicer than T4 around the world.

Charlie Rose asked Anderson if customers will choose Delta for T4 and he got it backwards.

However with that being said: Delta and Virgin @ T4 will compete strongly against the British Airlines/American Airlines alliance and there will be two strong teams going against each other.

I would assume with the Delta alliance, Virgin will need an A380 for JFK and they start to come online for 2015.

Last edited by adamj023; May 24, 13 at 9:10 am
adamj023 is offline  
Old May 24, 13, 9:06 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Programs: LatinPass MM, HH Diamond, NW Platinum, Delta DM MM, SPG
Posts: 432
CNBC had a few live segments from this new Skyclub this morning ... could not help but the think that it looks just like all the other clubs that have been remodeled. DL says they spent $1.5 billion or so this project but I doubt that much was spent on the club. The report says that DL is catering to the business traveler which is where all the $$$ are - but I have to wonder how impressed will the International Business Class Traveller be when they see the low quality drink and snack selections? The snacks in the Skyclubs are ok if one is starving due to no meals served on planes but 90% of the population should not eat that stuff as it has zero nutritional value. (ok so the carrots and celery are borderline nutritious) Perhaps the Business Traveller will be able to expense the upgraded food and beverages, but my guess is that many will not.

I wonder if Delta thinks that if they tell me a million times that this is fantastic - will I start to think it is fantastic?
TexasYankee is offline  
Old May 24, 13, 9:12 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: LGA/JFK
Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, Hertz Gold, National Executive
Posts: 478
Originally Posted by TexasYankee View Post
CNBC had a few live segments from this new Skyclub this morning ... could not help but the think that it looks just like all the other clubs that have been remodeled. DL says they spent $1.5 billion or so this project but I doubt that much was spent on the club. The report says that DL is catering to the business traveler which is where all the $$$ are - but I have to wonder how impressed will the International Business Class Traveller be when they see the low quality drink and snack selections? The snacks in the Skyclubs are ok if one is starving due to no meals served on planes but 90% of the population should not eat that stuff as it has zero nutritional value. (ok so the carrots and celery are borderline nutritious) Perhaps the Business Traveller will be able to expense the upgraded food and beverages, but my guess is that many will not.

I wonder if Delta thinks that if they tell me a million times that this is fantastic - will I start to think it is fantastic?
Supposedly, Delta will be offering more food like sushi according to a press release on the opening of T4. I think someone posted it above.

I'm sure that within a few hours, one FTer will fill us in on if that's true or not. I can always rely on FT for correct info
Pathfinder813 is offline  
Old May 24, 13, 9:16 am
  #36  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,797
Airline clubs are a convenience for frequent travelers since they provide more space, drinks and snacks, power ports and tables and even showers and conferencing facilities at times. But lets face it the drinks and snacks aren't really the main selling feature of these clubs. It is just a quick snack or bite to relive hunger like bar snacks. It isn't meant to be a full service dining facility.

Clubs are designed for what they are, though if it takes sushi or adding a little more to seal the deal with a consumer, Delta will do it.

Last edited by adamj023; May 24, 13 at 9:22 am
adamj023 is offline  
Old May 24, 13, 9:17 am
  #37  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 90,119
Originally Posted by Pathfinder813 View Post
Supposedly, Delta will be offering more food like sushi according to a press release on the opening of T4. I think someone posted it above.

I'm sure that within a few hours, one FTer will fill us in on if that's true or not. I can always rely on FT for correct info
This seems to be a turnaround from policy determined around the time of the merger, when it was declared that all SCs would be equivalent, specifically the ATL E SC would no longer be allowed to offer more food.

Of course, not all of them have the Luxury Bar (yet?) and the cafe menu food was offered in only a few airports.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old May 24, 13, 9:22 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Programs: LatinPass MM, HH Diamond, NW Platinum, Delta DM MM, SPG
Posts: 432
Originally Posted by Pathfinder813 View Post
Supposedly, Delta will be offering more food like sushi according to a press release on the opening of T4. I think someone posted it above.

I'm sure that within a few hours, one FTer will fill us in on if that's true or not. I can always rely on FT for correct info
But at what cost? I did see the post about all the great stuff ... maybe this will give you some insight
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltap...m-club-access/
TexasYankee is offline  
Old May 24, 13, 9:26 am
  #39  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,797
Originally Posted by TexasYankee View Post
But at what cost? I did see the post about all the great stuff ... maybe this will give you some insight
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltap...m-club-access/
America"s love affair with alcohol
adamj023 is offline  
Old May 24, 13, 10:18 am
  #40  
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Santo Domingo, Dom. Rep. / Washington, DC
Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
Posts: 4,170
According to dl.com, "A new Dining Program, featuring premium food and beverage for purchase, is offered exclusively at the flagship Club. Indulge in delicious snacks and gourmet meals paired with wines selected by Master Sommelier Andrea Robinson. Plus, dining at the Club gives you extra time to rest and relax on board."

I assume the Sushi/pre-departure meal will count as "premium food".
SDQBound is offline  
Old May 24, 13, 10:39 am
  #41  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,797
Originally Posted by B7e7US View Post
According to dl.com, "A new Dining Program, featuring premium food and beverage for purchase, is offered exclusively at the flagship Club. Indulge in delicious snacks and gourmet meals paired with wines selected by Master Sommelier Andrea Robinson. Plus, dining at the Club gives you extra time to rest and relax on board."

I assume the Sushi/pre-departure meal will count as "premium food".
People can spend their money in loads of different ways. If premium food on airplanes or in the clubs is how they want to spend it, Delta will cater to that crowd.

Delta is a corporation which keeps piling on lots of employees. Much like a large hotel chain which has to cater to a wide array of travelers needs to succeed in the marketplace, an Airline needs to service the passenger's transportation needs.

Hotels today are complex and cover a wide array of features. In the same vein, Airlines are more than just basic transportation and Delta knows this. It allows a lot of various employees to be added to the business model.

They will cater to every passenger need in the same way a Hotel caters to their crowd including the restaurants and bars and the like.

But one could get just basic service without assigned seating on Delta if they so choose. Even in Hotels you have the in room bars which charge money for various items.

Obviously on the plane itself, if you need something you have no choice but to buy it through the airline and this differentiation will be important between competitors of how service levels are.

But if you are at the terminal, you have loads of choices for vendors and don't even have to join the club.

I was in the USAirways club on invitation by a guest at LGA. I wasn't a business traveler at the time, and this was in the old days so the clubs really did provide a lot of features for business guests because the clubs had powerports and the like for the generation of laptops back then and conferencing abilities and the like.

But the bar itself was disappointing.

Nowadays even the regular terminal areas are seeing power ports so I don't really see any huge advantages lounges provide unless you want some additional seating area or in the case of the new SkyClub at JFK a nicer view of the airport and the airplanes. It really depends what you are looking for.

Clubs still provide some exclusivity though because you are kept away from the main passengers at the gate so people who have name recognition may want the clubs to avoid attention.

Last edited by adamj023; May 24, 13 at 10:49 am
adamj023 is offline  
Old May 24, 13, 11:03 am
  #42  
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Santo Domingo, Dom. Rep. / Washington, DC
Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
Posts: 4,170
Originally Posted by adamj023 View Post
People can spend their money in loads of different ways. If premium food on airplanes or in the clubs is how they want to spend it, Delta will cater to that crowd.

Delta is a corporation which keeps piling on lots of employees. Much like a large hotel chain which has to cater to a wide array of travelers needs to succeed in the marketplace, an Airline needs to service the passenger's transportation needs.

Hotels today are complex and cover a wide array of features. In the same vein, Airlines are more than just basic transportation and Delta knows this. It allows a lot of various employees to be added to the business model.

They will cater to every passenger need in the same way a Hotel caters to their crowd including the restaurants and bars and the like.

But one could get just basic service without assigned seating on Delta if they so choose. Even in Hotels you have the in room bars which charge money for various items.

Obviously on the plane itself, if you need something you have no choice but to buy it through the airline and this differentiation will be important between competitors of how service levels are.

But if you are at the terminal, you have loads of choices for vendors and don't even have to join the club.

I was in the USAirways club on invitation by a guest at LGA. I wasn't a business traveler at the time, and this was in the old days so the clubs really did provide a lot of features for business guests because the clubs had powerports and the like for the generation of laptops back then and conferencing abilities and the like.

But the bar itself was disappointing.

Nowadays even the regular terminal areas are seeing power ports so I don't really see any huge advantages lounges provide unless you want some additional seating area or in the case of the new SkyClub at JFK a nicer view of the airport and the airplanes. It really depends what you are looking for.

Clubs still provide some exclusivity though because you are kept away from the main passengers at the gate so people who have name recognition may want the clubs to avoid attention.
I agree with your long, detailed statement, however, please note that my post was only to provide an additional information that was not posted before and that I thought would be interesting, not a post with a negative connotation criticizing Delta for selling premium food at the lounge.
SDQBound is offline  
Old May 24, 13, 11:12 am
  #43  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,797
Originally Posted by B7e7US View Post
I agree with your long, detailed statement, however, please note that my post was only to provide an additional information that was not posted before and that I thought would be interesting, not a post with a negative connotation criticizing Delta for selling premium food at the lounge.
I did not criticize Delta for selling premium food at the lounge. I absolutely agree with it.
adamj023 is offline  
Old May 24, 13, 11:12 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 85
The sushi platter is indeed "premium food", and is for sale in the lounge this evening for $22.
Other examples are

Small plates:

Rosemary, truffle and parmesan popcorn bowls $5
Steamed Edamame, sea salt and crispy wasabi seaweed $7
Crispy pretzel crostini, mustard and gruyere cheese fondue $6
Large plates:

Cold poached shrimp, saffron aioli, fennel, hard-boiled egg, carrots $18
Sushi platter - 8 pieces of sushi, tuna, salmon belly, Fluke, Snapper, Wasabi, Soy sauce $16
Caesar Salad (with chicken) $15
Tom Otley is offline  
Old May 24, 13, 11:55 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
Posts: 589
How is the complimentary liquor/beer selection at this new terminal? I'm hoping they didn't screw it up like most of the others by bringing in Gordon's and Bud/Lite.
nogophers is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: