Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Are preferred seats still released at 2 hours?

Old May 22, 13, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL,BA,Marriott

On a couple of recent flights I checked the online seat map and it showed that the exit row was open with less than 2 hours to flight time. When I tried to change seats online it said that I have to pay for it when I check in. I politely asked the GA who then made the seat change without charge.

It has been my understanding that unclaimed preferred seats are open to all at 2 hours. Am I wrong or has this changed? I don't have status and would enjoy snagging an exit row seat without paying for it and bothering the GA.
Old May 22, 13, 9:42 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Quite honestly I think it's available for purchase right up until 30 (or 45) minutes prior to departure as people can still be checking in for the flight and DL wants to grab every last penny there is out there for them. That being said, I almost never see/hear the EC/exit row policy being enforced (ie. "if you don't have an EC boarding pass, you may not sit there" spiel). And as of late, I haven't seen many empty seats on flights, especially in the exit row on transcons.

As with upgrades, I would take every instance as a new experience and if you get it for free, great. But, if you WERBER.
Old May 22, 13, 11:48 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by rkb2530 View Post
It has been my understanding that unclaimed preferred seats are open to all at 2 hours. Am I wrong or has this changed? I don't have status and would enjoy snagging an exit row seat without paying for it and bothering the GA.
I'm surprised the GA gave the seat to you for free. A quick search for "preferred seating" on the Delta website yields this answer:

Medallion® members and customers purchasing Y, B, or M Economy Class tickets will continue to enjoy complimentary access to Preferred Seats at the time of booking and all the way up to departure. But now, non-Medallion members can purchase these seats 24 hours prior to departure.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: