Search

Empty Delta CRJ = Private jet!

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL: DM, Marriott: PM
Empty Delta CRJ = Private jet!

Hi All,

New here but wanted to share an interesting story.

On May 12 I woke up a bit late for Amtrak from BWI to NYP, I had a flight to catch at JFK to Shanghai. I was the best man in my friends wedding the night before, so my missing the train was almost certain.

We arrived to BWI and found that there was a flight that would get me in to JFK at 12:00 PM, which was perfect for my 2:00 PM flight to Narita (layover). I bought two one way tickets on the spot, and the Delta agent had some issues booking it but eventually "got us two seats across from each other in an aisle if that was OK."

It was perfect!

We get through security and to the relatively empty waiting area. We soon realized that the only other people on the flight was the Captain, co-pilot and flight attendant! Apparently it wasn't supposed to be booked with passengers so essentially, we all had a good laugh and my girlfriend and I proceeded to enjoy our private jet (CRJ) to JFK.

It was a short (45 min or so) flight but it was cool to have the pilot and flight attendent make announcements to us by our first name! Unlikely to ever happen again (had hopes it would happen for JFK to NRT, but no luck!

Anyways, I've been on 6 or so flight since last week and every flight attendant I've talked to said they've never heard of it! Pretty cool.

Funniest part is the Delta agent who sold us the tickets who "tried to get us a seat together..."

Anyone have this happen to them or hear of anything like this?

Cheers and happy travels!
Old May 22, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
I was once the only person on an AC dash8 CLE-YYZ. Since it was before 9-11 they let me ride in the jumpseat after airborne until initial decent.
Old May 22, 2013, 7:25 am

super cool story! I'm envious.

Do you by chance still have the flight number?
Old May 22, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Its too bad there aren't any good seats on that plane
Old May 22, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Was it a CR2, CR7, or CR9?
Old May 22, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Awesome! I've always wanted this to happen, closest i ever came was a CRJ MSP-ORD i think it was, me+my friend and 2 others in F, maybe another 4in the back
Old May 22, 2013, 9:11 am

Had this happen CMH-LGA on an E145. 6am flight that had to get to LGA. I was in 12A anyways, nothing special, the flight attendant virtually ignored me the whole flight. No service.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Closest I ever had was an empty FC cabin!
Old May 22, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: DL-PM/SC; UA-1K; HH Diamond
I was 1 of 3 on a 735 from AUS-IAH one night. It was the last flight of the night from AUS-IAH. The inbound came from EWR and had been delayed. Evidently the "rest" of the passengers jumped on an earlier flight.

The GA called us by name to board and told us to pick any seat, even FC. It was weird to look back and see an empty 737.

I swear the captain and the f/o had a bet on how low they could set take off power. It felt like they were idleing down the runway. We stopped on a dime at IAH.

It was a neat, albeit very short, flight.
Old May 22, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Had almost the same experience SJU-JFK this past June because of a delay where they rebooked everyone except me and my companion who enjoyed a 757 to ourselves in F with <10 in Y
Old May 22, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: Delta Silver (former GM, fighting way back), Paid Delta SC Member, Hertz Gold, Gold HHonors
Back in the early 90's, I flew an early morning FLL-ATL on a L-1011 where there was only 6 of us on board. They didn't cancel since it had cargo that needed to go, but everyone basically got their own cabin.
Old May 22, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: PC Plat. Ambassador, DL PM
I had this happen to me in 2005 flying PRG to VIE on Austrian. I was supposed to spend the weekend in Krakow but due to a storm in Krakow, I was able to get the agent to reroute me to Prague for the weekend.

On the way back I thought I was late for the flight as they were calling me by name at the gate and nobody was in the waiting area. I boarded the transport bus by myself and boarded the plane. I was getting worried that I would have trouble finding a spot for my bag but once I boarded I realized I was the only one on board.

The flight attendants did all of their normal routines, including the safety presentation for the back half of the plane (even though I was the only one on board and was sitting in the first row) and serving me drinks and snacks several times.

Towards the end of the flight, the captain had a flight attendant bring me to the cockpit to watch the approach into Vienna.

Awesome experience!
Old May 22, 2013, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's only DL related because I used DL miles for the award ticket, but for a TPAC I was one of two in SQ IFC. I did book the cook and was also encouraged to try something from their regular menu, so I had an airplane dinner with both a fish and a meat course.
Old May 22, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL FO
Have not had this at all in my life. I could always keep dreaming. Anyway, when Midwest Airlines was still called Midwest Express, I caught a flight from MCI to AUS on a DC-9-30. There were only six passengers on the jet. Add the crew, and we had ten. All the passengers had their own rows.
Old May 22, 2013, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by psa727
Have not had this at all in my life. I could always keep dreaming. Anyway, when Midwest Airlines was still called Midwest Express, I caught a flight from MCI to AUS on a DC-9-30. There were only six passengers on the jet. Add the crew, and we had ten. All the passengers had their own rows.
I'm jealous. I always wanted to try Midwest Express, the old tobacco company (private fleet) air force or whatever, but I put it off until it was too late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.