Wiki Posts
Search

SC new alcohol policy observation

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Sky Miles DM
SC new alcohol policy observation

Been in a few SC this week and have say the bean counter scored on this one, at least in the short term. Lots of folks paying for the premium drinks. Stella seems to be the big one but also a fai amount of mixed drinks. Delta knows us who like to drink won't drink swill. Luckily I was weaned on Gordon G&T.

I suspect Delta will make a lot of bucks of this move.

Pretty ballsy of DL but they are on a roll.
Old May 16, 2013, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yup, DL saw all of those juicy ham sandwiches just laying there and decided to suck some more blood out of them.

Can't believe pax are paying for the booze now on top of their SC admittance.
Old May 16, 2013, 1:45 pm
Suspended

This is why nothing will change. We are our own worst enemy.
Old May 16, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by g2gtrading
This is why nothing will change. We are our own worst enemy.
Its true - hopefully enough of us who've payed can make our presence felt at renewal time. I think you're seeing the effect of the non-paying (DM and AmEx Plat) masses who are oblivious.
Old May 16, 2013, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by timmy83
Its true - hopefully enough of us who've payed can make our presence felt at renewal time. I think you're seeing the effect of the non-paying (DM and AmEx Plat) masses who are oblivious.
What makes the CC folks non-paying? DL is paid quite handsomely for those folks and the overall business deal is highly profitable. Why would DL care who foots the bill and how it's paid?
Old May 16, 2013, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
What makes the CC folks non-paying? DL is paid quite handsomely for those folks and the overall business deal is highly profitable. Why would DL care who foots the bill and how it's paid?
I believe Amex pays delta a per entry fee for Amex card holders.
Old May 16, 2013, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by liuenci
Been in a few SC this week and have say the bean counter scored on this one, at least in the short term. Lots of folks paying for the premium drinks. Stella seems to be the big one but also a fai amount of mixed drinks. Delta knows us who like to drink won't drink swill. Luckily I was weaned on Gordon G&T.

Location of these SC would be helpful.

Also, have you considered folks aren't yet used to the fees, and are still ordering out of habit? If my go-to drink is a Sapphire & Tonic and the bartender brings it to me, only this time he requests $7 or $8, instead of embarassing myself I might simply pay for the drink(s) this visit and adjust behavior on future visits? Even if I was warned about the fee before the cocktail was made, I might still be too embarassed to cancel an order and request a cheaper alternative. It will take time for patrons to adjust before we have an idea of the true impact of these changes.
Old May 16, 2013, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Those that want to drink, are going to do so...if they have the $$, I think in many cases, they'll pay. Pretty sad considering the increase in SC membership price this year.

Most I know laugh when someone mentions Gordon's and Gin in the same sentence...
Old May 16, 2013, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by rwoman
... Most I know laugh when someone mentions Gordon's and Gin in the same sentence...
considering your primary location, I fully understand why
Old May 16, 2013, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by jrl22
considering your primary location, I fully understand why
Although I do know someone in the USA who wants me to bring them Gordon's Sloe Gin, but that's a bit more unique I guess!
Old May 16, 2013, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
"made by steeping Sloe berries in Gordon's gin"

I guess that would fall into the category of an acquired taste ...
Old May 16, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by liuenci

Funny to see people in the US drink Stella because they think it's a quality Import. It's owned by AB InBev. They using RICE. In BEER.
It's a cheap beer in Europe. Not sure how it's attained such an premium status in North America.
Old May 16, 2013, 2:55 pm
Used to be hamajicky

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Funny to see people in the US drink Stella because they think it's a quality Import. It's owned by AB InBev. They using RICE. In BEER.
It's a cheap beer in Europe. Not sure how it's attained such an premium status in North America.
Marketing. Chalices.
Old May 16, 2013, 3:05 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Those entering with AmEx Plat probably are some of the best revenue for DL. But since the traveler doesn't pay extra out-of-pocket for the entrance fee, they probably feel it is OK to fork out $$$ for drinks.
Old May 16, 2013, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by fti
Those entering with AmEx Plat probably are some of the best revenue for DL. But since the traveler doesn't pay extra out-of-pocket for the entrance fee, they probably feel it is OK to fork out $$$ for drinks.
not sure what makes you think that those of us who pay $450 "out of pocket" a year for an Amex plat (and I do it mostly for the Skyclub perk) are more than happy to pay for something that was free last week?

Your assertion makes no sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.