Search
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Last updated: 03/7/2018

Delta Air Lines Boeing 747-400 Fleet Status/Information

Of 16 frames: 0 Active, 1 Preserved, 15 Retired/Stored,

Registration / Ship# (Delivery Month/Yr): Status/other information

N661US / 6301 (12/89): Preserved at the Delta Flight Museum. Was the first 744 ever built. Last revenue flight was HNL-ATL arriving on the morning of 09/09/15. Arrived at the Delta Flight Museum 04/30/2016 and was renovated to be a permanent exhibit. To learn more about the project visit this website. (DL museum website is here)
N662US / 6302 (03/89): Retired, flew to MZJ on 10/15/17. Was the first 744 (in 2012) to be renovated into the 376 pax configuration after the DL/NW merger.
N663US / 6303 (01/89): SCRAPPED, flew to MZJ on 11/05/15.
N664US / 6304 (04/89): SCRAPPED, en-route (DTW-ICN) over China on 06/17/15, was severely damaged by hail. Temporary repairs to make it air-worthy were made. It flew directly from ICN to MZJ on 07/10/15.
N665US / 6305 (09/89): SCRAPPED, flew to MZJ 12/01/16. Was the first 744 (in 2008) to be re-painted in the Delta livery after the DL/NW merger.
N666US / 6306 (08/89): Retired, flew to MZJ 12/26/17. Was the last 744 (in 2017) to perform a revenue passenger flight (12/19/2017 DL158 ICN-DTW).
N667US / 6307 (07/90): Retired, flew to MZJ 11/18/17.
N668US / 6308 (07/90): Retired, flew to MZJ 12/06/17.
N669US / 6309 (08/90): Retired, flew to MZJ 12/23/17.
N670US / 6310 (08/90): Retired, flew to MZJ 12/26/17.
N671US / 6311 (03/99): Retired, flew to MZJ 09/30/14. Due to 6304's damage, it was pulled from storage on 06/28/15 and re-entered revenue service. Was flown back to MZJ and re-retired on 10/31/15.
N672US / 6312 (07/99): Retired, flew to MZJ 10/01/14.
N673US / 6313 (08/99): Retired, flew to MZJ 10/31/16.
N674US / 6314 (10/99): Retired, flew to MZJ 01/03/18. Was the last 744 in the fleet to retire (in 2018).
N675NW / 6315 (03/02): Retired, flew to MZJ 10/25/15.
N676NW / 6316 (04/02): Retired, flew to MZJ 10/01/14.

Fleet Notes:

Final scheduled flight: DL158 ICN-DTW 12/19/17 (N666US).
Print Wikipost

DL 747 fleet operation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
When they take off from ANC they must have enough hours remaining for flight to PVG.
But when they take off from MSP, they must have even more hours remaining for an even longer flight to PVG.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kjnangre
But when they take off from MSP, they must have even more hours remaining for an even longer flight to PVG.
MSP is a very short flight. Less risk of delays on way to MSP. Also MSP is a DL hub and can get the plane turnned around much quicker. Also there's less time for Chinese ATC to have required a longer route to PVG.

ANC is much longer flight with more room for flight delays. Filling up a 747 isn't something DL there would likely be adept at or require a 3rd party to do on DL behalf. Now also add in any airport delays, and any changes Chinese ATC made since departure at DTW. Means greater likelihood that crew will no longer be legal to takeoff again.

Basically since MSP is such a short flight, there's less time for delays to occur before taking off again.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite, SpaceX Lunar Elite
Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
This whole DTW-PVG development due to 2,000 less feet of runway is fascinating to me. Running an airline is hard.
Agreed. I flew DTW-NRT on 9/11 and we were delayed slightly while the pilot worked with ATC to ensure he could get out on the shorter runway. He said we were a little heavy on fuel so he had to burn some off so we sat for 30-40 min. i was listening to the ATC conversation and he had several discussions with them regarding the direction of takeoff and winds. I was glad when we were wheels up before we reached the end of the 10000 runway!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Some good discussion all around here.

Remember the whole reason for the flagstop is to accommodate payload. If the payload can be accommodated on MSP-PVG, and the crew duty time can handle it, then MSP is where it's going to be. Super Hub, Delta maintenance, pilot base, plenty of hotel rooms, etc. ANC has Delta mainline employees and they perform admirably, but too much can go wrong and you are basically at the "end of the rubber band" as far as the airline's network goes... if you break and time out a crew in ANC, its a 24 hour delay. Also, good luck finding hotels for 376 passengers in ANC.

For winds / fuel burn, it really depends on the city pair and the season, but these DTW-China flights usually optimize on a polar routing. This can be several hundred miles north of ANC or even FAI, so an ANC stop isn't optimal even though most people would think Alaska is "on the way" for a pacific flight. Compare to the NRT flights where the "sweet spot" usually is almost right over ANC, and the flights join the NOPAC routes coming down off the east coast of Siberia.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
Some good discussion all around here.

Remember the whole reason for the flagstop is to accommodate payload. If the payload can be accommodated on MSP-PVG, and the crew duty time can handle it, then MSP is where it's going to be. Super Hub, Delta maintenance, pilot base, plenty of hotel rooms, etc. ANC has Delta mainline employees and they perform admirably, but too much can go wrong and you are basically at the "end of the rubber band" as far as the airline's network goes... if you break and time out a crew in ANC, its a 24 hour delay. Also, good luck finding hotels for 376 passengers in ANC.

For winds / fuel burn, it really depends on the city pair and the season, but these DTW-China flights usually optimize on a polar routing. This can be several hundred miles north of ANC or even FAI, so an ANC stop isn't optimal even though most people would think Alaska is "on the way" for a pacific flight. Compare to the NRT flights where the "sweet spot" usually is almost right over ANC, and the flights join the NOPAC routes coming down off the east coast of Siberia.
Gcmap it. ANC isn't any more out of the way than MSP. One could argue the colder air in AK would be better than landing and taking off in 80 degree wx in MSP.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by bonoman
Gcmap it. ANC isn't any more out of the way than MSP. One could argue the colder air in AK would be better than landing and taking off in 80 degree wx in MSP.
That's why I said "optimized." An optimal burn route may or may not be even close to the great circle route. a 13-hour transpac flight will look different eastbound vs. westbound as the winds create different optimal routes, and even these vary over the course of the year, even though the GC route would be the same.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
DL583, DTW-PVG, is scheduled for a fuel stop in MSP Friday and Saturday. Get your cameras out — I know the spotters' park will be packed, especially on Saturday.
A pilot on my flight said that the fuel stop was planned for Thursday. I'm going to check to see whether it really happened. He was aware of the VDBs that were done Wednesday to avoid the MSP fuel stop. He also said that DL had paid some folks $4000 (presumably in vouchers) not to take an oversold flight for a Notre Dame football game. I assume he meant a flight from DTW to South Bend last weekend but I don't know whether they were playing home or away, so this might be wrong.

It sounds like DL pays to offload a few passengers from flights that are close to not needing the fuel stop, but plans the fuel stop on days when the DTW-PVG flight is more fully loaded with passengers and cargo.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bonoman
ANC is 10 more miles out of the way (though both are certainly pretty efficient stops...) and has fewer resources. Color me completely unsurprised that Delta chooses MSP. It's about as efficient a routing as they can do.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: DL PM, 2+MM, AA Gold 1+MM, HH Diamond, MHG Silver,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A pilot on my flight said that the fuel stop was planned for Thursday. I'm going to check to see whether it really happened. He was aware of the VDBs that were done Wednesday to avoid the MSP fuel stop. He also said that DL had paid some folks $4000 (presumably in vouchers) not to take an oversold flight for a Notre Dame football game. I assume he meant a flight from DTW to South Bend last weekend but I don't know whether they were playing home or away, so this might be wrong.
Bumps were out of ATL. Georgia was playing at Notre Dame and apparently revenue management underestimated the fan support of UGA!
Delta paid one family of 3 people $4,000 vouchers each to get off the non stop to South Bend and re-route thru MSP.

It took an additional 8 hours and the 3 people made it to the game on time (I don't know if this happened on Friday or Saturday). $12K for an 8 hour re-route is a pretty good deal!

Now back to our regular programming: I was on NRT-DTW on Tuesday in 77A. Great experience! Will be sad to see the end of this aircraft.

Last edited by lov2fly; Sep 15, 2017 at 7:37 am
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
ANC is 10 more miles out of the way (though both are certainly pretty efficient stops...) and has fewer resources. Color me completely unsurprised that Delta chooses MSP. It's about as efficient a routing as they can do.
From a passenger perspective I'd prefer a quick stop shortly after departure as opposed to flying halfway there and possibly getting my sleep interrupted. Then taking off again.
bonoman and Tom45 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
From a passenger perspective I'd prefer a quick stop shortly after departure as opposed to flying halfway there and possibly getting my sleep interrupted. Then taking off again.
Me too, but I'd also like the airline to announce in advance when they're doing this and permit people with tight schedules to rebook/reroute to avoid the predictable delay.
hi55us and FlyerTalkUserName like this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 15, 2017 at 10:15 am Reason: Correcting autocorrect
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Me too, but I'd also like the airline to announce in advance when they're doing this and permit people with thighs schedules to rebook/reroute to avoid the predictable delay.
Agree. Though DL seems to be announcing it at least 36 hours in advance on Delta.com. So hopefully passengers in this situation can reroute on one of the earlier flights.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
If anyone is on DL295 (ATLNRT) tomorrow, then you're in for a treat

Check out DL9932 today...https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL9932
bonoman and FlyerTalkUserName like this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:47 am

First - so much for the "Last Domestic Flight" each of the past 3 weeks.

Second - darn it -- I missed it by 3 days!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:49 am

And there's still 3 seats open in the Upper Deck....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.