Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Million Miler trumps Reserve card for Upgrade Priority?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)

I was travelling last week with my father and encountered this. I am DM with a DL Reserve card, while my father is DM (and 2 or 3 Million Miler) with no Reserve card. I booked the itinerary for the both of us at the same time - so we were in the same fare class, same time of booking.
Based upon my understanding of upgrade priority, I expected to be in front of him on the upgrade list thanks to my Reserve card. While at the airport, I asked the agent what was our place on the list, and she responded that my father was 1st and me 2nd. I looked perplexed and asked her how, and she replied that it was because my father was Million Miler...she said that factored in to the upgrade priority.
Now everything I have read about DL's written policies would lead me to believe that this is false and the agent misinformed, but in practice that's what happened (not that I mind in this case bc the old man deserves the upgrade in front of me - luckily we were both upgraded!).
Does anyone know what's up with this?

P.S. I just looked on delta.com and there's no more mention of the Reserve card being a tiebreaker: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html
Old May 15, 2013, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Interesting... is reserve card tiebreaker in fact no longer a benefit? Any DL rep able to chime in?

Based on your experience it would seem that the reserve was not given priority, since you are both DM and same fare class so you should've been ahead. When you book two pax together, one does have a slight time advantage, usually by 1 second or some fraction (but don't know if the system sees that) since one ticket is purchased and then the next. You can see that based on the sequential ticket numbers... is yours after him?

I did find this that mentions upgrade priority for reserve... http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/cc_b...reserve_tc.php

Last edited by rylan; May 15, 2013 at 1:43 pm
Old May 15, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Technically one was ticketed first, it will have the lower ticket number.
Old May 15, 2013, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If your father was the first ticket in the PNR which was later split, the system could be seeing you as a sort of glorified excompanion and not going back to look for the Reserve card status, I guess. Or maybe splitting the PNR permanently keeps people in the upgrade order they were in on the single PNR, although this would get messed up if others on the upgrade list should be, for instance, lower than father but higher than son.

Is there now nothing on delta.dumb that specifies Reserve card giving upgrade priority? How is the card currently being marketed with respect to the upgrade priority question?
Old May 15, 2013, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
Interesting... is reserve card tiebreaker in fact no longer a benefit? Any DL rep able to chime in?

Based on your experience it would seem that the reserve was not given priority, since you are both DM and same fare class so you should've been ahead. When you book two pax together, one does have a slight time advantage, usually by 1 second or some fraction (but don't know if the system sees that) since one ticket is purchased and then the next. You can see that based on the sequential ticket numbers... is yours after him?

I did find this that mentions upgrade priority for reserve... http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/cc_b...reserve_tc.php
Time of booking should only be the last case tiebreaker. Reserve tiebreaker should have kicked in first as I'm sure you'll agree.
Interesting that in your link it says: "Increased Upgrade Priority within Medallion tier and fare class is applicable only to primary Cardmember and within the Complimentary Medallion Upgrade Program" but then in the Complimentary Medallion Upgrade Program details there is no longer any mention whatsoever of the Reserve card - http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html . ??????
Old May 15, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dmorbust
Time of booking should only be the last case tiebreaker. Reserve tiebreaker should have kicked in first as I'm sure you'll agree.
Interesting that in your link it says: "Increased Upgrade Priority within Medallion tier and fare class is applicable only to primary Cardmember and within the Complimentary Medallion Upgrade Program" but then in the Complimentary Medallion Upgrade Program details there is no longer any mention whatsoever of the Reserve card - http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html . ??????
This quote seems to suggest that having the Reserve card doesn't help with wait listed SWU or miles upgrades. I didn't know that.
Old May 15, 2013, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
I was travelling last week with my father and encountered this. I am DM with a DL Reserve card, while my father is DM (and 2 or 3 Million Miler) with no Reserve card. I booked the itinerary for the both of us at the same time - so we were in the same fare class, same time of booking.
Based upon my understanding of upgrade priority, I expected to be in front of him on the upgrade list thanks to my Reserve card. While at the airport, I asked the agent what was our place on the list, and she responded that my father was 1st and me 2nd. I looked perplexed and asked her how, and she replied that it was because my father was Million Miler...she said that factored in to the upgrade priority.
Now everything I have read about DL's written policies would lead me to believe that this is false and the agent misinformed, but in practice that's what happened (not that I mind in this case bc the old man deserves the upgrade in front of me - luckily we were both upgraded!).
Does anyone know what's up with this?

P.S. I just looked on delta.com and there's no more mention of the Reserve card being a tiebreaker: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html
Were you on the same PNR? Or a differen PNR? If on the same PNR, then it doesn't matter who is displayed first, as you will only be upgraded together or not at all. If you did indeed book seperately and were on different PNRs, then something may be a little fishy. Need more details before saying for certain though.
Old May 15, 2013, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Were you on the same PNR? Or a differen PNR? If on the same PNR, then it doesn't matter who is displayed first, as you will only be upgraded together or not at all. If you did indeed book seperately and were on different PNRs, then something may be a little fishy. Need more details before saying for certain though.
OP mentions booking the tickets together, which I interpreted as being on the same PNR. Since the OP said he would have been OK with only father having the upgrade, I assumed that the PNR had been split, with the son planning to give upgrade to father if there were only one FC seat.

However, if they remained on the same PNR, the priority order should have come from the PNR and not relative status between the two of them. However, the GA should have known then that either both or none would clear, so that her argument about father's MM status would not have mattered.

ADDED. This raises another question. If the lead passenger on the PNR has lower status, does that status determine where they are in the upgrade list or does the priority come automatically from the higher status one on the PNR? In this case, should we worry that if there had been another DM in same fare class with the reserve card who had requested the upgrade later, that person would have been above the father and son for the upgrade?
Old May 15, 2013, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP mentions booking the tickets together, which I interpreted as being on the same PNR. Since the OP said he would have been OK with only father having the upgrade, I assumed that the PNR had been split, with the son planning to give upgrade to father if there were only one FC seat.

However, if they remained on the same PNR, the priority order should have come from the PNR and not relative status between the two of them. However, the GA should have known then that either both or none would clear, so that her argument about father's MM status would not have mattered.
My interpretation was that the OP booked the tickets together but didn't split the PNR since no reference was made of splitting the PNR - by saying he would have given the upgrade to his father, I interpretted that as saying he thought he would be higher on the UG list than his father (because of the DL Reserve AmEx factor) but would have then just swapped seats if he got the upgrade and the father didn't, all while not realizing that with companion upgrades, unless you split the PNR, then it's "both or none". But that's why I hope the OP can provide some clarification since my interpretation may be wrong if I'm not understanding something correctly.
Old May 15, 2013, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
My interpretation was that the OP booked the tickets together but didn't split the PNR since no reference was made of splitting the PNR - by saying he would have given the upgrade to his father, I interpretted that as saying he thought he would be higher on the UG list than his father (because of the DL Reserve AmEx factor) but would have then just swapped seats if he got the upgrade and the father didn't, all while not realizing that with companion upgrades, unless you split the PNR, then it's "both or none". But that's why I hope the OP can provide some clarification since my interpretation may be wrong if I'm not understanding something correctly.
Let's hope the OP returns to clarify.
Old May 15, 2013, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

ADDED. This raises another question. If the lead passenger on the PNR has lower status, does that status determine where they are in the upgrade list or does the priority come automatically from the higher status one on the PNR? In this case, should we worry that if there had been another DM in same fare class with the reserve card who had requested the upgrade later, that person would have been above the father and son for the upgrade?
Correct - booked in same PNR, then split.
Old May 15, 2013, 4:23 pm

Correct - booked in same PNR, then split.
That's too bad. I was convinced that we had solved the mystery, assuming that you and father were on the same PNR.
Old May 15, 2013, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Something smells fishy here especially given the fact that DL's website details about upgrade policy has no mention whatsoever anymore (didn't it used to?) about the DL Reserve.

Does anyone know any of the Amex reps on Flyertalk who could chime in? I suspect we'll get an answer from them much sooner than from Delta.
Old May 15, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL MM, DL DM, Marriott PP
This http://www304.americanexpress.com/ge.../Delta-Reserve says nothing about upgrade priority. I guess that benefit is officially dead.
Old May 15, 2013, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MAMOHT
This http://www304.americanexpress.com/ge.../Delta-Reserve says nothing about upgrade priority. I guess that benefit is officially dead.
Wow. Way to slip that one through without informing anyone. I guess I will downgrade to the Plat card. As a DM I already get Skyclub membership, I have more than enough MQMs (and with the new MQD requirement what do more MQMs really do for me?), and 1st class companion certificate has been pretty useless. Not quite sure why I'm paying $450 when $150 for Plat card prob works just as well for me.

I'm surprised Amex hasn't blocked any of these moves from DL - the MQD requirement makes their MQMs less valuable and this of course makes the Reserve less appealing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.