Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2013, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Originally Posted by realjd
I was just being facetious. It does make me laugh though when DMs who get in for free complain about Amex customers who actually pay for access. Why can't we all just get along?
I personally do not complain about AMEX holders utilizing the resource available to them. I will point out that for many years, the Crown Room was a customer retention tool. It allowed Delta to give its core customers place to wait in a bit more comfort, have a cocktail, make a phone call, and have access to top tier agents for flying issues. It made making Platinum, the top tier then, very valuable to customer like me.
The credit thing at first was not too bad, but somewhere along the way, something shifted and all of a sudden, a lot more people started sowing up. Then the NW thing happened and more people started showing up and it was different from what they were used to, so it was a double whammy for them.

Looking back, the beginning of the end was renaming it Sky Club. This rebranding, if you will, gives you a window into their thought process. When the Luxury Bar came in, I, and many also knew it was over... From the standpoint as a customer retention tool. It is now a pseudo profit center that caters really more to the moderate flyer than a guy or gal who flies through a hub city 2 or 3 times a week. It is silly to boast on the www how much one spends flying Delta's big jets, but I am comfortable in stating that I cover my price of entry.

Like a lot of the other bad decisions made by Delta over the years, I will most likely still be around when the kids who made them have moved on to their next exciting opportunity.... Or, perhaps, eventually I won't. Until then, I will be at One Flew South drinking a good gin martini, chatting with whoever is sitting around me and having no fear of some ....... with his blue tooth ear piece shouting about how important his big deal is/was/will be after standing in line for 3 minutes while a patient Delta employee explains to Marge from Zanesville that the Delta Credit card she just got does not get her in the "Club" for "free"....
TH remains godlike
Old May 13, 2013, 1:15 pm

Looking back, the beginning of the end was renaming it Sky Club. This rebranding, if you will, gives you a window into their thought process. When the Luxury Bar came in, I, and many also knew it was over... From the standpoint as a customer retention tool. It is now a pseudo profit center that caters really more to the moderate flyer than a guy or gal who flies through a hub city 2 or 3 times a week. It is silly to boast on the www how much one spends flying Delta's big jets, but I am comfortable in stating that I cover my price of entry.
Agreed. I started flying Delta to some extent (still mostly AA at the time) in 2007 and really liked the clubs then. Sure, the facilities left something to be desired, but the service was excellent and they were almost always empty. I remember sitting in LGA one night with massive thunderstorms somewhere on the East Coast, and the place was still mostly empty. Try that at LGA today, even without any weather problems.

If I remember correctly, the rename was announced in Spring 2009. The end of the BE lounges was sometime in late 2009, and they started rolling out the new clubs (design we have today) in maybe late 2010. I was first in the new style club in 2011, but that had to do in part with the fact that I only fly through a few airports. From the point at which they started redoing the clubs to what they are now, the whole product was downhill.
Old May 13, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
I personally do not complain about AMEX holders utilizing the resource available to them. I will point out that for many years, the Crown Room was a customer retention tool. It allowed Delta to give its core customers place to wait in a bit more comfort, have a cocktail, make a phone call, and have access to top tier agents for flying issues. It made making Platinum, the top tier then, very valuable to customer like me.
The credit thing at first was not too bad, but somewhere along the way, something shifted and all of a sudden, a lot more people started sowing up. Then the NW thing happened and more people started showing up and it was different from what they were used to, so it was a double whammy for them.

Like a lot of the other bad decisions made by Delta over the years, I will most likely still be around when the kids who made them have moved on to their next exciting opportunity.... Or, perhaps, eventually I won't. Until then, I will be at One Flew South drinking a good gin martini, chatting with whoever is sitting around me and having no fear of some ....... with his blue tooth ear piece shouting about how important his big deal is/was/will be after standing in line for 3 minutes while a patient Delta employee explains to Marge from Zanesville that the Delta Credit card she just got does not get her in the "Club" for "free"....
I didn't start traveling heavily until around the time of the merger and I never had the chance to visit a proper Crown Room or World Club. This modern SkyClub is the only club I've known. Perhaps my standards are too low.

I have noticed the increase in crowds over the past few years. It was a lot easier to get a seat in an ATL club in the past. And now they're cheapening the booze which clearly sucks. But at the same time, the facilities are in much better shape than they were when I first joined (choice of decor aside), a number of new locations have opened, and the wifi speeds have gotten much better to the point where I can actually use the free wifi reliably now.

But like I said, I was just being facetious with my comment about DMs being freeloaders. What fun would the Delta forum be without a little bit of good natured trolling?
Old May 13, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by HongKonger
I don't recall any bashing of people who share info from DL contacts. People here appreciate it. They may not like the substance but they usually don't shoot the messenger. Please, keep sharing!
It was after being lambasted on this board for contributing comments from my friend at DL in the Sky Miles rumors thread last summer that I took a very intentional break from this site, at least publicly. I still have shared comments with those that have PM'd me. My contact hasn't, historically, been 100% correct, but his 'errors' have been when he has shared thoughts on ongoing discussions which led elsewhere by the time of implementation. None the less, he's accurate more than 90% of the time. Happy to share blurbs when they may be useful and when you start taking away our alcohol, I'd say that's pretty useful!
Old May 13, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
call me cheap, but I will never, ever, pay for a drink in a sky club. with the exception of taking out singles for tips, thats all thats coming out of my wallet.
+1!!
Old May 13, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Almost all the discussion in this thread has been about liquor, but my concern is more along the beer selection lines. If the fine local beers in SEA and SLC become monetized, I'll... well, I've got no leverage, since I get my membership for free. I guess I'll have to write an angry letter, though. Sigh

Seriously, is there anything Delta is actually making better this year? Anything at all?
Old May 13, 2013, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by BenA
Almost all the discussion in this thread has been about liquor, but my concern is more along the beer selection lines. If the fine local beers in SEA and SLC become monetized, I'll... well, I've got no leverage, since I get my membership for free. I guess I'll have to write an angry letter, though. Sigh

Seriously, is there anything Delta is actually making better this year? Anything at all?
They made a good year for the National Accounts Manager at Gordons....
Old May 13, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
Originally Posted by BenA

Delta has to pay for the dividend. Make their loyal customers pay for the dividend but ceo gets a pay increase when stock goes up. Only last for a short period though.
Old May 13, 2013, 8:28 pm

Delta is cannibalizing their SkyClubs. Plain and simple. It's just another division within Delta that Richard has charged with improving their margins - just like SkyMiles. As an investor, it's a great goal; as a fare paying passenger, it's a terrible decision.

To the point the previous poster made about Delta being aware that its club product is vastly falling behind third parties -- I encourage anyone flying in/out of LAS with access to the American Express club to use it -- you will be blown away. It makes Delta's product look like a Target cafe.
Old May 13, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by N522US
It makes Delta's product look like a Target cafe.
Ah, but you forget - target cafes have food in normal adult serving sizes.

That said - I'm displeased with the latest news about the clubs, but still prefer it to the US Air clubs (wine and beer - typically bud or bud light only). I would honestly even consider paying for some of the luxury bar offerings if they were not such a ripoff. If you want to upcharge for use of premiums, then do so- but don't expect us to pay full bar prices for poorly mixed cocktails and like it.
Old May 13, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by N522US
Delta is cannibalizing their SkyClubs. Plain and simple. It's just another division within Delta that Richard has charged with improving their margins - just like SkyMiles. As an investor, it's a great goal; as a fare paying passenger, it's a terrible decision.

To the point the previous poster made about Delta being aware that its club product is vastly falling behind third parties -- I encourage anyone flying in/out of LAS with access to the American Express club to use it -- you will be blown away. It makes Delta's product look like a Target cafe.
I saw that when I was there last week. Don't you need a Centurion card to get in? That's a pretty high barrier to entry.

I did win $25 on the penny slots at the airport though which made not having a lounge somewhat tolerable.
Old May 13, 2013, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I saw that when I was there last week. Don't you need a Centurion card to get in? That's a pretty high barrier to entry.
If you have an AMEX seems its $50 for a single use:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ounge-las.html

I did win $25 on the penny slots at the airport though which made not having a lounge somewhat tolerable.
That's a lot of pennies to win
Old May 13, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Let's just hope they don't get rid of the beer machines!
Don't worry, they won't. It will simply start dispensing Bud.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:13 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
call me cheap, but I will never, ever, pay for a drink in a sky club. with the exception of taking out singles for tips, thats all thats coming out of my wallet.
+2
Old May 13, 2013, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I suspect the thoroughbred crowd has a lot of clout.
Oh that it were so... The graded stakes end of the thoroughbred crowd flies private anyway. Virginia Kraft Payson has even appeared in NetJets commercials.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.