Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Old May 8, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MS02113
Somehow Delta responded to the (outsize?) outrage over "fake" Sky Club cheese—one of FTers' few victories in recent years, by my count. While I don't much care about the cheese, I'm pretty worked up about the prospect of cheap booze.

I no longer pay for membership as a DM, so I can't really vote with my wallet (apart from switching carriers, a step I'm not yet willing to take).

But maybe if we whine enough, Delta will reconsider?
I am close to concluding that Virginia Ave does not give a rat's rear end about what anyone thinks of the airline, or any of the continuing string of customer-hostile actions and policies that they have implemented.

Just envision RA flipping you off, and learn to make peace with that... you'll be better off if you can do this.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:25 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Somehow Delta responded to the (outsize?) outrage over "fake" Sky Club cheese—one of FTers' few victories in recent years, by my count. While I don't much care about the cheese, I'm pretty worked up about the prospect of cheap booze.

I no longer pay for membership as a DM, so I can't really vote with my wallet (apart from switching carriers, a step I'm not yet willing to take).

But maybe if we whine enough, Delta will reconsider?
The trouble is, we who pay for the SC are no longer the profit core; It's the dozens of $25 transactions per day. ...and any leisure traveler, with the most basic of math skills can run the following cost/benefit: If one buys 3 doubles at Chili’s at $10 (guessing here, but it seems a reasonable cost inc tip), that’s a total of $5 more than SC entry, and he/she can long-pour all day long in the SC. To this traveler, any well pour is just as good as the next, so the SC offers a better value, and the switch to Gordon’s is still better than the well at the avg airport bar.

Since DL is now focused on the Amex/$25 entry as a growth opportunity, these folks collectively have more economic clout than we who pay the annual fee.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by NapaPatTours
Since DL is now focused on the Amex/$25 entry as a growth opportunity, these folks collectively have more economic clout than we who pay the annual fee.
I suppose. It seems odd, though, that Delta would want to get into the business of operating for-profit bars that are essentially open to the general public. Wouldn't it be simpler to license the Delta brand to a third party that leases, builds, and operates the club spaces? Why not open all-you-can-drink Delta lounges outside airports? Stock the bar and keep that SoHo pop-up open year round?

Separately, perhaps someone in the food service industry can speak to wholesale liquor prices? Can Gordon's really be that much cheaper than Tanqueray? What about Gordon's vs. Skyy vs., say, Tito's? I understand that these aren't all Diageo brands, which seems to be Delta/Sodexo's vendor of choice.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I suppose. It seems odd, though, that Delta would want to get into the business of operating for-profit bars that are essentially open to the general public. Wouldn't it be simpler to license the Delta brand to a third party that leases, builds, and operates the club spaces? Why not open all-you-can-drink Delta lounges outside airports? Stock the bar and keep that SoHo pop-up open year round?

Separately, perhaps someone in the food service industry can speak to wholesale liquor prices? Can Gordon's really be that much cheaper than Tanqueray? What about Gordon's vs. Skyy vs., say, Tito's? I understand that these aren't all Diageo brands, which seems to be Delta/Sodexo's vendor of choice.
I think it's sorta weird that everyone's getting so worked up about the gin. At the bar where I worked last summer (a very upscale private club and restaurant), we actually charged more for Gordon's than we did for Tanqueray. I prefer Gordon's, personally. I don't recall what the wholesale prices were but they were quite similar. Tito's though is quite expensive, even at wholesale prices.

-J.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
I think it's sorta weird that everyone's getting so worked up about the gin.
I guess I'm more concerned about the whiskey and scotch selection, since I'm much more likely to drink these neat. But Gordon's vodka is pretty low-rent.

Tito's though is quite expensive, even at wholesale prices.
I only mentioned Tito's because it's well regarded, but considerably less expensive (at retail) than better known brands like Ketel One, Grey Goose, and Belvedere.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I only mentioned Tito's because it's well regarded, but considerably less expensive (at retail) than better known brands like Ketel One, Grey Goose, and Belvedere.
It's been a while, but I thought we paid more per bottle for Tito's than those other brands you mentioned. I'll see if I can get numbers from the supplier (I worked at the bar over the summer and did some ordering too when the buyer was on a two-week vacation, so I'm just going by what I remember).

-J.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I think it's sorta weird that everyone's getting so worked up about the gin. At the bar where I worked last summer (a very upscale private club and restaurant), we actually charged more for Gordon's than we did for Tanqueray. I prefer Gordon's, personally. I don't recall what the wholesale prices were but they were quite similar. Tito's though is quite expensive, even at wholesale prices.

-J.
Well, I like gin but I usually try not to drink a lot of it (seems to give me a far worse hangover than vodka). I have to yield to the expertise of others on this board though. The majority on the board seem to think Gordon's is awful. And if DL is switching brands to align costs it must be cheaper than the Tanqueray. I want no part of it. I have Tanquary and Bombay in my collection at home so I'll just enjoy it there.

Since the vodka (my primary drink) is apparently going to Gordon's I guess that is out too. While Ketel One is my favorite vodka, Skyy was perfectly acceptable. I suppose I'll be left with Jack Daniels since they are also getting rid of the CC.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Well, I like gin but I usually try not to drink a lot of it (seems to give me a far worse hangover than vodka). I have to yield to the expertise of others on this board though. The majority on the board seem to think Gordon's is awful. And if DL is switching brands to align costs it must be cheaper than the Tanqueray. I want no part of it. I have Tanquary and Bombay in my collection at home so I'll just enjoy it there.

Since the vodka (my primary drink) is apparently going to Gordon's I guess that is out too. While Ketel One is my favorite vodka, Skyy was perfectly acceptable. I suppose I'll be left with Jack Daniels since they are also getting rid of the CC.
I didn't realize they were actually going to switch to Gordon's vodka as well. In terms of cheap vodkas, it's one of the better ones since it's smooth (compared to Fleischmann's (my great-great grandfather owned a barreling company in Atlanta and Fleischmann's was one of their biggest clients ) or Popov; it's "up there" with Svedka in terms of value brands) and mixes pretty well. It's certainly no Skyy or _(insert decent vodka brand here)_ though.

-J.
Old May 9, 2013, 5:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
I didn't realize they were actually going to switch to Gordon's vodka as well. In terms of cheap vodkas, it's one of the better ones since it's smooth (compared to Fleischmann's (my great-great grandfather owned a barreling company in Atlanta and Fleischmann's was one of their biggest clients ) or Popov; it's "up there" with Svedka in terms of value brands) and mixes pretty well. It's certainly no Skyy or _(insert decent vodka brand here)_ though.

-J.
How many people ordered GNTs as a call? Vs TNT?
Old May 9, 2013, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Homework: everyone needs to come up with the announcement notice for this enhancement. Whoever has the closest one to the Delta announcement gets an empty Bombay Saphire mini bottle and a Laurel and Hardy welcome....
Missed my post #133 a couple pages ago?

Every year, millions of drinks are left partially unconsumed in SkyClubs. Some abuse of the rules prohibiting removal of alcoholic beverages from the Clubs also occurs thereby limiting the availability for others who are in a hurry and do not have time to wait for restocking of inventory. Because of this, Delta is taking proactive measures so that everyone may enjoy their stay, either lengthy or brief, in the SkyClub prior to their flight.

In order to provide a better and more predictable SkyClub experience, Delta is now offering beverage selections that are standardized in all locations. We hope you enjoy the new selection of spirits, beers, wines, and especially our Luxury Bar premium offerings which now have increased differentiation from our standard complimentary selection. In addition, new premium local micro-brews will be offered for purchase, along with pain killers to stave off the inevitable headache if you choose to indulge in our standard spirits.

As always, you may continue to enjoy our selection of complimentary soft drinks and snacks while connected to our free Wi-Fi. Sit back, relax, and recharge while waiting for your flight!
Old May 9, 2013, 6:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Sorry Rylan... That's a good one too. Is there a way I can formally return credit to you?
Old May 9, 2013, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sure, stock up on a collection of Tanq nips and offer me one if we happen to cross paths somewhere. Or we can 'enjoy' a GNT (gordons and tonic) at the skyklub.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by james318

I don't understand how outsourcing led to higher labor costs, that part doesn't really sit well with me.
Here's the version I heard...when DL outsourced the labor to run the SCs, the contract, supposedly, detailed how many people would be employed per location based upon number of daily patrons. That contract then also allows for a certain increase in employee numbers and raises of the salary/hourly wage of the employees over the life of the contract based upon the number of SC admissions. As clubs have become more crowded (and they seem more crowded to me today than a year ago even), the outsourced labor provider has cranked up their employee numbers and given raises in line with the contract which is actually making the SC more expensive to run then when DL was managing them directly. So, my interpretation is that all of these AmEx day passes may actually be bad for the cost of running the clubs, not just for overcrowding!
Old May 9, 2013, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
How many people ordered GNTs as a call? Vs TNT?
I had a few people specifically order Gordon's, including one of my more high-profile customers. Lots of people ordered T&T's though, though I thought it was because it was cheaper and wasn't the Barton's swill (and y'all complain about Gordon's... smh). Almost as many people ordered Sapphire; the Gordon's bottle sat right next to it (the Sapphire) on the top shelf (along with Bluecoat, Hendrick's, et al).

-J.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Just envision RA flipping you off, and learn to make peace with that... you'll be better off if you can do this.
I'm imagining RA superimposed on that Johnny Cash poster... they could just line the jetbridges with that instead of the "Loyalty Programs Should Be Loyal" ones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.