Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
What really irritates me over this is that Delta raised Sky Club prices recently. If I would have known about this "enhancement" in December, there is a good chance I wouldn't have renewed my membership.
Agreed. Their dishonesty is sickening. The degradation of the liquor should have been made clear when they informed us the membership fee was increasing.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by rylan
Are you kidding? So DFW SC is going ghetto also? Any replacement for CC or Baileys, or is that going to be the 'generic' white label booze also?
Bud and Bud Light? Thats just insulting. Those shouldn't even be considered beer.

Oh and yes I agree with the comment about Gordons vodka being interchangeable with no-brand liquor. As far as I'm concerned there isn't any discernible difference between Gordons and Bankers Club.
The bartenders didn't mention that anything was replacing the Bailey's and CC. They did mention that Jack Daniels would remain. The bartender jokingly said she'd put out a complaint box because people were going to be quite peeved.

Even with these "enhancements" at DFW, they aren't implementing the Luxury bar anytime soon there.

As always, you may continue to enjoy our selection of complimentary soft drinks and snacks while connected to our free Wi-Fi. Sit back, relax, and recharge while waiting for your flight!
You missed this line:

But please make sure you tip your bartenders for your complimentary soft drink.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Agreed. Their dishonesty is sickening. The degradation of the liquor should have been made clear when they informed us the membership fee was increasing.
We need a Save Our Booze initiative.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by james318
The bartenders didn't mention that anything was replacing the Bailey's and CC. They did mention that Jack Daniels would remain. The bartender jokingly said she'd put out a complaint box because people were going to be quite peeved.

Even with these "enhancements" at DFW, they aren't implementing the Luxury bar anytime soon there.
Seeing as this is the exact message that I got in IND which prompted me to start the tread, I would say that this change is far more than rumor or conjecture now.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Coming soon to a Sky Club near you...

Pay toilets... and even thinner toilet paper.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Pay toilets... and even thinner toilet paper.
Can it get any thinner? Its already 1 ply see-thru.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azeckel
Seeing as this is the exact message that I got in IND which prompted me to start the tread, I would say that this change is far more than rumor or conjecture now.
Does IND have a "luxury" bar? Perhaps only locations without pay for premium booze are getting the selection lowered to swill level?
Old May 8, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
I have resisted the urge to create this very post for a while now because people get lambasted on this board for sharing anything that comes from Delta connections, though some have heard these comments from me in PMs recently...not as much rumor as much as insight into what is happening.

I frankly didn't read the letter from DL about the price increases, I get my SC access as a DM not because I'm paying for the product. Yet, Sunday afternoon while golfing with my buddy in management at DL, he shared the following thoughts as I was griping to him about this very thread.

1. Yes, apparently, and to the consternation of many, the SCs are standardizing alcohol inventory. This apparently ties in with their outsourcing of staff within the past 1 - 1 1/2 years ago and the bid process they go through on food products for the club. I'm told that some of the 'premium' liquors will remain, based on availability from the supplier under the new contract while others will be replaced, including, to my personal displeasure, Tanqueray.

2. Beer selection MAY include an upcharge on microbrews and local favorites, my friend isn't quite sure yet how the final details on that will shake out because those are separately provided by local distributors not under the same catering contract and are renewable at the discretion of individual clubs.

3. Supposedly, some of the alcohol selections will broaden, if not immediately over time. I'm told that there are plans to have a house champagne/sparkling wine that will be available for no charge rather than the champagne/sparking wine that is currently only offered for a fee with the premium selections, as one example.

4. Supposedly, cost increases of memberships were due to increasing labor costs, again due at least in part, to DL outsourcing staffing and overall costs of running the clubs. I'm told that there are some positive benefits from the increasing club cost that will be made apparent over the next 12-18 months as DL is 're-imagining' the SC brand. While I was given some 'drawing board' examples, I don't wish to incite a riot by sharing any of those at this point as they are all hypothetical at this time. However, I'm told, broadly, to look at the offerings of the third party commercial ventures opening airport lounges and think of ways that DL needs to draw themselves more into line with these operations seeing as the cost to access those clubs are becoming increasingly cheaper, equal to or below the cost of a day pass to the SC and/or AmEx access and the recent major announcement of one of those 3rd party providers to increase the number of lounges at US airports within the next couple years. Apparently, DL is internally recognizing that with the advent of the broad availability of third party lounges that, gasp, they actually have to be competitive in the marketplace!

Funny thing about all this is that communication on the behalf of DL, as usual, has been poor at best. I'm sitting in the DFW club right now. Someone posted earlier that they had talked with the bartender here who said that he had heard these changes were coming. Bartender on duty now says she's not heard anything about liquor changes. Go figure it would be DL waiting until the last minute to confirm 'enhancements of service.'

Let the daggers begin...

Last edited by jsmith50; May 8, 2013 at 12:40 pm
Old May 8, 2013, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wheeee, Gordons gin and vodka and bottom shelf rum here we come! Guess we'll be forced to use mixers to hide the taste of everything.

Does that mean the stuff on planes is going to be crap too? Who is going to pay $7 for a Gordons anything and tonic/soda? Or a crap rum and coke?
Old May 8, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Wheeee, Gordons gin and vodka and bottom shelf rum here we come! Guess we'll be forced to use mixers to hide the taste of everything.

Does that mean the stuff on planes is going to be crap too? Who is going to pay $7 for a Gordons anything and tonic/soda? Or a crap rum and coke?
My understanding is that planeside catering is completely separate from anything else that is handled in a physical location, i.e. SC. Doesn't sound like alcohol offerings on planes are changing. Maybe we can use HOOU coupons for premium drinks in the SCs now?
Old May 8, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Originally Posted by james318
We need a Save Our Booze initiative.
SOB? Is the dual meaning intentional?
Old May 8, 2013, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by jsmith50
...Apparently, DL is internally recognizing that with the advent of the broad availability of third party lounges that, gasp, they actually have to be competitive in the marketplace! ...
If DL were smart, they'd use the competition as a way to differentiate themselves.

If someone wants to pay $25 to get into the generic lounge, and have the generic snacks, with the generic drink, let them. DL could then have an upscale alternative, and perhaps we could get our peace and quiet back.

I would not be upset with an increase in price, if I knew I would no longer have to deal with overcrowded and noisy SCs. ...not to mention those folks on their first day away from home, with their feet (and various other things), propped on every table.

Last edited by NapaPatTours; May 8, 2013 at 7:45 pm
Old May 8, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by NapaPatTours
SOB? Is the dual meaning intentional?
How about Save Our Tanqueray (SOT)?
Old May 8, 2013, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
How about Save Our Tanqueray (SOT)?
Save our Dewar's (SOD)?
Old May 8, 2013, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Someone Help Inform The Higher Echelon At Delta Soon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.