FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Now I know what I want to be when I grow up...A SkyClub Bartender (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1460215-now-i-know-what-i-want-when-i-grow-up-skyclub-bartender.html)

Krankenfaren Apr 20, 2013 11:58 pm

Now I know what I want to be when I grow up...A SkyClub Bartender

I was in one of the Atlanta SkyClubs last Wednesday for abut an hour, sitting at the bar (around 2:00). I saw the bartender put at least $30 in tips her HUGE jar which was already full. I figure I have 8-9 more years (which will put me at 55) left of a useful existence in my field, then I will need my second career until social security kicks in. It seems like a good gig, are they Delta employees?

GW McLintock Apr 21, 2013 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Krankenfaren (Post 20625945)
I was in one of the Atlanta SkyClubs last Wednesday for abut an hour, sitting at the bar (around 2:00). I saw the bartender put at least $30 in tips her HUGE jar which was already full. I figure I have 8-9 more years (which will put me at 55) left of a useful existence in my field, then I will need my second career until social security kicks in. It seems like a good gig, are they Delta employees?

I thought about that too, especially since I do have professional bartending experience. However, they generally are not Delta employees and thus do not receive flight or other Delta-specific benefits. Here at SLC, the bartenders are employed by Prospect. FWIW you can make a LOT more in tips elsewhere. A friend of mine was telling me how he brought home nearly a grand -- in tips alone -- after working in a club in NYC on a Friday night.

-J.

misterbean Apr 21, 2013 12:46 am

Also, you're always at the airport and NOT flying...

troyintn Apr 21, 2013 6:12 am

I am sure some clubs are a lot better than others. the small B club in ATL would be nice since it is a nice friendly little bar.

Thomas Hudson Apr 21, 2013 6:25 am

Bartenders making $30 in tips.... Holy cow, what is the world coming to?

Krankenfaren Apr 21, 2013 11:32 am

Originally Posted by troyintn (Post 20626770)
I am sure some clubs are a lot better than others. the small B club in ATL would be nice since it is a nice friendly little bar.

Ye, that's the one I was in.

GRALISTAIR Apr 21, 2013 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson (Post 20626811)
Bartenders making $30 in tips.... Holy cow, what is the world coming to?

Well drinks only - I was always taught when I came to the USA - it should be a minimum of 1 dollar per drink -unless of course a bottle of wine . If I am not driving, I would have 4-5 drinks so they would get a minimum of 5$ from me alone. Food would be at 20% tip and food + drink likewise. A busy bar I would hope they would get an absolute minimum of 30$. Otherwise as you ask "What is the world coming too?".

Some Brits may seem like tight wads. I want to assure you all, I certainly am not.

cmh flyer Apr 22, 2013 10:58 am

I still prefer the ole DTW setup - serve yourself - no tips needed. And no waiting around in a line just to get a Coke.....and pay a tip for a Coke!

Crazyhotelguy Apr 22, 2013 11:28 am

Originally Posted by troyintn (Post 20626770)
I it is a nice friendly little bar.

...connected to the Greyhound waiting room ;)

DLdweeb Apr 22, 2013 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Krankenfaren (Post 20625945)
are they Delta employees?

Nope, most work for Sodexo. DL unloaded the bartenders when the Luxury Bar started up.

It may not be a bad gig, but keep in mind there are shifts where you are just twiddling your thumbs. Not every shift is a big money maker......