Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

When was your first DL (or predecessor) Flight?

When was your first DL (or predecessor) Flight?

Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by jlemon
Yes, the youth fares were 1/2 off. I remember I even had a youth fare card, but I do not recall just what airline issued it......
I had youth fare cards for DL and EA, National and CO. Growing up in New Orleans these let me go almost anywhere.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
My first DL flights were in the summer of 1992, on HNL-SFO-ATL-SJU. The HNL-SFO and ATL-SJU flights were on L-1011s while the SFO-ATL flight was on a 763. I was 4 years old at the time, and I truly remember the second aircraft being different, as the No Smoking and Fasten Seat Belt signs were symbols instead of words (L-1011s had words while 767s have symbols).

On the return, our trip was SJU-ATL-HNL. SJU-ATL was on a 757 and ATL-HNL was on an L-1011.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: RR: A List Preferred. DL, UA, AA: may as well be nothing
February 4, 1996 LGW-MSP Northwest DC10.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
While in college, my fiance lived in Buffalo and I was in Washington, and then I moved to Boston, so all my flights were on Allegheny. I got my associateship in the Casualty Actuarial Society a couple of years after moving to Boston, and flew BOS-SJU for the induction ceremony. It was an L-1011 and the flight was something like 3 hours 2 minutes, and company policy allowed F for flights over 3 hours. I think I was in the aisle seat on the right side of the plane (was 2-2-2 IIRC) and I remember having an ice cream sundae for dessert and poured some Kalhua on it along with the hot fudge and whipped cream.

On the way back, I flew SJU-BUF to go to my fiance's university graduation, I forget the routing but I'm pretty sure it was in Y on UA, or at least one segment was.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL GM, CRC, HHS
Northeast DC-6, BOS to WAS, 1958
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:16 am

My first DL flight was ATL-HOU when I was four years old (4+ decades ago). My Mom was convinced I'd hit the wrong button and eject us from the plane but at least I did manage to shut off the air vent (she was freezing). When we visited friends at Mission Control NASA wouldn't let me in the control room. I've never forgiven them. 8-)
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: DL PM, AA PLT/2MM
Mid 1970's flight on Delta, DTW-ATL-MCO on an L-1011. I remember being in awe at how huge the plane was and that there were two aisles. My dad took me up to see the cockpit, and I got a plastic set of Delta pilot wings that I wore on my jacket for at least the next year.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by HongKonger
Northeast merged with DL in 1972 not 1965.

Trivia: there is a scene in Midnight Cowboy (1969) where a Northeast Airlines billboard can be seen in the background advertising their yellowbird service to Florida.
I stand corrected. It's a shame so many names have gone away.

Nothing like a radial engine belching smoke and oil running down the cowl to give you the love of flying.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
My first flight was when I was less than 1 year old on NWA from MSP-TPA. I was always a little nervous of flying as a kid (takeoff and landing especially), but I loved airplanes and became pretty good at identifying planes by their engine mounting in the mid-90s. I think my favorite plane as a kid was the DC-10 (so huge! video projector!), and my least favorite was the B727. How things have changed!
Old May 11, 2013, 6:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I can't remember the exact year but it would have been a Delta Shuttle LGA-BOS or LGA-DCA flight in the early 90's. I have vague memories of sitting at the back of an old 727-200 with my Dad as he explained what the rear exit door was for.

My first DL mainline flight was June of 1998, an MD-88 from LGA-ATL. The flight got delayed at LGA and we sat on the plane for a while. They were serving their Sky Deli box or whatever the box with a sandwich you picked up upon boarding was called. I remember thinking their coach product back then was vastly inferior to American's.
Old May 11, 2013, 11:42 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
December 1968, WYG>MSP on NW
Old May 12, 2013, 10:53 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I may as well add my first NW flight too:

August, 1997, a DC-9-30 from MKE-DTW. I remember the flight being delayed 20 minutes and being annoyed we were "only" served a bag of Honey Roast Peanuts. I also remember thinking even then that the LC Smith Terminal at DTW was a complete dump.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.