Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL travel insurance v double reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum

I have to have some serious oral surgery, which makes me nervous about a TATL trip 20 days later. (Pockets of air in recent surgery sites can cause excruciating pain in flight.)

Would anyone recommend the travel insurance DL offers? I've noticed it's still available on my reservation, and might be an option if the oral surgeon thinks it would still be too risky to fly.

Alternately, I could get a back-up reservation for 5 or 10 days after my current reservation. Right now, as noted in another thread, there's low-level availability to Europe. I could see how I'm doing and then either cancel the award ticket or change the dates entirely to the paid ticket.

I believe the costs are $250 for insurance; $150 as GM for canceling an award ticket; $150 for changing a paid ticket, plus changes in fare.

Thoughts? And if I did end up just changing the existing reservation, does it matter if both dates change as long as the airports stay the same?

Also, does anyone know of a good online dental discussion site?! I'm pretty freaked out about this procedure and would like to get some others' thoughts.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Most travel insurance policies exclude pre-existing conditions. I would assume that the version sold be DL has this provision, although you might be able to read the contract and check before purchase. If you're going to get travel insurance, at least comaprison shop for it; what DL offers impresses me as being overpriced.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Most travel insurance policies exclude pre-existing conditions. I would assume that the version sold be DL has this provision, although you might be able to read the contract and check before purchase. If you're going to get travel insurance, at least comaprison shop for it; what DL offers impresses me as being overpriced.
Thanks--you're right about that, which I hadn't thought of before.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
International change fees are $250, $150 only for domestic.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:09 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Actually many travel insurance policies do cover pre-existing conditions, but only if the policy is purchased within a short time frame after booking (usually something like within 14 days of your first trip payment, which is usually for the flight).

$250 for insurance? That seems very high. I pay less than that for an annual policy. Try insuremytrip.com to compare various policies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.