Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can I edit an award itinerary and remove one leg?

Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Exec

Hello,

I have booked 2 award tickets for SFO-ATL-AUA-ATL-SFO in July. I am currently GM but will be PM by the time I fly the award ticket.

I will most likely need to fly straight to work (CLT) from AUA.

Can I edit my award reservation, and for one of the 2 tickets 'remove' (i.e get the miles back) for the AUA-ATL-SFO. Instead, I would purchase a one way AUA-ATL-CLT.

Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
You won't get any refund of miles, as DL charges the same price for a one way award vs. a round trip award.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Have you tried pricing out SFO-ATL-AUA-ATL-CLT?

You'd have to orice it as a multi-city itinerary, SFO-AUA and then AUA-CLT.

Otherwise, you'd have two one-ways which would likely price out as two RTs, as AFAIK DL doesn't really do one-way award fares (unless something has changed recently, which is possible considering their rapid-change cycle).

If you are within 24 hours of booking, I think you can cancel and get your miles back with no penalty. Otherwise, as a GM, you'd pay the $150 change fee.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
You won't get any miles back because DL prices awards as round trips. If you removed AUA-ATL-SFO, you'd have a one-way ticket, which prices as a round trip, i.e. the same miles you paid. How about once you make PM changing the ticket to have a stopover in ATL on the return and then just fly from ATL to CLT on a separate ticket? You could have that return to ATL and then finish up the ATL-SFO portion.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by kitkat77
Have you tried pricing out SFO-ATL-AUA-ATL-CLT?

You'd have to orice it as a multi-city itinerary, SFO-AUA and then AUA-CLT.
That's not a legal open jaw since SFO-CLT is longer than AUA-CLT. Thus, it will cost even more miles, since it will price as two round trips.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Exec
Thanks everyone for the input. I will do a lovely SFO-ATL-CLT after the AUA-ATL-SFO. FML!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by sorka
Thanks everyone for the input. I will do a lovely SFO-ATL-CLT after the AUA-ATL-SFO. FML!
You could also do SFO-ATL-AUA-ATL-SFO, as planned. Basically just terminate in ATL, skip the ATL-SFO leg, and then book ATL-CLT as a paid fare?

However, you do run the risk that if AUA-ATL flight is delayed/cancelled and you miss the ATL-CLT paid fare...
Old Apr 16, 2013, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by sorka
Hello,

I have booked 2 award tickets for SFO-ATL-AUA-ATL-SFO in July. I am currently GM but will be PM by the time I fly the award ticket.

I will most likely need to fly straight to work (CLT) from AUA.

Can I edit my award reservation, and for one of the 2 tickets 'remove' (i.e get the miles back) for the AUA-ATL-SFO. Instead, I would purchase a one way AUA-ATL-CLT.

Thanks!
You could always nest tickets for 2 trips to AUA (or some other suitable open-jaw location).

When you hit PM, change the return to be at some point far into the future. Then, make another trip to AUA (or wherever else you pick), either buying a cash ticket or using another airline's miles for a one-way outbound and return on the Delta award.

You can still get value out of the return portion of the ticket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.