Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Surreal experience: Int'l flights gets stuck in mud / day lost on business trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

I would appreciate any input as to comp, etc. regarding a surreal experience I had last night. I was on a flight from Detroit to Amsterdam and our plane got stuck in the mud after its wheels went off the pavement as we were taxiing for take-off.

The airline kept us at the airport until 3 am or so (for what was supposed to be a 10:20 pm flight) before telling us the flight is cancelled and rebooking us. Beyond the hassle last night, I've lost a day of a business trip in Asia (AMS was the connection) and am busy rescheduling business meetings, hotels, etc. to account for that.

Delta offered a $100 voucher and $50 in airport money as comp, which feels anemic given the situation, especially for a Platinum in business class. Regular customer service didn't offer more on the phone today and I plan to contact corporate customer service during the week.

Could anyone offer some advice or words of wisdom? Is this just the level of Delta customer service these days?

For context:
http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...-metro-airport
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by TravelingWookiee
I would appreciate any input as to comp, etc. regarding a surreal experience I had last night. I was on a flight from Detroit to Amsterdam and our plane got stuck in the mud after its wheels went off the pavement as we were taxiing for take-off.

The airline kept us at the airport until 3 am or so (for what was supposed to be a 10:20 pm flight) before telling us the flight is cancelled and rebooking us. Beyond the hassle last night, I've lost a day of a business trip in Asia (AMS was the connection) and am busy rescheduling business meetings, hotels, etc. to account for that.

Delta offered a $100 voucher and $50 in airport money as comp, which feels anemic given the situation, especially for a Platinum in business class. Regular customer service didn't offer more on the phone today and I plan to contact corporate customer service during the week.

Could anyone offer some advice or words of wisdom? Is this just the level of Delta customer service these days?

For context:
http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...-metro-airport
OUCH! I was on the 777 from AMS inbound last night (maybe not the same bird)! I think DL can do more (email customer service at Delta.com) and I would have checked for a more direct routing first thing today. Keep us up to date on how it goes.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Compensation seems more like the "what everybody automatically gets". (Coach and non-status). You can e-mail a complaint on arrival in AMS. I'm thinking more like a $600 voucher. Stuff happens. You can also use your late arrival to your Asia destination as a reason for a free schedule change on your return if that helps.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Delta Points
OUCH! I was on the 777 from AMS inbound last night (maybe not the same bird)! I think DL can do more (email customer service at Delta.com) and I would have checked for a more direct routing first thing today. Keep us up to date on how it goes.
The Asian destination does not have a direct flight into it so a European connection was the closest I could get. I'm rebooked for later this afternoon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a drama free take-off.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bowgie
Compensation seems more like the "what everybody automatically gets". (Coach and non-status). You can e-mail a complaint on arrival in AMS. I'm thinking more like a $600 voucher. Stuff happens. You can also use your late arrival to your Asia destination as a reason for a free schedule change on your return if that helps.
Thank you for the tip.

I agree with your comment that "stuff happens." I actually felt bad for the crew that this happened. I can only imagine the paperwork and issues this may cause for them (especially the pilot).

Still, the $150 in comp took me aback considering that's less than the rebooking fee they would have charged me for an international flight.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Side note - when did DL start flying 777s DTW-AMS? A welcome change from the 330s that normally fly this route.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
What the others wrote, be sure to send an email to DAL.
Also save any bills/direct costs (phone, drinks, meals, rebookings/reservations etc) you had to make.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Sent info to OP via PM

Last edited by SuperG1955; May 10, 2013 at 10:36 pm
Old May 11, 2013, 1:29 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes:20590913
Side note - when did DL start flying 777s DTW-AMS? A welcome change from the 330s that normally fly this route.
Ditto. I just flew DTW-AMS-DTW and didn't see anything but 333s. Did I miss the 777?
Old May 11, 2013, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

The airline kept us at the airport until 3 am or so (for what was supposed to be a 10:20 pm flight) before telling us the flight is cancelled and rebooking us. ...
Guess that explains why, when I was checking in last night for my DTW-AMS flight, they were looking for volunteers.

IIRC, the pre-programmed bidding options stopped at $200 or $250.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; May 11, 2013 at 10:14 am
Old May 11, 2013, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irfan23
Ditto. I just flew DTW-AMS-DTW and didn't see anything but 333s. Did I miss the 777?
They had been using a 777 on one of the frequencies (the 9:55PM departure) for several months. They recently swapped that to an A332.
Old May 11, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Guess that explains why, when I was checking in last night for my DTW-AMS flight, they were looking for volunteers to IDB.

IIRC, the pre-programmed bidding options stopped at $200 or $250.
I don't think you can volunteer to IDB
Old May 11, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Guess that explains why, when I was checking in last night for my DTW-AMS flight, they were looking for volunteers to IDB.
Nope, had nothing to do with it.......
Old May 11, 2013, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[Deleted]

Last edited by Calchas; May 11, 2013 at 7:30 am Reason: Incorrect information
Old May 11, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: DL DM
This just rang so true to me:

Still, the $150 in comp took me aback considering that's less than the rebooking fee they would have charged me for an international flight.
If you want to change your plans it costs $250 (or $400? or more?), but if they change your plans, all they offer is $150?

What was that about a two way street?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.