Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Save Sky Miles II ... if not now, then when?

Save Sky Miles II ... if not now, then when?

Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by 5khours
Come on!! Give me a break!!

The SM program has been terrible for years, but most of you on this forum continue to fly DL.

This is just more of the same whimpering you've all been doing for years.

Nothing is going to happen and DL is going to continue to ignore you just like they have done in the past.
^

DL is isolating the 3G&G crowd.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
oooooh I'm sure you all have them hiding in the corner now.......

The only folks who need to grow up around here are those those that do not understand basic business concepts and want to whine about every little thing while hiding behind a key board. Nobody wants to step up and work for the change.
+1
It's funny how anyone of the opposite opinion is a "troll" on this thread. DL started giving away all these perks with status when economic times were tough to attract business. Now that times are improving, DL doesn't need to offer as many perks for free and can instead monetize some of those perks. FF programs and benefits are really marketing gimmicks built under the guise of a "rewards" or "loyalty" program. If airlines didn't need them, they probably wouldn't have them, and based on the fact that they're filling the seats and doing so at a profit, they don't need as many incentives to attract business anymore. The only thing I think DL is wrong for here is the short notice change, however that's just immoral IMO but probably not illegal, and DL did say they would honor SDC policy after 4/23 for tickets purchased before the news rules take affect (although I do have my doubts on that being the case).

Do I have my complaints about DL? Yes. But even if I share them here, I directly address them with DL as well, and I know I have two options following an "enhancement". I can accept it and continue to fly DL (as most people demonstrate that they do over and over and over), or I can finally say "Enough" and look for other options. Here's the simple fact: too few of you have taken the latter route and as long as you keep coming back, DL has no reason to change, regardless of what ads you post. Think negative publicity will work? Ask Ryanair. They thrive on it (Am I saying DL is Ryanair? No - I'm saying negative publicity doesn't seem to affect the airline industry too much). So before you go wasting all that money on some ad in the AJC or NYT, you should consider "Will this ad actually invoke the change I want?" And the answer is "Probably Not" and all you really did was contribute to AJC's and NYT's bottom line. The only way you will ever get change at DL is to get enough of you join together and send a letter off to Richard Anderson and the DL exec team and and layout just how much business you bring together (individually and as a group) and seriously threaten to switch away from DL and say you're not coming back until the policy is changed (and then follow through).
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
SSM 1 wasn't without its naysayers either.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
+1
It's funny how anyone of the opposite opinion is a "troll" on this thread. DL started giving away all these perks with status when economic times were tough to attract business. Now that times are improving, DL doesn't need to offer as many perks for free and can instead monetize some of those perks. FF programs and benefits are really marketing gimmicks built under the guise of a "rewards" or "loyalty" program. If airlines didn't need them, they probably wouldn't have them, and based on the fact that they're filling the seats and doing so at a profit, they don't need as many incentives to attract business anymore. The only thing I think DL is wrong for here is the short notice change, however that's just immoral IMO but probably not illegal, and DL did say they would honor SDC policy after 4/23 for tickets purchased before the news rules take affect (although I do have my doubts on that being the case).

Do I have my complaints about DL? Yes. But even if I share them here, I directly address them with DL as well, and I know I have two options following an "enhancement". I can accept it and continue to fly DL (as most people demonstrate that they do over and over and over), or I can finally say "Enough" and look for other options. Here's the simple fact: too few of you have taken the latter route and as long as you keep coming back, DL has no reason to change, regardless of what ads you post. Think negative publicity will work? Ask Ryanair. They thrive on it (Am I saying DL is Ryanair? No - I'm saying negative publicity doesn't seem to affect the airline industry too much). So before you go wasting all that money on some ad in the AJC or NYT, you should consider "Will this ad actually invoke the change I want?" And the answer is "Probably Not" and all you really did was contribute to AJC's and NYT's bottom line. The only way you will ever get change at DL is to get enough of you join together and send a letter off to Richard Anderson and the DL exec team and and layout just how much business you bring together (individually and as a group) and seriously threaten to switch away from DL and say you're not coming back until the policy is changed (and then follow through).
^

Awesome post, FLYDELTAJETS.

Also include your spend, not just miles. The latter doesn't prove a thing when it comes to value. Include your SM# so that the information can be verified. Letters without proof? Waste of time.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
SSM 1 wasn't without its naysayers either.
But it did have a lot of people who were actually willing to work and get the job done and there were at least four who took the lead and met with DL Exec's.....unlike this time when it appears that no one wants to step up.

I guess just posting is easier.........

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Apr 15, 2013 at 8:41 am
Old Apr 15, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Perhaps a start would be an offer to Jeff to have an introductory meeting on concerns with any HVC's that are attending the Travel Executive Summit on the 26th
Old Apr 15, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Folks,

If we (note, "we" includes "me") are going to move forward, we are going to need at least a core team to coordinate this.

Please look at the chat transcripts from SSM which are posted here:

http://www.saveskymiles.com/talk.shtml

We need something approaching that level of enthusiasm, engagement, and participation.

Who is willing to devote some sweat equity to this effort?

Or, are you going to let people who want to discourage you from standing up for yourselves push you around and prevail in the end?

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Apr 16, 2013 at 1:48 pm Reason: small cleanup
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Will we have a rapid launch of SSMIII if/when fare-based award redemption kicks in? I'd rather save my ire for that...
The boulder is rolling down hill already and picking up speed.

Do you want to try to stop (or at least slow it down now) or do you want to wait until the momentum is unstoppable?

Simple choice.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
The boulder is rolling down hill already and picking up speed.

Do you want to try to stop (or at least slow it down now) or do you want to wait until the momentum is unstoppable?

Simple choice.
It's unclear if anything would be reversed with member protests, and certainly we will never get it all reversed. SDC affects me less than FBAR and I pick my battles carefully.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87

As for the devaluation of miles? Get over it. Miles are as subject to the laws of inflation as the dollar. When the airlines give away miles for everything from flying to hotels to rental cars and credit cards and for simply being able to convert oxygen into carbon dioxide, this logically has to be met by a decrease in the value of the mile to the airlines.
Agreed - link to be provided below

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...valuation.html
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have been told that one farsighted FT member owns several domain names that are very suited to a SSM-II effort and will make our selection available to us.

Now we need someone with website development credentials. Any volunteers?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL FO MM, AA EXP MM, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I will start the ????? level, put me down for $50.00
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I'm a good acquaintance with a marketing professor who specializes in aviation who is also a Delta platinum medallion. I'll see if i can get his take on the recent hits to the Slymiles...err Skymiles program.

I think the death of your Skymiles after you die is the worst thing brought about in these recent changes. I don't personally travel on award tickets. Instead I book tickets for family and friends with my miles. They have value and we earned them so we should have the say so of who we would like to them to once we make our final connection to that great hub in the sky...
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I'm a good acquaintance with a marketing professor who specializes in aviation who is also a Delta platinum medallion. I'll see if i can get his take on the recent hits to the Slymiles...err Skymiles program.

I think the death of your Skymiles after you die is the worst thing brought about in these recent changes. I don't personally travel on award tickets. Instead I book tickets for family and friends with my miles. They have value and we earned them so we should have the say so of who we would like to them to once we make our final connection to that great hub in the sky...
I don't see the terrible thing about the death policy change.
For those types of corporations, I told my GF the password to a USB key that she would be able to retrieve from me (in my will.)
Then, she could book award tickets.
(I doubt that DL would know that I died unless I was 100+ years old at time of my death.)
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
OK, we have my $300 and Bubba's $100.

Who's up next?

You got $250 from me. And I can probably up it later..

As I've said before, I think we need to buy some ad space ideally inside the ATL airport, if not then billboards outside..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.