Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Code purple ATL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Word on the street 1850 had a sporty landing...
That would be a fair assessment.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Finally departed ATL nearly 3.5 hours late... home at 3:30 AM.

Again, I don't expect the airline to be able to control the weather, but I do expect timely, reliable information and competent response during IROPs.

DL continued to post delusional information on departure time, even long after it was apparent that departure time would be at least an hour later than posted, as the inbound airplane had not even departed JAX.

Then we were told that there had been a change in aircraft and that we would be departing at a reasonable hour, after the new aircraft reached the gate.

Then, we were told that, no, we were going to wait for the original inbound aircraft after all.

On top of that, DL allowed themselves a leisurely 70 minutes to turn the flight around.

Finally, at our currently posted departure time, with boarding complete and the doors closed, the captain comes out and tells the lead FA to reopen the boarding door.

The plane, which had just sat at the gate for 70 minutes, needed 1500 gallons of "gasoline" (as he put it when he finally made a PA announcement).

So, we waited another 45 minutes while 12,000 pounds of fuel was added... with no updated information forthcoming from the cockpit.

To conclude, this one one of those flights where, when you finally pull in to the gate at your arrival airport, the door to the cockpit stays firmly closed... no one has the gumption to come out and expose themselves to the PAX.

-------------------------

BTW... never got one notification of the delay by e-mail, phone, or iPhone app.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Apr 12, 2013 at 2:33 pm
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL 5MM/PM/FC, UA Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Life Plat, HLT Gold, Club Carlson Concierge
Ugh...

I couldn't get one stinking flight to work right for me this week. ATL last night was the crowning touch -- although I should be thankful that I at least got to SAV. My only issue with DL was that they showed absolutely no sense of urgency to get my flight out before the second (and worst) batch of weather moved in. Very frustrating end to a very frustrating travel week.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HH Diamond
Rumor has it you still can't get to ATL from LGA today. But you can't get virtually anywhere from LGA today...
Old Apr 12, 2013, 1:11 pm

Different perspective here. Took off on 5394 at about 7pm CST and flew up around Cincinatti (according to the pilots, wonder if this was in case we had to divert and land for a ground stop?) before heading south into Atlanta. Had a bit of delay taking off due to, I think, ATC/pilots trying to find us a hole to sneak our plane through to get us home (the storm wasn't really moving east as much as it was moving north). Made it in around 10:30pm EST after a rough few minutes descending.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by mhop1027
Different perspective here. Took off on 5394 at about 7pm CST and flew up around Cincinatti (according to the pilots, wonder if this was in case we had to divert and land for a ground stop?) before heading south into Atlanta. Had a bit of delay taking off due to, I think, ATC/pilots trying to find us a hole to sneak our plane through to get us home (the storm wasn't really moving east as much as it was moving north). Made it in around 10:30pm EST after a rough few minutes descending.
That's a particularly interesting looking one on flightaware:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...240Z/KTUL/KATL

DL 925, mentioned earlier, had quite an air tour of greater Milledgeville:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...330Z/KMCO/KATL

Clear skies over ATL today, only the film of pollen persists. A-choo!
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
Code purple?
Much better than code brown.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
I was on DL 1030 (ATL-CMH) yesterday. All was originally fine... Minor delay pushing back and a long taxi time, but nothing out of the ordinary on a Thursday. Took off down the runway, only to abort about 5 seconds into it. Back to the gate, plane goes MX (mechanics on board and pilots confirming). Rumor is that the mechanics were on the plane earlier before a lot of people had arrived to the gate area. Can't rebook anything online or on the app for some reason. We are assigned a new aircraft on its way down from CVG, but it's delayed now for WX. Finally get on the new aircraft, only to have ATL go to a ground stop while we're on the tarmac.

End up getting into CMH a little after 1 am, nearly 4 hours late. The kicker was the GA in ATL and the FA on the second flight constantly referring to the "weather delay" after our first attempt went MX. I understand that things happen in air travel... But don't p!ss down my leg and tell me it's raining. It's becoming a culture of stupidity. Own up to what happened. It isn't even the GA or FA's fault that the plane had mechanical issues, but skirting the issue by blaming the weather for everything is basically telling everyone in the gate area "You're too stupid to understand what just happened. What you witnessed was actually an illusion. The weather is all to blame for our aircraft breaking. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

C'mon, man.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles- GM, Hilton HHonors- Gold
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
That's a particularly interesting looking one on flightaware:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...240Z/KTUL/KATL

DL 925, mentioned earlier, had quite an air tour of greater Milledgeville:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...330Z/KMCO/KATL

Clear skies over ATL today, only the film of pollen persists. A-choo!
I wonder if they get the extra MQM's for those trips?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by northwest_buckeye
I was on DL 1030 (ATL-CMH) yesterday. All was originally fine... Minor delay pushing back and a long taxi time, but nothing out of the ordinary on a Thursday. Took off down the runway, only to abort about 5 seconds into it. Back to the gate, plane goes MX (mechanics on board and pilots confirming). Rumor is that the mechanics were on the plane earlier before a lot of people had arrived to the gate area. Can't rebook anything online or on the app for some reason. We are assigned a new aircraft on its way down from CVG, but it's delayed now for WX. Finally get on the new aircraft, only to have ATL go to a ground stop while we're on the tarmac.

End up getting into CMH a little after 1 am, nearly 4 hours late. The kicker was the GA in ATL and the FA on the second flight constantly referring to the "weather delay" after our first attempt went MX. I understand that things happen in air travel... But don't p!ss down my leg and tell me it's raining. It's becoming a culture of stupidity. Own up to what happened. It isn't even the GA or FA's fault that the plane had mechanical issues, but skirting the issue by blaming the weather for everything is basically telling everyone in the gate area "You're too stupid to understand what just happened. What you witnessed was actually an illusion. The weather is all to blame for our aircraft breaking. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

C'mon, man.
A few months ago they cancelled a flight of mine due to weather that was clearly BS. I wrote delta because they cancelled the flight and created a new one 13 hours later (in the morning) even though every other airline was flying into the destination. They denied shenanigans but gave me a $250 voucher which I was happy with. Still think the ground crew at TVC left early to watch the super bowl.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.