catching a Delta flight in ATL

Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: delta diamond, Hilton Diamond
catching a Delta flight in ATL

Greetings,
I have a meeting coming up at the Marriott that is connected to ATL. I have never been there and do not know how close it is. My meeting will be over at 1:00pm sharp. Do I have enough time to catch a 2:11pm flight? I am diamond, no bags to check and have TSA pre-check if that helps. Thanks for the advice!
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
The Marriott is a shuttle ride from ATL. You may want to check their shuttle schedule or consider a taxi. It might be close, but not impossible, especially if you have Pre Check.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - 2 Million Miler; Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson GOLD. ParknGo loves me
Maybe OP means the new Atlanta Airport Gateway Marriott (connected via Skytrain).

If so, that's a 2-minute train ride to the baggage area. Then, If pre-check is available and you go right through, shouldn't be a problem.

Again, assuming it's the new Marriott at the Gateway Convention Center.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
There's also a Marriott thats on the train - no shuttle needed.

If you check in earlier in the day and have a boarding pass you should be able to make it - but as usual YMMV as you may not qualify for pre-check for some strange reason that day or the pre-check line may actually be longer than the regular line (though that's normally just monday am).

Personally if its me I would do it.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Yep it is the Marriott that has a train to the airport. No shuttle needed. Thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Also, this is on a Saturday, so that might help a bit.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by brad9696
Maybe OP means the new Atlanta Airport Gateway Marriott (connected via Skytrain).

If so, that's a 2-minute train ride to the baggage area....
The two minute ride is once you are on the train.

The OP will have to walk from his meeting area to the platform, then wait for the train. According to the ATL website, the wait in off-peak hours (Saturday would qualify) should be "no more than 10 minutes" but no absolute schedule is given. The Skytrain lets you out at the ground transportation area which is a further walk than the baggage area. The OP did not say what concourse they are, but you will need to factor in the Planetrain (plus wait time) to the concourse plus the walk to the gate. That "two minute ride" is going to be augmented by at least 20 minutes, or more depending on gate, plus security time.

If the OP is fairly athletic and doesn't mind saying "excuse me" a lot to the kettles he cuts off trotting to the gate, he may make it. It is cutting it _very_ close and I have the feeling we will be seeing the makings of another "Delta closed the door on me..." threads.

I would plan on ducking out of the meeting early (get a seat near the door ).
Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, National Emer-Exec, SPG-Plat, Ichotels-RoyalAmba/Plat
Leave at 1pm, I'd say at the most 30 minutes to take the train, go through security and to the gate. I think it is possible.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by keeton
The two minute ride is once you are on the train.

The OP will have to walk from his meeting area to the platform, then wait for the train. According to the ATL website, the wait in off-peak hours (Saturday would qualify) should be "no more than 10 minutes" but no absolute schedule is given. The Skytrain lets you out at the ground transportation area which is a further walk than the baggage area. The OP did not say what concourse they are, but you will need to factor in the Planetrain (plus wait time) to the concourse plus the walk to the gate. That "two minute ride" is going to be augmented by at least 20 minutes, or more depending on gate, plus security time.

If the OP is fairly athletic and doesn't mind saying "excuse me" a lot to the kettles he cuts off trotting to the gate, he may make it. It is cutting it _very_ close and I have the feeling we will be seeing the makings of another "Delta closed the door on me..." threads.

I would plan on ducking out of the meeting early (get a seat near the door ).
I'm with keeton on this one. It can be done, but it would be too close for my comfort.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
I did this exact thing, but I had a later flight and sdc'd...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.