Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
This wiki covers basic info and common FAQs. For full terms and conditions, see the relevant DL web page: Same Day Travel Changes

Same-Day Confirmed

To request an SDC, you can
  • Use the Same Day Change function on the Today screen in the Delta app (recommended, but with some peculiarities -- may not show all routings, and if changing to an earlier or later flight will only show the option within 24 hours of the target flight)
  • Click the "Change" button during OLCI (after you click "Check in" on the first screen)
  • Call a phone agent (recommended if app does not work)
  • Use Delta's chat functions via the app (hit or miss)

Online SDC does not seem to present all the options available to you, especially when you are SDCing a GAP fare and there is no inventory in your fare bucket. Calling in is best. People have had success with Twitter but that may depend on how "involved" the SDC is.

You can SDC starting 24 hours before your initial departure. You can SDC to any flight leaving the same calendar day. There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (main cabin)?

A. Yes (whether revenue or award ticket). Note there is sometimes inventory in a fare bucket even though it may not be offered for sale on the web site. SDC on V or N (low award) fare is not unheard of.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (Comfort+)?

If booked into W (not WU) there only needs to be an available seat in Comfort+ regardless of fare class.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (First/Business/DeltaOne)?

Q. What about SDC with RUC/GUC/mileage upgrades (that have already cleared)?

As of November 2017:

* If your original ticket is a Delta OneTM ticket, you may move to any other flight with a premium cabin seat available
* If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.
It is unclear how this affects SDC if you are confirmed in RY/OY.

Q. I have a premium cabin fare, can I SDC to an itinerary with a single-cabin aircraft?

Written reply received from Delta, Dec. 2015:

f the aircraft does not support a First/Business/Delta One cabin you are still eligible to change to the flight as long we are still selling seats on the flight.

Q. What about Medallion complimentary upgrades?

A. These do *not* count as premium cabin fares even if you already cleared. The main cabin rules for SDC regarding fare inventory will apply, and if it goes through you will SDC into a main cabin seat (but you are eligible to be upgraded again -- make sure you appear on the upgrade list on your new itinerary)

Q. Can I change the routing/connections?

A. You cannot SDC from a connecting itinerary to a non-stop itinerary. In all other cases the answer is unclear. The SDC rules do not explicitly prohibit routing changes. However ticket fare rules usually contain a clause that additions/changes to connections must be permitted by the fare rules. These are apparently in conflict, and practically speaking it depends on the agent/supervisor you speak with. Some refuse, some allow anything reasonable.

Q. Can I change the origin/destination?

A. Technically no, but there is an unwritten rule that DMs can make co-terminal changes. (There are some unintuitive gaps in what DL considers co-terminal, e.g. DAL and DFW do not count.)

Q. How are SDC flights credited?

A. You will earn MQMs for the route you actually fly.

Q. Can I SDC onto a red-eye later the same day, that connects to a flight the following morning?

A. Yes (though the agent may need to process it manually)

Q. I have a red-eye flight or a flight leaving shortly after midnight; can I SDC to a flight the next day/day before?

A. Officially, no. In practice, some people have reported success (with no real pattern to status). Can't hurt to ask.

Q. Can I SDC on an international itinerary?

A. Officially, no. In practice, you can SDC remaining domestic flights after all international flights have been flown; if you have onward checked bags it is best to do this before you re-check them. There are non-zero reports of SDC of domestic flights before connecting to an international flight but this should not be counted on.

Q. Can I SDC an Alaska Airlines codeshare?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can SDC from a DL marketed, AS operated flight to a DL operated flight. You can not SDC to another AS operated flight, even if it's DL marketed.
Originally Posted by jrl767
you may be able to SDC from a DL-marketed AS-operated flight to another AS flight under AS SDC rules (request within 6 hrs of desired flight, as long as you make the request before the scheduled departure of your booked flight; $50 fee if you don't have AS status)
Same-Day Standby

"Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available."

"You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights."

SDS can be requested 24 hours before your initial departure. GM+ can SDS to any flight departing the same calendar day; others can only SDS for an earlier flight. No routing changes are permitted.

SDS costs $75 ($50 for tickets issued before 15 MAR 2017) but only if you clear the standby list (waived for GM+) SDS is now free for all passengers as of August 4th, 2021

Upgrades are not preserved -- if you already cleared the upgrade on your original flight you must still standby for the main cabin.

Q. Is it possible to get upgraded after a standby?

A. Almost always no, whether because it is explicitly forbidden or because the standby list is processed after the UG list and it is rare for any F seats to be leftover after that happens. So, maybe sometimes?

Same-Day Standby Upgrades

"The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings [...]"

This is not the same as upgrading after successfully standing by for a main cabin seat (see above).

SDSU fee chart (may be out of date):

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska

Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles $49 $119 $169

501 to 1,000 miles $79 $149 $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles $99 $209 $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles $149 $249 $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling Y / B / M / H / Q / K Fares

0 to 500 miles $50

501 to 1,000 miles $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles $225

3,001 miles and up $350

Print Wikipost

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
I was actually denied in this situation over the phone, but did get the downgrade at the gate. Incomprehensible really, but HUCA is my best advice.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Situation
I never said anything about random airports and I don't recall any of the one-stop options pricing out as a broken fare when I booked the flight except for a couple of flights that had extremely heavy loading to hubs. I made a perfectly reasonable request to go from a direct flight that left in the a.m. to an evening departure from SEA to SLC to the East Coast, departing SLC the same day and arriving the next morning. DL's SLC hub is not a "random airport."
Well, I believe that leaves two possible destinations. If you are talking about JFK, the SEA-JFK fares do in fact require non-stop routing
PUBLISHED RTG SEA-NYC/DL501 /TAR-DRG1 EF-05JUN18 DIS-INDEF
TRAVEL MUST BE NONSTOP OR DIRECT

If, however, you were flying to BOS, then yes, SLC is a valid routing for those fares
PUBLISHED RTG SEA-BOS/DL139 /TAR-DRG1 EF-18SEP18 DIS-INDEF

MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. SEA-SLC/SEA/RDU/NYC/MSP/MEM/DTT/CVG/BOS/ATL-BOS

Those routing rules are directly from EF.
I got shot down for an SDC from DTW-LAX non-stop to DTW-SLC-LAX a few months ago for precisely this reason (my original booking class was available on the DTW-SLC-LAX flights, so that was not an issue). I knew the DTW-LAX fares require non-stop routing, so I didn't fight over it.

By the way, it's not always obvious when a broken fare is being presented and you sometimes have to drill down into the fare rules. For example, DL can show SEA-MSP-JFK as First(A), but if you go into the fare rules you will see it is actually a broken fare involving two A fares (one for SEA-MSP and one for MSP-JFK).

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 26, 2018 at 1:50 pm
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by funflier
I was actually denied in this situation over the phone, but did get the downgrade at the gate. Incomprehensible really, but HUCA is my best advice.
Same here. I do this every so often. Sometimes takes a HUCA and the agents I get tend to ask over and over if I'm sure I want a coach seat, but it is definitely possible.

Usually when I do this I also get reticketed in Y and am at the top of the UG list, so I sometimes still end up back in FC anyway.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by LBJ
Well, I believe that leaves two possible destinations. If you are talking about JFK, the SEA-JFK fares do in fact require non-stop routing
PUBLISHED RTG SEA-NYC/DL501 /TAR-DRG1 EF-05JUN18 DIS-INDEF
TRAVEL MUST BE NONSTOP OR DIRECT

If, however, you were flying to BOS, then yes, SLC is a valid routing for those fares
PUBLISHED RTG SEA-BOS/DL139 /TAR-DRG1 EF-18SEP18 DIS-INDEF

MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. SEA-SLC/SEA/RDU/NYC/MSP/MEM/DTT/CVG/BOS/ATL-BOS

Those routing rules are directly from EF.
I got shot down for an SDC from DTW-LAX non-stop to DTW-SLC-LAX a few months ago for precisely this reason (my original booking class was available on the DTW-SLC-LAX flights, so that was not an issue). I knew the DTW-LAX fares require non-stop routing, so I didn't fight over it.

By the way, it's not always obvious when a broken fare is being presented and you sometimes have to drill down into the fare rules. For example, DL can show SEA-MSP-JFK as First(A), but if you go into the fare rules you will see it is actually a broken fare involving two A fares (one for SEA-MSP and one for MSP-JFK).
Where did you find the fare rules from EF? I have not been able to locate those. Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight
Where did you find the fare rules from EF? I have not been able to locate those. Thanks!
When you look up fares with the Fare Information Search, the routing rules are available at the link at the right with the 4 connected dots.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If SDC'ing a flight, can you take a voluntary downgrade? In this instance, I have a paid F flight, but want to switch onto an earlier flight. The 2nd leg is of a distance I don't mind sitting in C+ as it would get me in early enough I don't care.

TIA
Yes it's allowed. Agents don't always know how to do it.
kthomas likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bourbonfan
I was flying LGA-IAH in paid F (G fare). Missed my morning flight by a minute (my fault, traffic), Later direct flights are oversold but the red coat at the gate gets me LGA-MSP-IAH. LGA-MSP leg is F, MSP-IAH leg is C+. When I get to MSP I see there are 4 seats in F still available and delta.com is still selling F seats on the leg. My question is: had I called 15 minutes earlier and tried to SDC, instead of gambling and running to the gate and missing my flight, would I have gotten F on both legs?
Possibly yes, possibly no. It depends if those seats were available then. However I doubt redcoat booked you in C+ when there was F seats available.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by LBJ
The fare you were on could have very well required non-stop routing. There's been a fair number of anecdotal observations here to suggest that the underlying fare class of the W fare is used for upgrade priority.
That certainly (just FWIW) seems to create a very odd situation for SDC, where you have higher priority if there are C+ available, but potential lower priority in a situation where C+ is full.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
SDC with RUC experience.

Was trying to move to a later flight, so online SDC was not an option. All it showed me was flights the day before for a $3k add/collect (original flight was first one of the day).

Called first agent, she immediately had a heavy sigh and started saying I'd have to rebook to main cabin because "the only reason you got a complimentary upgrade was our cerfiticate." And yes, she pronounced it exactly as I just spelled it. I very quickly ended the call.

Called second agent, she understood what to do. Said the system was telling her things were available but not confirming the new flight, so she would reissue manually. Lots of typing, maybe 3-4 minutes of me just listening to typing and the occasional "I'm still working on it, bear with me" which is of course appreciated. Ticket reissued, email address confirmed for receipt, and we settle on seat assignment. Hooray! Except....and I should've known, the seat I requested she said wasn't available. I had assumed maybe someone grabbed in in the few minutes we were on the phone. Nope. Immediately after I hang up, I get the email receipt showing I've been SDC'd to the 9pm flight, when I was looking for the 9am. Oops.

At this point, my ticket is reissued in A class. Not RY.

Called third agent, briefly explained the situation, shared a good laugh, and she got to work. She said she could see the original 7am booking, see what the prior agent did, and would just need to document some stuff since. A bit of typing, confirming my info, etc., and then very clearly saying the new flight time/number - she had me on my way in maybe 3 minutes tops. Confirmed into the nice mid-cabin aisle I wanted all along.

TL;DR:
- Agent 1: Clueless. Ran away quickly.
- Agent 2: Knew what to do and went the extra mile of a manual reissue, but made a critical (if somewhat understandable) mistake.
- Agent 3: Roses.

This stuff is a HUCA game, for sure.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:18 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Asked for a SDC today via twitter, agent replied "Same Day Confirmed can only apply on your original routing." Sigh.

Called in, no problem as expected.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta DM
Casually called Delta Plat line to do SDC while waiting for the green to clear during a round. My flight was 900am EWR-ATL for past Sunday. The agent put me on the 545pm flight and was immediately placed in to C+. Got the usual upgrade email x2(this is happening since the outage). Got to the airport early. Went to the lounge looking to be put on the standby for 235pm flight. The agent tells me 130pm flight was delayed and just got in. She was locked out of the standby but called the gate to put me on that flight which was boarding in a few minutes. Went to the gate and got a window seat and the aisle was empty. Just love the perk and the way it works. If only RUCs were this easy...

Just booked another flight for the same route around Christmas time. The fares are T and U.

Last edited by golfr; Oct 1, 2018 at 8:01 am
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfr
Casually called Delta Plat line to do SDC while waiting for the green to clear during a round. My flight was 900am EWR-ATL for past Sunday. The agent put me on the 545pm flight and was immediately placed in to C+. Got the usual upgrade email x2(this is happening since the outage). Got to the airport early. Went to the lounge looking to be put on the standby for 235pm flight. The agent tells me 130pm flight was delayed and just got in. She was locked out of the standby but called the gate to put me on that flight which was boarding in a few minutes. Went to the gate and got a window seat and the aisle was empty. Just love the perk and the way it works. If only RUCs were this easy...

Just booked another flight for the same route around Christmas time. The fares are T and U.
You made a call while on the golf course? What's the world coming to...

Good to hear - always nice when things fall together like that.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by gooselee
You made a call while on the golf course? What's the world coming to...

Good to hear - always nice when things fall together like that.
Ah... I don't usually do this but we were waiting quite a bit. My 4some usually plays in 3 hours 45 mins. But we played later in the morning which slows things down considerably. The call was swift.
gooselee likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Called today to do a SDC with my RUC applied. We had a aircraft change for LGA-IAH from an E75 to E70 and I got bounced despite confirming my RUC 3 weeks ago. Called platinum desk and had some pushback, but when I mentioned I had been confirmed and then removed she was able to override and move my flights. Took a bit longer than normal SDC, but worth it.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
..We had a aircraft change for LGA-IAH from an E75 to E70 and I got bounced despite confirming my RUC 3 weeks ago....
Off topic request for a data point:

Were you confirmed on the 175 with a seat in row 4? Or were you confirmed without an assigned seat? Or were you confirmed with an assigned seat in rows 1 thru 3?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.